Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 08:12   #1

What is the functional limit

on the number of waypoints and maps? I'm working on a little project of making my own charts by combining many sources. Until I can find a way of actually drawing on a saved .Kap converted using GE2KAP, I'm using waypoints to record nav data and depths. If I try to use translucency to record the data and the GE capture at the same time, the NOAA charts are so poor that anything within 100 meteres of shore is useless and unuseable.
ExPzKWCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 16:17   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: What is the functional limit

... I can't recall anybody mentioning "limiting out"...I've had 20+ in the chart bar including a vector chart and the thousands of marks that comprise a two thousand mile track. I suppose it may slow Oa bit, depending on your machine and what else you have turned on at the time per plugins, tides etc.
There is a way to draw on a kap. Extract the image + header, draw on it, rebuild it as a kap .
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30   #3

What program allows you to do that? Just starting on this project, so I'm not up to speed on my options.
Old 06-04-2012, 18:38   #4

It's really easy, despite what you'll think trying to sort the thread out. Just get imgkap and your chart and the batscript in a work folder, double click the batscript that extracts, fiddle with the image it produces, doubleclick the rebuilding script and yer done.

There's other ways as well but this is what I do. Takes a second or two not counting the work editing your image- the hard part...irfanview or xnview portable versions would be my choices for the least confusing, no bloatattack image editors... that can open what may be very large images on older machines but for something complicated, transparency and all, use what ever you like just be careful to keep your app under control and end up with an image similar to the one you started withEXACTLY the same in size, colour depth (if Possible) and format if possible tif or png. Not lossy ones like jpegs.

What's a batscript?well just copy the stuff to TWO notepad files and rename em to ".bat" from ".txt" ie:split.bat and rebuild.bat
Doubleclick the "split.bat"
and in Windows, it should pop up a command window and do things all by itself...the right things, that is. The original kap stays the same. no harm done.

you can change the tif to png if you like (or even bmp, I think but I don't)
link to the scripts to copy..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post771023

you see Dacust's post above? he has" imgkap" to download

imgkap - Download

caveat. to use the windows .bat script I cobbled together, change imgkap's name to get rid of the 0's and 1's and all. just "imgkap.exe" is what I do, because the extra numbers are a pest. You will see the version in the cmd wind anyways.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30   #5

Thank you for the tips, I have had a go at one chart and it turned out OK. Seems though that the modded chart only displays at one scale compared to to the unmodded which has a range of scales.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33   #6

not sure what you are doing with the above, but an image made to a kap is just an image.not scaleable. You can zoom in but the detail is the same. If you mean harbour plans that are included on a bsb/kap, read on, because it applies.

If you have vector charts, you can make screen grabs at different scales and "kapify" these. Hunt around on the imgkap thread to find an example to use the corner coordinates on a screen grab (I make a route-as-box on O to capture these easily)

You can use the screen grab different ways too, to result in a kap. mapcal-->mc2bsbh+tif2bsb, etc. ...search also for "Helpcal" which I find speeds this alternate way a lot.

Obviously, the above could be used on a cropped extracted chart image...harbour plans on the bsbkap for instance. Reading the header might give you the coordinates you need for these. a..good notepad type editor will show you the header of a kap all on its own if you force it to read the bsb or kap extensions.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:22   #7

Found the limit on my system, it's about 45 KAP charts tiled together at 1 to 7900. At that point, adding another, or scrolling causes the tiling logic to go wonky, and the charts scramble all over