Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 04:02   #76

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Windows 8 Tablets for OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I have never heard of a generic USB hub that will charge your tablet. I showed a Y-adapter solution that does this in post #14, but you need to piece together the right parts - your tablet's charger (or 12v USB charger), the Y-adapter, OTG cable, and generic USB Hub that connects to a computer by miniUSB cable (not easy to find - see post #12). Then you need to connect them together in the right way.

There was a kickstarter program for a device that does the same thing as mine: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-the-same-time

There is another one, more like a docking station:
plugable
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:21   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

So the Y-adapter arrangement that I described enables someone to construct a miniature docking station where you have mouse, keyboard, and power supply all pre-connected. You just plug in the microUSB to the tablet, and you can use it like a miniature laptop.

My Switch10 already has its own keyboard/touchpad. But my Miix2 does not, and the little docking station comes in handy for it and other tablets that lack external keyboard/mouse.
Yes. But potential buyers of other hardware must be warned that such Y cables exist only for some (few) Windows tablets. Many 7 and 8 inch units available now are either / or.

There are endless discussions on Windows tablets forums as to which tablet can, which cannot, and which can be fooled into the charge and host mode with some tricks.

Buyer beware.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 01:51   #78

Boat: 30' racer cruiser

Quote:
I have had zero reliability problems with my unit.

Be careful which version you buy, and which reviews that you read. The old Switch 10 (SW5-011 series) had a different design and had many complaints about unreliable Windows capacitive button. The newer Switch 10 (SW5-012 series) replaced the problematic capacitive button with a mechanical button, has an improved screen, and has gotten better reviews on Amazon (4 star average vs. 3 star average). Know what you're buying, and be sure to get the right thing.

Also, the first thing you should do with this or any other tablet, is remove McAfee and any other included bloatware. That is the biggest factor leading to sluggish performance.

You're right, it's two models here and the new one seems to be more reliable. The Switcher 10 is back in the race again – and I'm back on square one... Luckily I'm not in a rush to get the tablet, I can easily wait for some time.
One more question to you; one of my gadgets only runs when it get's power through usb (SignaLink). Since the Switch 10 is not powered through the usb, does that mean that I have to have a hub which is connected to a charger?
I am not a computer savvy person at all, the info on this thread is very much appreciated. Thanks!

goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:23   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
One more question to you; one of my gadgets only runs when it get's power through usb (SignaLink). Since the Switch 10 is not powered through the usb, does that mean that I have to have a hub which is connected to a charger?

The tablet will power smaller devices. The signalink may fall into this category, it appears to be "just" a soundcard with some add-ons.

If it requires more juice there are special cables available, look for "OTG power cable". You need one with a micro USB plug (for the tablet, providing data connection), a full size USB plug (providing power from an external power plug) and a full size USB socket (for the device).

See this one on Amazon

I use a similar cable to make external HDD and DVD drives to work on my tablets.
Old 17-03-2015, 08:10   #80

Power hungry USB devices can be plugged in via a powered USB hub which solves one problem. However, a powered USB hub will NOT feed power to the tablet.

Now I said it before and so I will say it again BEWARE many Windows based tablets that use USB for power source (most do, few do not) may (and often will) NOT accept data from USB sources while at the same time being fed power via the same USB slot. NOTE: there is often only one slot on tablets!

Now, for Windows tablets, the situation is that you can either power them via USB or feed data via the same slot, NOT both. NOT even with power OTG cable!!! There are noble exceptions. Exceptions.

The Y power/data cable (well known to some Android owners) does NOT solve the above challenge: please dig into tablet forums for more info on which Windows tablets do, which do not (most do not) and which can with a set of tricks.

I hope this helps avoid a common trap to anybody going for a Windows tablet who envisions a pile of plugs and converters being plugged in and the tablet being charged at the same time. This oftentimes cannot be done. NOT out of the box, except for few tablets.

There is, however, a neat solution: use the USB port for charging and feed all your data wire-lessly (e.g. use wifi).

Big kiss to all you wired / unwired,
b.
Old 17-03-2015, 08:57   #81

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Good point. My understand is, and I think it's already been verified, that the Miix 2-8 is one of those exceptions, correct?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:18   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Good point. My understand is, and I think it's already been verified, that the Miix 2-8 is one of those exceptions, correct?
Well, if it has been verified then you needn't have asked. ;-)

My take:

Method A: Contact the manufacturer, ask the question.

Method B: Grab one, test if it does what you want.

Method C: Read, think, try.

I think B is the best method.

King of Tweaks: More on Miix 2 8 USB charging

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows...e/td-p/1451077

Review Lenovo Miix 2 8 Tablet - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

From the last source: "... Since the USB port also serves as the connection for the power supply, it is not possible to charge the tablet and transfer data at the same time..."

Meanwhile the kingoftweaks website claims they sorted this challenge out.

I do not have a Miix and cannot tell you who is right and who is wrong.

I hope this helps. ;-)
b.
Old 17-03-2015, 11:26   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The Y power/data cable (well known to some Android owners) does NOT solve the above challenge: please dig into tablet forums for more info on which Windows tablets do, which do not (most do not) and which can with a set of tricks.

I hope this helps avoid a common trap to anybody going for a Windows tablet who envisions a pile of plugs and converters being plugged in and the tablet being charged at the same time. This oftentimes cannot be done. NOT out of the box, except for few tablets.
Absolutely true!

The Plugable dockingstation mentioned earlier (basically a USB hub plus power for the tablet and ethernet and then some extras) solves this for some tablets. They have a compatibility list on their site, just scroll down.
But even if it works, that's quite some $$$: 129 Euro in germany, but only 89 USD ....

Cheaper to find some tablet with full size USB and separate charger. For German fellows the Trekstor wintron 10.1 is a good choice. Windows install comes out perfectly clean after a restore (no funny chinese, no bloatware, just Windows, Office and drivers).
Full size USB port but no GPS, so good for a permanent install but not for a wireless system.
Old 19-04-2015, 15:13   #84

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I recently returned my miix 2 8 to Lenovo for repait, They replaced the motherboard and initialized the system. Now the BT keyboard connects, shows no errors; but doesn't transfer data. I have submitted this problem to the Lenovo support forum with no response.

The keyboard works with with a W7 system. The miix works with a BT GPS.

Any ideas?
Old 19-04-2015, 16:03   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post

(...)

Any ideas?
Get the data via wifi perhaps?

My own experience with BT minus 10 on the scale of 0-10. I have actually given up BT completely.

All that matching pairing pining thing. I am not sure what the designer had in mind. Perhaps a cold one.

b.
Old 19-04-2015, 19:34   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Get the data via wifi perhaps?
I've never seen a keyboard that works over WiFi. All the wireless keyboards that I'm aware of are either Bluetooth or proprietary (i.e., Logitech Unifying). What WiFi keyboards have you seen? How do you configure them?
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:21   #87

Quote:
I've never seen a keyboard that works over WiFi. All the wireless keyboards that I'm aware of are either Bluetooth or proprietary (i.e., Logitech Unifying). What WiFi keyboards have you seen? How do you configure them?
Ooooppsss.

My mistake. I read BT and imagined BT for nav data. Did not think of keyboard as we use the soft keyboard on screen of our mobiles.

Clearly a proper keyboard may be desired for some uses. I must admit I have seen people typing the hell on screen keyboard BUT I cannot do the same trick. I am probably just too (censored) for that.

Another mobile device can be used as a keyboard to input via wifi. I tried it with Android (as a keyboar) and Windows (as a screen). It worked fine, but it basically replicates what Windows has already onboard (only, this time, we can type remotely).

PS Alternatively, you can use a plain pnp wireless keyboard. If your device is Windows, it will accept a wireless keyboard (just like a desktop and laptop do). I think most receivers are plain USB so you will need an adapter for the receiver. Less than perfect but better than no keyboard at all, perhaps. Also better for mobility than a USB keyboard, I think.

Sorry for messing up!

b.
Old 19-05-2015, 19:53   #88

How do you get both instances of Opencpn to read the gps sensor. I can get two instances up and running, but only one will read the gps. My gps comes in on com port 3 and 4. One port for input from the gps and one port for output from the pc. If i stop the instance that is reading the gps, the other instance starts reading the gps in a few seconds.
Lars D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 20:47   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars D View Post
How do you get both instances of Opencpn to read the gps sensor. I can get two instances up and running, but only one will read the gps. My gps comes in on com port 3 and 4. One port for input from the gps and one port for output from the pc. If i stop the instance that is reading the gps, the other instance starts reading the gps in a few seconds.
GPS only comes in on one of the ports. Windows creates two ports, but only one is used for the GPS.

A couple different methods can be used to share the GPS. The preferred method is to create a UDP network port to broadcast the sentences to the other instance (and, if you want, to a router that will share the signal with other computers that are connected by Wifi).

Alternately, you can use a virtual serial port splitter program like XPort or PolarCOM that reads the GPS on one COM port and re-sends it out on 2,3, or 4 different virtual COM ports. Then you set up OpenCPN to look for those other COM ports. But this software is falling behind the times, and is generally not supported on 64 bit systems and/or blocked by UEFI Secure Boot BIOS that comes in most new Windows PCs.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 17:46   #90

dos anyone here know how to get the internal gps on a lenovo miix tablet to work? When I run the map app, the accuracy is 66 meters and I only see an update every 30 secs. If I turn off networking, the updating stops. Also only get an update in Opencpn every 30 secs. I've updated the drivers from Lenovo.
Lars D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, wind