Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 20:01   #61

Re: Windows 8 Tablets for OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
I have seen only RMC coming out of my Miix2-8 Broadcom chip also. Could it be the Geolocation TCP app not sending the information on?
I had some issues with Geolocation TCP and have installed Centrafuse Localizer which allows me to see satellites etc.. It does cost, but I thought it was worth it.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:14   #62

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Anyone else having trouble with BU353 (XA / XHA chip)>OTG cable>miix 2 8 ??? (OTG cable seen at http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Charg...ywords=otg+usb)

I get "This device cannot start (code 10) A device which does not exist was specified) Device Manager.

It works on a windows 7 system (no OTG) with the same prolific driver as W8.

The OTG cable works with thumb drives.

Any thoughts?
Old 20-02-2015, 11:51   #63

Boat: comfortina 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Anyone else having trouble with BU353 (XA / XHA chip)>OTG cable>miix 2 8 ??? (OTG cable seen at http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Charg...ywords=otg+usb)

I get "This device cannot start (code 10) A device which does not exist was specified) Device Manager.

It works on a windows 7 system (no OTG) with the same prolific driver as W8.

The OTG cable works with thumb drives.

Any thoughts?
Try the site BU-353 with Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

The method that USG-tech9 describes has worked for me for Win 8.1

Alexandros
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:52   #64

Wink Re: Windows 8 Tablets for OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Try the site BU-353 with Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

The method that USG-tech9 describes has worked for me for Win 8.1

Alexandros
Tried it. Confirmed that the driver was indeed different. Didn't work still get an error 10.

Hope it's not the OTG cable , because I going to spring for the new BU353 SIRF etc.

If it doesn't work I can console myself "Well at at least it's more accurate"
Old 21-02-2015, 11:34   #65

It seems like every time there's a Windows update, the BU-353 breaks, Prolific discontinues driver updates for the old chip, and you need to re-purchase the next rev of the BU-353 to get it to work. This happened when Win7 came out, and it looks like it's happening with Win8 (though it does seem like recycling the old driver works for some). Who knows what will happen with Win10?

It makes me think that a Bluetooth puck, like the BT-369, BT-368 or BT-821 might be a better way to go. Or just get a Bluetooth transmission app for your smartphone's GPS. Bluetooth wireless would also allow for easier waterproofing of the tablet.

I don't have any of these Globalsat devices, so I'm not speaking from direct experience. Don't go buy a Globalsat Bluetooth puck based on my recommendation - get comments from someone who has one first. But is there some reason why you would prefer to plug in a dongle to your tablet?
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:49   #66

OOOPS I spoke too soon.

There are 2 sets of instructions from Prolific

The one that references "windows_allinone_usb_driver_v130"
works for me.

Which is found in BU-353 with Windows 8 & Windows 8.1
reply#3.

I still want to buy the latest whizbang but maybe it won't work on my XP machine.
Old 14-03-2015, 03:20   #67

Boat: 30' racer cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I recently did some looking around at new tablets that came on the market for the past holiday season, thought I would provide some updates to my prior comments. What I am presenting here should only be considered accurate as of today, January 3, 2015. Things change fast in the computer world. Also, my comments are based mostly on reviews that I have read, so take the accuracy with a grain of salt.

Transformable 2-in-1 tablets that can operate as a tablet and also connect to a removable keyboard in a way that mimics a netbook or small laptop are extremely popular, and offer a lot of functionality. My Lenovo Miix2 8" model is not a 2-in-one. It is a pure tablet, but I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to provide netbook-like functionality when I need it. Its primary standout feature is extremely good screen brightness, which when used with a matte finish screen protector provides daylight viewability. And it's a sleekly styled, lightweight device that works very well on a small boat. But, truth be told, I wouldn't mind having something a little bigger if the right device were to appear.

The 10" Asus T100 is probably the best-selling transformable 2-in-1 model out there (due to its very attractive price point), but when looking at it at several stores I was always underwhelmed by its screen quality. It is noticeably less bright than my Miix2, and its colors are washed out. The yellow, in particular, looked dirty, and not at all vivid. But, it is a 10" display, so it's larger than my Miix2. It must not be a bad machine to have so many happy users. Asus has also came out with a T200 11" model, with roomier keyboard. Screen is reportedly a little brighter, but still not up there with the better offerings.

Some promising new models that could really challenge the T100 are the Acer Aspire Switch 10 (link is to obsolete model) and Switch 11. Reviews point out their extremely bright screens with no air gaps to cause multiple reflections. The latest refresh of their series includes Gorilla Glass 3 screens that reviews say are brighter than the initial Switch series. Both of these new models present an interesting selection, because they are available in low-cost/low-power (Atom) versions with 1280x800 resolution, or higher cost/higher-power (typically i5) versions with 1920x1080 resolution. And on a sailboat, higher power is not always a good thing, because battery life is affected. For purposes of running OpenCPN (as it stands now), the lower pixel density may actually be better, because at the high pixel density the depth soundings and some other non-adjustable symbols and text may be too small on the screen. If Dave makes these adjustable in the future then the higher pixel density would be preferred. Until then, the higher pixel density might actually be a negative. However, a recent review has reported that the Switch 10 with 1920x1080 screen is brighter than my Miix2 8". These models are definitely worth a look, because they are priced similarly to the Asus T100 and T200, and IMO they have superior displays vs. the Asus machines.

I am not mentioning anything about the Microsoft Surface Pro series because they are out of my price range. I generally prefer cheap computers for these applications.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro has gotten great reviews for build quality and design, and Dell always provides great support. But it is also a bit of a premium price.

Lenovo's Miix2 10" and 11" computers have very good Full HD pixel resolution, bright screens, and the 10" model can be found at very low prices recently. But the mechanism they use to prop up the tablet in the keyboard is a bit odd, and not suitable for use in your lap or on an irregular surface. You need a perfectly level, flat surface, and boats often are not level. These models have also gotten a very bad reputation for reliability.

Note that none of these models (aside from my Miix2 8" model) has an internal GPS, so if you want real-time GPS use while underway, you need a Blutooth puck or USB dongle.

FWIW, the Acer Switch 10, 64 GB with 1280x800 resolution dropped by $40 on Amazon today, so I have ordered it to try it out. I'll post an update later after I have used it. This computer has exactly the same pixel resolution as my Miix2 8" tablet, but the pixels are spread out over 10.1" diagonal instead of 8". So toolbar icons will be a little bigger, text will be a little bigger, etc. And I'll be able to snap the keyboard on and use it as a mini-laptop.

Hi RhythmDoctor,
I do like to get a tablet for my next passage, so I read you comments with interest. Main use will be for navigation but also for general use. Departure is still a few mounts from now, I'm not rushed. For now I use my windows laptop loaded with OpenCPN, as I did for some time now.
In the above post you mention the Acer Aspire Switch 10. Seems to be a good tablet and it also would fit my budget. In you post #34 I see that you have bought one now, I would have some questions to you if you don't mind:
1) What's you experience with it so far?
2) If I do use it as a tablet and connect it via a hub to GPS, charger, AIS, 'SignaLink', mouse etc. - is it a big disadvantage to only have a mini USB port ?
3) In you post #14 you show how you connect you Miix 2. Would that apply for the Switch 10 as well?
4) What's the power consumption like?
5) Do you think 32GB is enough for general use?
6) Could you recommend a screen cover to improve daylight visibility (anti glare)?
7) How do you keep it dry? (I would use it mostly inside though)
Thanks!
goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 08:44   #68

1) What's you experience with it so far? I found it for $229 and MicrosoftStore.com, and couldn't resist at this price. I've used it around the house this winter, about 50% of the time with the keyboard (like a small laptop) and 50% as tablet (with backwards keyboard to support it at an exact angle). It has really nice ergonomics. Screen brightness is great. Compared to the Miix2-8", it seems to be a little bit laggy running OpenCPN. Panning over long distances in OpenCPN causes some delays that I never noticed on the Miix2-8". I'm not sure whether the reason is a slighly lower power processor of some additional software overhead. I am not yet sure if it will replace the Miix2 in the cockpit. But I will definitely take it along in the cabin, because the keyboard/touchpad is very nice for general computer use and plotting routes. With OpenCPN in portable mode, I can just pop in the microSD card, plot my routes, then move it to the Miix2 for in the cockpit. Or, I'll transfer routes via LAN - not sure yet. But I really like the Switch's ergonomic flexibility as a laptop, kiosk, or tablet.
2) If I do use it as a tablet and connect it via a hub to GPS, charger, AIS, 'SignaLink', mouse etc. - is it a big disadvantage to only have a mini USB port ? FYI, all these tablets have microUSB, not miniUSB. The Switch keyboard also has a full size USB 2.0 port, but keyboard needs to be connected to use it. All my normal connections are wireless (my GPS/AIS transmit via Bluetooth), so I don't use USB much. If you have multiple USB devices, just attach a USB hub to the full size USB, or add an OTG connector and hub to the microUSB port. The hub will get you several full size USB connections for your peripherals.
3) In you post #14 you show how you connect you Miix 2. Would that apply for the Switch 10 as well? The Switch 10 has a dedicated non-USB power input. It does not charge through microUSB. You need to use the AC adapter or buy a 12v auto adapter that's made for the Acer power plug. So the micro-USB is always available for accessories without using it for charging.
4) What's the power consumption like? I just ran a test using the supplied 18w charger plugged in, with battery fully charged at 100%. I launched OpenCPN in course-up mode with a VDR recording running. (This ensures that the test includes continuous screen redraws needed for course-up mode.) It draws 4-5 watts indoors with adaptive screen brightness on (medium-low backlight). I then turned off adaptive brightness and turned up the brigtness all the way (to simulate outdoor use), and consumption is 7 watts.
5) Do you think 32GB is enough for general use? I have not had a problem with storage limitation. But I put everything I can on a 64 GB microSD card. That card gets moved to the different tablets so I don't have to reconfigure everything. Another consideration is the 2 GB system RAM. That's plenty for OpenCPN, but not for a lot of multi-tasking. That's potentially a more serious limitation, but virtually all the Win8 tablets are 1-2 GB because Win8 64bit is not widely licensed for low cost tablets.
6) Could you recommend a screen cover to improve daylight visibility (anti glare)? I have not bought one yet. But this one is on my wish list if/when I decide to use the Switch in the cockpit:
SUPERSHIELDZ- Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector
7) How do you keep it dry? (I would use it mostly inside though) My cockpit is very dry, and I just move things down below in wet conditions. If I use this frequently in the cockpit, I'll probably buy this:
Travelon Luggage Waterproof Ipad Pouch

