Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 17:01   #31

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M
Re: You must be joking!

OK, but my question is did you download your charts to your memory stick from a regular computer? I am trying to use my tablet to download. I am thinking I have to create a map folder using a standard desktop load to a memory stick, then transfer to my tablet.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
OK, but my question is did you download your charts to your memory stick from a regular computer? I am trying to use my tablet to download. I am thinking I have to create a map folder using a standard desktop load to a memory stick, then transfer to my tablet.
I had the charts on my laptop so I copied then into a flash drive, connected that to the tablet and copied them to the default folder that opencpn uses. My problem was finding that folder in the first place but the rest was easy enough.
mewstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:25   #33

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Congratulations! The android file system is a little overwhelming and bizantine for those uninitiated. I use the android Folder and Ghost Commander for file operations. Am open to other such Apps.
I have found the USB Memory key to be a very big friend when first installing charts. Load the key up from your computer chart directory and transfer. This is also fast over a usb cable to your computer. Dont make the mistake of copying all your charts, it will bog performance a bit. However I have all USCG district 01 charts RNC and ENC and it works fine.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Congratulations! The android file system is a little overwhelming and bizantine for those uninitiated. I use the android Folder and Ghost Commander for file operations. Am open to other such Apps.
I have found the USB Memory key to be a very big friend when first installing charts. Load the key up from your computer chart directory and transfer. This is also fast over a usb cable to your computer. Dont make the mistake of copying all your charts, it will bog performance a bit. However I have all USCG district 01 charts RNC and ENC and it works fine.

Thanks..i had some problems also but this is
VERY USEFUL INFORMATION

thank, finally got it running on my wife Nexus7
Maine_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 17:05   #35

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Solution Nexus7 Pre 2013 old version Android 5.1.1

https://youtu.be/o5aAJfYU8r8

Highlight (press and hold) and double taps are used often.I had to re install to erase all my futile attempts. Any maps that are not already in the chart downloader seem to only work if installed on portable memory, flash or SD worked for me, and doing all the directory building and file placement in the windows environment, then I used the nexus media importer app.
Happy to walk anyone through that first successful map install.

Now off to Belize to learn up. For someone who never gets deep into chart plotter options or is really not interested in winning the race, I am liking this.

Thanks to all.