Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2010, 15:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Writing Plugin for nv.digital Map Format ?

Hi,

I would like to ask if anybody (who has the needed knowledge) is interest in writing a OCPN Plugin for the new (since 2008) nv.digital map format?

This format is a further development of Maptech's BSB 3 format (so to say NV's version of BSB 4).

As it is a closed format (AFAIK) which needs to be used in conjunction with an USB Dongle, I guess the plugin has to be a "closed" one, too.

One member (Langkieler) of the German Forum has already contacted NV Verlag and received the following answer (here the translated excerpt):
Quote:
We have a tool for the integration of nv.digital format which we provide to software developers for free. The only precondition is the signing of a licence contract by which we protect ourselves against abuse.
Their charts (mainly for the North and Baltic Sea) are very popular, as they are of a good qualitiy and the pricing is relatively cheap.

Another interesting point is that the format seems to be fully compliant with the one of the French company Navicarte.
Navicarte mainly covers France, Spain and Italy with their cards.

And I don't know how about the American NV.Charts (..::NV-Charts.com::..)?

So I guess such a plugin would be very popular for most European mariners - anyone interested?

Here is the link to the German NV Verlag (Website only in German available): Willkommen beim NV-Verlag, Arnis

Gunther
Old 14-08-2010, 17:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Gunther...

Sounds interesting. Charts look very rich.

My college German is very rusty. Any English links?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 02:48   #3

Dave,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Any English links?
try this one as starting point Willkommen beim NV-Verlag, Arnis

Gunther
Old 15-08-2010, 05:17   #4

Boat: HR40
Hi Dave,

I send you a link by pm to download one of these NV-charts to have a look at it. I fear its not useable, you would have to register and as I have activated this chart already twice you would have to buy there dongle .

but so you can have a look at the structure.....

by the way, it was the most detailled chart I ever had of that region.....
Old 17-08-2010, 13:06   #5
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Seen from a danish point of view, I'd consider the Delius Klasing charts of better quality than NV Verlag.

The Delius Klasing charts used to be sold in BSB/3-format, but as far as I know they are no more. Does anybody know the format? Possibly BSB/4???
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 14:05   #6

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem View Post
The Delius Klasing charts used to be sold in BSB/3-format, but as far as I know they are no more. Does anybody know the format? Possibly BSB/4???
Maps of which area are you seeking for?
They still sell BSB3 charts - ie.: Software Satz 1: Kieler Bucht und Rund Fünen - Delius Klasing

But AFAIS they are all from 2008. Since then they seem to use their own (proprietary) format, as they also want to sell their CPN program (Software Navigationsprogramme - Delius Klasing).

Quote:
Seen from a danish point of view, I'd consider the Delius Klasing charts of better quality than NV Verlag.
Can you give us some examples for these differences in quality (I know neither)?

Thanks,

Gunther
Old 17-08-2010, 15:12   #7
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Thanks for your answer...

Yes I have also seen the 2008 BSB-versions, but they stopped producing them. I actually spoke to somebody from Delius Klasing about that, and he explained, that 'demand' was low (read: they did not sell Vistanaut with them).

A comparison of charts on a specific area i Denmark was made some time ago here by this guy: Kort .

Based on this link the danish google group sailing forum (dk.fritid.sejlads) concluded that the NV charts did not contain a number of details. Furthermore, we know from the Danish Survey and Cadastre (KMS), who is responsible for the official charts i Denmark, that NV Verlag do not obtain official updated information from KMS. Delius Klasing does. NV Verlag of course gets the information from somewhere else, but nobody, except NV Verlag, knows precisely where.

Comparing NV charts to the official danish charts you can find a number of differences to the NV charts. Generally NV Charts contain less information. I do not own charts from Delius Klasing, but I have examined some charts in on-line sample versions, and I have found very little if any differences to the official danish charts. But I can easily find differences to the charts from BV Verlag.

It's also a matter of habits and personal taste of course, but still...

So I hoped that the Delius Klasing format would be BSB/4 of course, since the idea of making a BSB/4 plugin was suggested..
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 16:09   #8

oem,

thanks for the explanation - good to know.
So you might ask (also) on the German website, if someone already uses these DK charts or know what format DK uses.

But anyway - I think supporting as many chart formats as possible (by plugins) would be a good thing in general.

And as NV Verlag seems to offer their algorithm for free, so why not ...!
Same of course with a BSB4 plugin. But could become more difficult ... .

Gunther