Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-03-2015, 13:50   #46
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: AC Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahe-Mahe View Post
Does anyone out there have AC installed in their Mahe? I am hearing that additonal equipment (larger inverter) needs to be installed as well. Where does the AC unit go? Any idea on price? I have been told that I will need a 16,000 BTU unit for the entire craft.

Thanks!
As a practical matter, you can not install enough batteries on your boat to run a 16,000 BTU air conditioner from an inverter. You might get an hour or two before the batteries are discharged.

If you intend to run an air conditioner on your boat, you need shore power or a genset, properly sized for the AC.

Old 03-03-2015, 13:56   #47
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Reverse Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Keep in mind that water cooled/heated reverse cycle systems freeze up in water temps below about 4 C. They work great in the tropic or subtropics but are probably not appropriate above about 35-40 degrees lat except in the summer. I have reverse cycle heaters in North Carolina (35N) but they are quite marginal here in the depth of the winter when our water temps get down to around 5 C.
Quite true.

After going through two reverse cycle AC units (another story altogether), I found a company that makes AC units with electrical resistance heating instead of reverse cycle. Not quite as efficient, but I pay a fixed rate for electricity. It's a lot simpler and the wear on the compressor, etc. is cut in half because it only operates in the cooling mode.

I don't need to winterize my AC in my location but I could if I wanted to and still have heat.

Tags
air conditioning, mahe 36

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: