Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Xoom Quad Band Int'l Armel Running OpenCPN

Armido...
Unfortunately there's nothing easier than creating a page in the wiki and copy-pasting from the posts here. The editor in the wiki is wysiwyg as well, so it's pretty straight-forward to do.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15   #17

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Pavel,

I must be doing something wrong at opencpn.org. Copied & pasted entire thread over to edit soon. Saved. But nothing appears in the preview or edit options!

Flummoxed.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21   #18

Armido...
Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
I hope you will be able to edit it and give it some shape

Pavel
Old 07-06-2012, 14:04   #19

Since this thread was started I have tried a vnc viewer called Remotix Lite (free version) and recommend you use it rather than Android VNC. The non-free version has features worth paying for. It can be downloaded from Google Play.

armido
Old 08-06-2012, 11:15   #20

If anyone wants to, knows how to successfully edit this article now supposedly posted on the opencpn.org wiki, please replace the entire contents of said document with this. I have had NO SUCCESS TRYING TO DO IT MYSELF! Thanks.

Introductory Note:

Although this article refers specifically to the Motorola Xoom, it is likely that if you own any brand of device with the armel architecture the instructions herein will enable you to install Linux and OpenCPN on your device. The primary difference will be the method used to unlock your bootloader (root the device). If a method for rooting your device cannot be found here: Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers , then use your browser's search engine inserting your model with the word root or rooting. You are bound to find a method somewhere.

Step 1:

Read the precautionary notes at the XDA site - link provided below. Things can go wrong.

If you have any version of Motorola Xoom you will want to begin here: [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE - xda-developers

You will need access to a desktop computer, and a usb cable for connecting the desktop computer to your device. Download and install the files mentioned in the XDA instructions to your tablet and desktop computer. Simply click on the Google Play icon on your tablet and use the search engine to locate the files. Files installed on the desktop are downloaded from XDA.

Follow the instrictions to a "T", and take your time.

Once you have successfully "rooted" your tablet go to step 2:

Step 2:

Presently there is no way to replace Android outright with Linux. There have been successful installations, but due to the nagging problem of proprietary drivers, some hardware won't work. If you can live without sound, wireless and such you may want to give it a go. Risks will be considerable though. Instead, I recommend you download from Google Play the "Linux Installer" by Galoula. Note that there is another installer available "Complete Linux Installer" with good reviews, based upon the same principle as "Linux Installer". I have no experience using "Complete Linux Installer" which is why I recommend "Linux Installer" by Galoula. Other methods are also available, but require some prior experience using Linux.

Install from Google Play the Android Terminal Emulator and "Remotix Lite" VNC Viewer (free version). The viewer is necessary to access your Linux desktop. The terminal is not only used in conjunction with Linux Installer, but essential later on when we will install wxWidgets and OpenCPN.

Once you have Downloaded and installed one of the two installers available from Google Play, install the distribution and desktop you prefer. I had trouble trying to install combinations other than Debian XFCE. So, at this time I recommend installing Debian "Stable" (Squeeze) and XFCE.

I recommend you create a loop filesystem sized to 8 gigabytes. This is because you will be downloading a lot of development files/utilities, may want to experiment with more than one window manager and choose to install nav. charts within the Linux filesystem. Alternatively you may prefer installing them on an external micro sd card in order to free space in internal memory.

Follow instructions from inside Linux Installer, using the "setup" menus in both the installer and package manager modules. Use the package manager from inside the installer to start ssh and the VNC server (not same thing as Remotix Lite), update apt and upgrade your system. If you have followed instructions, ssh and vnc server are started - the settings for Remotix Lite are correct you should see an XFCE desktop when you click on "connect" from inside Android VNC. See instructions in step () for Remotix Lite settings.

note: It is important to have a good, relatively fast internet connection from here on.

Step 3:

OpenCPN has a number of "dependencies that must be downloaded and installed in your new Linux system. We also need to install files to enable compiling OpenCPN and wxWidgets.

Copy and paste this into the terminal at the prompt;

"apt-get install libglu1-mesa libgl1-mesa-glx zlib1g bzip2 gpsd gpsd-clients xcalib libgtk2.0-dev gettext git-core cmake libgps-dev build-essential wx-common libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libsdl1.2debian_all debhelper dev-scripts dh-make dpkg-dev fakeroot lintian diff patch" <enter>

Files above will have dependencies of their own so more files than listed above will download and install.

Step 4:

Downloading wxWidgets and OpenCPN source code.

Open the Android Terminal. You will see a blank screen with the aforementioned prompt >. Type into the terminal "linuxchroot" and press <enter>

Your Linux file system will be 'mounted' and rendered fully accessible. To view the linux filesystem structure use one of the several file managers available from Google Play and 'navigate' to /data/local/mnt/Linux. Be careful in whatever you do while navigating the file system and issuing commands from within the terminal. You are working at all times within a 'root' environment and can destroy your installation! Take a look around. The 'home' filesystem is where you will be installing wxWidget and OpenCPN source files. You will be working on them from within the terminal, not your file manager. Note that you can create directories, copy, move, rename and delete files from with a file manager as part of this project. But the rest must be done from within the terminal.

Enter the '/home' directory from within the terminal by typing "cd /home" <enter> then type "mkdir Downloads" <enter> Repeat this step to create "Downloads2" and "Downloads3"

Next type "cd Downloads" <enter>

Make sure you are connected to the internet.