FYI, I did purchase this Kensington pouch to protect the Switch while carrying it around. It's a very snug fit, but gives a little cushion to prevent scratches and nicks on the edges:
Reversible & Durable Neoprene Sleeve for the Apple iPad
Old 14-03-2015, 14:32   #69

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Can anyone recommend a cheap USB hub that will work with the Mii 2-8 and allow me to charge the tablet as well as share USB devices? I want to charge from a 12 vdc source.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 18:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Can anyone recommend a cheap USB hub that will work with the Mii 2-8 and allow me to charge the tablet as well as share USB devices? I want to charge from a 12 vdc source.
I have never heard of a generic USB hub that will charge your tablet. I showed a Y-adapter solution that does this in post #14, but you need to piece together the right parts - your tablet's charger (or 12v USB charger), the Y-adapter, OTG cable, and generic USB Hub that connects to a computer by miniUSB cable (not easy to find - see post #12). Then you need to connect them together in the right way.

There was a kickstarter program for a device that does the same thing as mine: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-the-same-time
Old 14-03-2015, 19:30   #71

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I have never heard of a generic USB hub that will charge your tablet. I showed a Y-adapter solution that does this in post #14, but you need to piece together the right parts - your tablet's charger (or 12v USB charger), the Y-adapter, OTG cable, and generic USB Hub that connects to a computer by miniUSB cable (not easy to find - see post #12). Then you need to connect them together in the right way.
Got it,thanks!
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 19:48   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

Why are you guys still using cables and fighting the drivers?

Why not feed all NMEA data into the tablet via wifi?

Cables negate benefits of any mobile device. (Yes I do know we have to charge tablets too).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:22   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Why are you guys still using cables and fighting the drivers?

Why not feed all NMEA data into the tablet via wifi?

Cables negate benefits of any mobile device. (Yes I do know we have to charge tablets too).

b.
As I mentioned above, I am fully wireless except for when I need a charging cable. I have GPS/AIS coming in by Bluetooth. If the vYacht guy ever gets his act in together with a bug fix, I'll have depth, compass, and DSC also coming in via WiFi. (Been waiting for 3+ months for that one. His last attempted bug fix bricked my router.) Bluetooth wind transducer will be delivered in a few weeks. Lots of data, all wireless.

But there are certain times when it might be useful to have a wired keyboard and mouse available for your tablet. Bluetooth keyboards and mice need charging or disposable batteries. So the Y-adapter arrangement that I described enables someone to construct a miniature docking station where you have mouse, keyboard, and power supply all pre-connected. You just plug in the microUSB to the tablet, and you can use it like a miniature laptop.

My Switch10 already has its own keyboard/touchpad. But my Miix2 does not, and the little docking station comes in handy for it and other tablets that lack external keyboard/mouse.
Old 14-03-2015, 20:45   #74

Boat: 30' racer cruiser

RhytmDoctor,
I thought the Acer Switch 10 is the one, had a look at the customer reviews on Amazon and uhhps – a lot of one and two stars there! Reliability seems to be the issue, hope you're not having any problems with yours.
For general use a hybrid would be nice but perhaps I'm better off with a tablet only plus an external keyboard. Got to do some more research...
Cheers!
goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
RhytmDoctor,
I thought the Acer Switch 10 is the one, had a look at the customer reviews on Amazon and uhhps – a lot of one and two stars there! Reliability seems to be the issue, hope you're not having any problems with yours.
For general use a hybrid would be nice but perhaps I'm better off with a tablet only plus an external keyboard. Got to do some more research...
Cheers!
I have had zero reliability problems with my unit.

Be careful which version you buy, and which reviews that you read. The old Switch 10 (SW5-011 series) had a different design and had many complaints about unreliable Windows capacitive button. The newer Switch 10 (SW5-012 series) replaced the problematic capacitive button with a mechanical button, has an improved screen, and has gotten better reviews on Amazon (4 star average vs. 3 star average). Know what you're buying, and be sure to get the right thing.

Also, the first thing you should do with this or any other tablet, is remove McAfee and any other included bloatware. That is the biggest factor leading to sluggish performance.

Tags
enc, opencpn, wind