Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 22:59   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

On the subject of Linux vs Windows, I was under the impression that Windows has better power managment than Linux.
I measured the current draw of a machine using Opencpn under xp then Linux and it was about the same for both.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 23:40   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Well that's interesting. I wanted to run with linux but a bit of triangulated googling indicated that the power management component of linux was as lacking. A lot of the issue is with open source drivers if I recall correctly, so different hardware will be affected differently. Might have to set up the old hdd on linux now and see.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 23:47   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well that's interesting. I wanted to run with linux but a bit of triangulated googling indicated that the power management component of linux was as lacking. A lot of the issue is with open source drivers if I recall correctly, so different hardware will be affected differently. Might have to set up the old hdd on linux now and see.
The hibernate / sleep management might be different, dunno, with an ssd drive booting up is quick anyway so not so much an issue. You can run Linux (probably as you know ) straight off a pen drive or dvd so might be worth a play.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15   #19

Re: Windows 7 or Linux: which is a better turn-key solution?

For me the simple fact that I don't have to deal with viruses and antivirus updates, and the ability to load any file given or mailed to me without worries makes the decision of using Linux easy.

I've been using OCPN on Linux with very few problems since 3.0; used to have audio issues (not a critical issue in a navigation program). The power management is fine, as is support for AIS, GPS, etc via USB. The system is rock solid.

As with any migration, going from XP to Linux will take some "getting used" to the slightly different ways. Not as much as going from XP to W8 :-)

I'm not up to speed on the bleeding edge of SDD, but normally they can only take about a million "write" operations before failure. Thus, I'd use them to store charts, etc (read-only if possible) and put logs and other active files in a regular disk (or even ram disk).

Ubuntu or Mint a good starting points for people not familiar with Linux. I prefer Debian, but is a little bit harder to administer.

--Diego
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, wind