Copy and paste into the terminal:

"git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn" then press <enter>
Alternately you can try:
git clone https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git

Wait until the download stops, then type "cd Downloads2" <enter>

Copy and paste this command at the prompt:
"git clone git://gitorious.org/wxwidgets/wxwidgets.git" then press <enter>

Wait until the download stops then type at the prompt: "cd wxwidgets" <enter>

Step 5:

Installing wxWidgets.

Copy and paste this command at the prompt;

"./configure --enable-plugins --enable-menus --enable-tooltips --enable-gif --enable-xpm --with-gtk=2 --with-libpng --with-libjpeg --with-libtiff --with-opengl --with-sdl --with-regex --with-zlib" <enter> (Note that the period before "/" must be included!)

When the configuration process stops type at the terminal prompt: "make debian-dist" <enter>

If the make debian dist process stops without errors, type at the terminal prompt:
"cd _dist_dir" <enter>
"cd wxGTK-2.9.2" <enter>

"./configure" <enter>
"make" <enter> Note: this process can take more than an hour, maybe two - grab a cup of coffee.
"make install" <enter>

At the terminal prompt copy and paste: "update-alternatives --install /usr/local/bin/wx.config wx.config /usr/local/lib/wx/config/gtk2-ansi-release-2.8 2" <enter>

At the terminal prompt copy and paste:

"update-alternatives --install /usr/local/lib/wx.pth wx.pth /usr/local/lib/ 2" <enter>
"update-alternatives --list wx.config" <enter>
This step should confirm wx.config path is as above
"update-alternatives --list wx.pth" <enter>
Should confirm wx.pth as above.

Step 6:

Configuring and installing OpenCPN:

Assume in commands below you have the Linux system mounted ("linuxchroot") from within Android Terminal and commands are being entered at the prompt>

"cd /home/Downloads/opencpn" <enter>
"mkdir build" <enter>
"cd build" <enter>
"cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE /home/Downloads/opencpn" <enter>

Provided the last command executes with no errors, continue to the next command.

"make" <enter>

If the "make" command continued to 100%;

"make install" <enter>

OpenCPN is now installed and ready to use.

You are already working in a mounted Linux system so all you need to do now is start "Linux Installer", Switch to the Distribution Manager by clicking on the divided rectangular icon at the bottom of GUI. Click on "ssh". Click on "vnc". Open Remotix lite. Make sure the settings are:

Name: "new Server", IP Address: "127.0.0.1", Port: "5900", Authentication: vnc password. Enter a password you will remember. The same password must be used in the VNC server set up inside package manager (linux Installer). VNC server type: "Autodetect". Operating system type: "Other".

From within Android VNC Viewer click on "connect". You should see the XFCE desktop.

If so, you will most likely find OpenCPN in the main menu under "Education".

Click on the OpenCPN icon and the program should start.

See OpenCPN Homepage for additional information: opencpn.org/ocpn/
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39   #21

armido...
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this, saved in Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Let me know if you want any changes in the formatting...

Pavel
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45   #22

Pavel,

Thanks, This is all i see for now.

links need formatting
just before step 3 See instructions in step () for Remotix Lite settings. 6 should be in brackets

in steps 3 & 5 filenames run off page... need close quote word "dependencies" in step 3
step 5 & 6 quotes around commands are missing...

armido
Old 17-06-2012, 17:55   #23

Note:

If you have read all the posts to this point, I recommend you view the edited version of Xoom Quad Band Int'l Armel Running OpenCPN, here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thanks,
armido
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14   #24

Boat: Trismus 37'

Bonjour Armido,

Felicitations, you have made a great and nice job.
I have an Xoom 2 and Debian Kit by Sven-Ola Tuecke installed and found it very interesting:
- no chroot "jail", all Android system available
- good documentation, step by step, run the first time without problem (tested with Squeeze)
- lite realization using debootstrap, with standard deb-arm packages and customized packages (as LXDE) from Sven-ola.
- run fluid & fast with xrdp on local or remote machine.
So I have try your method to compile OpenCPN with ARM but I have trouble of dependencies, and generally, compilation get me crazy ! got too many chesses.
So I suggest I would be nice to propose your opencpn-arm.deb compiled for download. Any version of OCPN witch can run on Squeeze and eventually an other package for libs and depends.
So, OCPN would be installalable on tablet for non-experts users
Cordialement
Frank Marinux
marinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 15:08   #25

Marinux,

Did you visit the link provided in my last post? If not, here it is: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage Instructions there address some issues I could not edit in my postings in this thread.

Let me know which dependency problems you are having and I'll see if I can help out. There a few variations in the provided package names, but easy to figure out using your favorite internet search engine. I used the same packages listed in the OpenCpn installation instructions.

Happy to assist with your compilation and installation problems if you let me know the details.

Thanks for trying this. I actually believe many people don't try because it seems too complicated and risky.

I'll be busy preparing to leave Trinidad on Tuesday or Wednesday, so too busy to research the possibility of packaging my OpenCpn installation now. But, I'll look into it as soon as I can.

Armido
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44   #26

Boat: Trismus 37'

Bonjour Armido,
Thanks for your answer. For the moment I am busy to update Xinutop.
Other thing interesting:
I have observed that debian-kit connected on rdp local loop run at 50% cpu load, just to display LXDE desktop. What is your cpu load with your "Linux installer" from Galoula ?
Cordialement
Frank Marinux
marinux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn