Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09   #16

Boat: Najad391
Re: Who is (succesfully) using OpenCPN on a Linux mini pc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinM View Post
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Hello,

On different places I see people trying to get OpenCPN running. I see a lot of : do this, try that , and at the end I don know how sussesfull they were.

What I want to know is .

Did you get it working satisfactory, to be used on a long route.

What hardware do you use (Raspberry, Cubie, Beagle, Odroid, Infinite …..or other)

Which Linux version do you use, and do you have a list what you had to change during installation.

At the moment I have a Windows PC (Mini ITX), usb mux Miniplex with gps and Seatalk, ais on a rs232 port, two displays with a splitter. The problem is that the cable to the display in the cockpit is to long, so that I get a distorbed screen.
I want to install an extra computer just for navigation with OpenCPN, usb mux with gps, seatalk and also ais.

Who can help me, is it worth to start this, or is it better to go for another windows pc.
I have more or less the same set up as you. Have also tried some splitter for 2 displays but with different problems.
The solution for me was to use a USB to WGA converter. Bought on ebay for a small sum of £. I have a 10 meter long wga cable for the second display in the cockpit and now with no problems. Worth a try!!
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:08   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Does anyone know what average watt or amp & voltage is during normal use and when running but not used for cpu & display separate if possible?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 14:11   #18

Boat: Dufour GL 412

I am successfully running OpenCPN (various 3.3 betas) on a Utilite Computer (standard) Home | Utilite based on the Ubuntu 12.04 platform.

Pros: Stable, Low power; 4-6W, 12V DC; Powerful (i..e more than Raspberry Pis, CubieBoards) as it based on a Cortex A9, dual core with quad cour also available); plenty of connectivity: 2 GB Ethernet, 2 serial, 4 USB, Audio, Wifi, BT; noiseless; solid; small footprint; Open CPN runs nicely.

Cons: A bit more expensive than the above; some tweaks in OpenCPN needed (but manageable); NO OpenGL acceleration.

The unresolved OpenGL issue with irks me, although I must say that performance with vector charts is acceptable. I would nevertheless welcome a higher responsiveness when scrolling and zooming. I have with my quite limited Linux knowledge tried to look into it. The Utilite clearly has graphics capabilities, as it reportedly can play back movies in full HD, but it is using the Vivante GPU (and not Mali, as other ARM based devices do), which apparently doesn't support OpenGL as implemented in OpenCPN.

I have tried a few very basic tweaks but to no avail. I have not given Wayland/Weaton shot yet as no one has reported running it successfully on the Utilite.

It would a be nice add-on if someone could manage to get OpenGL to work properly on the Utilite, as I believe that it the would be a good nav computer.

However, I will anyhow continue to use it as in its current configuration also does the trick. And also spend the upcoming winter trying to tweak it.
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:36   #19

As I understand it, like the wandboard, the vivante OpenGL drivers for Linux either need to be improved or developed. It is not an opencpn problem. I understand the with some luck and patience you might find some drivers that work will be released. This has nothing to do with opencpn. Mali is better way to go for time being. Please see 12 vdc marine pc thread. Sean and Freddie advised about that recently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-10-2014, 16:02   #20

12vdc Marine Computers - Page 26 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Utilite Models | Utilite
Utilitite Pro looks a little pricey to me at $200, with 2gb and SATA, but it seems to be a good system. I hope they get the drivers needed for Opengl.

Tags
enc, linux, opencpn