Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 12:22   #1

41 with Osmosis treatment vs. one that has not shown osmosis

Help, would like opinions and recommendation.

We are ready to put in an offer on one out of two 41 Lipari both 2010

One is having osmosis treatment now and hulls completely taken down, below waterline through gelcoat and expoxy treatment done by F.J. people.
The other one is the same year but has not shown any osmosis (according to owner) this of course will not be confirmed until survey. Otherwise boats almost identical same price as well. I am completely uncertain which one to go with... thoughts please!!
Te81611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:40   #2

Re: 41 with Osmosis treatment vs. one that has not shown osmosis

Tough one, One question would be how bad the one under is repair was. and....
- Having been "treated" doesn't mean it wont return.
- Same year with no history of wet hull would be a plus in my mind.
- However, Survey usually will not determine if the hull has had blisters, or if they were ground out and filled in a quick fix.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:56   #3

We saw it in the boatyard being worked on. Hard to say how extensive but I can only assume it was extensive. F.P. is doing this under warranty but it jus makes me nervous....several people have said after that expoxy treatment its better than new buuut I am not so sure. They are a good price.
Old 29-10-2015, 13:08   #4

Have a surveyor do a laminate profile on both boats to determine what is going on. I had one done on my boat to determine how serious the blisters were and what should be done. It was only 200 dollars and once the patch was filled in and painted you could not tell where on the hull the test was performed. The owners should have no objection even though it is destructive testing.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 13:21   #5

Thats a good idea lancelot9898. Ill have that done for sure on the one we decide to pull the trigger one. The other option is just buy a Lagoon��
Old 29-10-2015, 13:26   #6

Ask FP to extend the warranty for blisters. The probably know exactly what happened during construction. If FP wants to charge for the warranty extension, let the current owner fight with them about the price and have him pay it.

If FP says "yes" to a warranty extension, then you know they think it's unlikely to blister and you also have a warranty in case they are wrong. If they say no, go with the fixed one
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 13:33   #7

That is a good idea. Our broker has a letter from FP saying they will trasfer any warranty to a new owner. We are just waiting on how long that warranty is. (This is for the boat that is being treated)
Old 30-10-2015, 02:59   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te81611 View Post
That is a good idea. Our broker has a letter from FP saying they will trasfer any warranty to a new owner. We are just waiting on how long that warranty is. (This is for the boat that is being treated)
So it boils down to the question: would you prefer a treated boat where you can see & survey the treatment (plus some warranty) or an untreated one which may need treatment in a year or two? I think handling such a treatment process is a PiTA, and you may be left paying for it if the warranty has expired by then or FP doesn't honor it for some reason (e.g. because some sometime did a pressure wash on the hull).

I'd go with the treated one for sure if the treatment is done well. You know what you will get without many uncertainties, you may have a good negotiation point, and peace of mind with regards to osmosis. Afterall this is not just an epoxy barrier coat but really epoxy layup. Thats basically a lifetime warranty against osmosis.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 05:13   #9

Here are couple of pictures of the hull from the boat being treated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4542.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	111847   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4535.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	111848  

Old 30-10-2015, 05:33   #10

They should remove all through-hulls and not exclude that area. Also get as close as possible to the keels and ensure there is no Antifouling left around the keel. Epoxy won't stick well to it.

Its most important that they remove enough of the old layup (but not too much) and that they let the hull dry for several weeks, washing it with fresh water from time to time.
See if you can get the instructions issued by the factory for this type of work.

Of course get a surveyor to check while the boat is in repair and make the offer contigent to satisfactory repair.
Old 30-10-2015, 05:46   #11

Excellent comments Rabbi. Here are a couple of more pictures of the hull. Removing all areas including through hulls makes perfect sense. I don't know how far they are with the repairs and may still plan to remove the through hulls but we are being told they want to put it back in the water in 2 or 3 weeks. It doesn't seem like enough time for the remaining areas to dry out. We will ask them to check into this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4536.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	111849   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4537.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	111850  

SaltyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 06:16   #12

Ask for the FP repair documentation and see if its being followed. This should state how long the hull should dry and what to do about details like hull-keel-joint, rudder, saildrive, etc.
They have it ! Otherwise FP would not pay for the work.
Ask FP customer service if this is done right, show them the pictures and ask them if they extend the warranty for you.

If it was my boat i'd ask the yard to take out the throughulls as well as the saildrive rubberboots and the hull anode. I can understand that taking out the rudder and rudder bearing housing is too much hassle but here it seems they try to save a few bucks in through-hulls?
In my boat they have done at least the through-hulls, i know because i replaced one.

2-3 weeks is too little IMO but I'm no expert. Why hurry? The owner should drive this process and tell them to slow down.
Old 30-10-2015, 06:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Te81611 & SaltyIce.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
So it boils down to the question: would you prefer a treated boat where you can see & survey the treatment (plus some warranty) or an untreated one which may need treatment in a year or two? I think handling such a treatment process is a PiTA, and you may be left paying for it if the warranty has expired by then or FP doesn't honor it for some reason (e.g. because some sometime did a pressure wash on the hull).

I'd go with the treated one for sure if the treatment is done well. You know what you will get without many uncertainties, you may have a good negotiation point, and peace of mind with regards to osmosis. Afterall this is not just an epoxy barrier coat but really epoxy layup. Thats basically a lifetime warranty against osmosis.
On a Boat model line that has a history of problems; no doubt.. the boat that has been treated!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 23:36   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te81611 View Post
Here are couple of pictures of the hull from the boat being treated
It seems to me that the exposed mats on the treated boat are not saturated evenly. Some areas are less sturated than others.
Would someone with experience comment/correct my suspicion?
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, osmosis