Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 13:37   #1

Boat: 30 ft Pion
windbarbs unacceptably large in 4.8.0

Hi all

new to this forum so hope this is the right place to post this. I am a happy OpenCPN user, running O on a rpi3 under raspbian, all software up2date. Default operating mode headless, using rdp to connect to rpi.

I recently upgraded to 4.8.0, right after doing this the windbarbs generated by the grib plugin have become ridiculously large, in the order of 25% of screen size (I can provide a screen grab but see no option to upload that here)

I have played around with settings to no avail. I have turned opengl on and off, no effect. I have removed the conf file forcing O to start afresh, no effect. I have set the screen width manually to a large value (which works to solve similar problem for tide indicators), no effect on windbarbs.

I have connected a screen and keyboard instead of using the rpi headless, no effect.

Is this a bug in 4.8.0??? Any suggestions to solve this are welcome!

cheers, knoekvansoest
knoekvansoest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: windbarbs unacceptably large in 4.8.0

knoekvansoes...

We would like to see a screenshot, uploadable here as jpg.

Any other rpi3 users noticed this?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 00:50   #3

Hi Dave, screengrab enclosed; note that this is for my personal setup with nonstandard settings that I use on small screens; but also note that the problem is identical in default setup (obtained after moving the .conf file) ... forgot to make a screengrab in that case ... and not too eager to do that once again because after putting back my old .conf file I had some problems with oesenc maps (resolved by full database rebuild). thanks for your help, knoek van soest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	156093  
Old 15-09-2017, 15:42   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Isn;t this set under Grib_pi Configuration Settings? Find Wind Barbed Arrows... and look at the settings.

I think you will find the answer there.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 12:35   #5

hmm have not found a setting related to wind barb size. if I missed something could you provide specific instructions? knoek van soest
Old 17-09-2017, 17:23   #6

I will try to answer this a little bit differently, so you will be able to find some of these answers quickly, with little trouble.

This is the Main Page of OpenCPN. It is laid out quite clearly. The third menu button on the top is what we need "Manual"
https://opencpn.org/. You can bookmark it right next to some of the other important OpenCPN links.

So this is the Opencpn User Manual
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pn_user_manual

Grib Plugin in the Opencpn Manual. (if you can't find it, just do a search in the Wiki search bar for "Grib".)
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...s:grib_weather

Then once you are on the Grib_pi page, you can do a different type of search using your Browser File > Find to just search that page. Using the Browser search type in "Wind" Then hit next and read... its a couple of next's down.

Much faster than waiting for us to answer you. If you are still lost, please pipe up! We can then get into more detail. I could try to answer directly, but I think you need to see that page on Wind and the menu. Try a couple of settings. Then we can talk.

(If you find something wrong or inaccurate in the manual, please let us know!)
Old 17-09-2017, 18:31   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Knoek...
There is nothing in the manual that could help you, there is no setting you could use to fix this. On RPi we have already seen screen size detected completely wrong, which is fixable for the main application by setting Display -> Advanced -> Physical Screen Width manually.
Unfortunately looking at https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b....cpp#L240-L250 the grib plugin has it's own screen physical size detection logic, which seems to screw things up in your case. If you build from source, the fix is simple - after the code highlighted in the github link above, set m_pixelMM to "Your screen width in millimetres/your screen horizontal resolution", if you use the prebuilt packages, wait for next release.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 00:54   #8

@nohal: thanks for the clear answer! I used to build from source but got impatient/lazy some time ago; so for now will revert to previous stable version and block auto updating of opencpn until this problem is fixed
@rgleason: thanks for the tutorial on reading documentation, unfortunately not helpful for me though.

I guess the clear answer by nohal (and his indication that this issue has the attention of the developers) will effectively close this thread ....
Old 18-09-2017, 04:15   #9

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Well,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Knoek...
There is nothing in the manual that could help you, there is no setting you could use to fix this.
Is a bit in contradiction to rgleason's remark;
Quote:
I could try to answer directly, but I think you need to see that page on Wind and the menu. Try a couple of settings.
So I would like to invite rgleason to try to tell the answer directly
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 04:18   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Knoek...
There is nothing in the manual that could help you, ...
Related query (and not intending a thread hijack): Using source zyGrib, it seems the grib layer does not move in with the chart. IOW if I move, say, 30 NM west on the chart (in an appropriate scale), the grib overlay remains fixed in position. Is this how it should work?

EDIT: Checked again just now and I am not sure my original observation is correct. Seems the grib layer is indeed "attached" to the displayed chart coordinates, but any obvious movement depends on the scale of the chart display. I.e., smaller area, less obvious grib movement, etc. Just sayin'.
Old 18-09-2017, 07:34   #11

Thanks Pavel. I guess there is no setting for wind barb size, only for wind barb spacing.
Quote:
@nohal: thanks for the clear answer!
Old 15-10-2017, 10:42   #12

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

have the same prob on a pi2 with the uptodate Jessie and OC 4.8.0 when using the packages from ppa.

Building from source is the only way to fix it? Is it possible to build only the grib plugin?

@Nohal: You wrote "wait for the next release". Any idea when the next release will come out?

Thanks

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 11:04   #13

@nohal: is it perhaps possible to provide access to the ppa for 4.7?
Old 15-10-2017, 14:54   #14

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas29
@Nohal: You wrote "wait for the next release". Any idea when the next release will come out?
No. When it is ready as usually. If you want the patch applied immediately, build from source, on Linux it is absolutely straightforward and perfectly documented at https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ompiling_linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoekvansoest
@nohal: is it perhaps possible to provide access to the ppa for 4.7?
What does "access to the ppa for 4.7" mean?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind