Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 21:11   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
What do I need to get started with open coupon?

I have a laptop. Is that all? I am under the impression that open coupon is the free way to have world charts without buying expensive navionics or garmin chips.

Say you were to circumnavigate. I doubt anyone has a stack of paper charts that big or pays the $5000 dollars for worldwide navionics chips.

So is open coupon the answer? Is it hard to use? Can it interface with m chart plotter? I've got some time tonight and would like to get started learning it. I'm not the best at computers and electronics. But after putting together my electronics successfully for my boat I feel I am up to the challenge.

I would also love to have worldwide charts and look trough them and dream about all the exciting places to go.

So if you could just kindof talk me through the getting started part that would help a lot. Or maybe I am misinformed and navionics chips are what I have to get.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 03:03   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: What do I need to get started with open coupon?

You need a device to give you gps position as well. A usb gps puck such as globalstar bu-343 S4 will work.
Download the program and then chartdldr plugin. Free world charts of every part of the worldare more difficult to finf but you can get many charts.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 03:17   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

For starters after you have OpenCPN up and running try and find the CM93 charts ... all care no responsibilty with that one ( can..worms...etc) but they are out there and they are ok for all non critical use.

The puck as advised above is all you need for GPS input.

In the real world you still need some paper charts if only for planning.

How is the radio going?
Old 22-09-2015, 03:51   #4

El Pinguino - have a friend with backup icom that i can use so learning side should move forward.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:35   #5

I, back at the boat, I will pull the radio out tonight and try it here. I was able to finally get a few stations to come throu, but not very many, I guess since it was a source of frustration I shelved it temporarily to get other things done.

But now most everything is and I can get it back out.

I read the FAQ for the computer poor gram openCPN and it was language above my computer knowledge. I don't know what Linux is for example. I'll download the program and see if I can't get it to work.

I have a garmin GPS puck that has a n2k plug on the bottom, is there an adapter so that can plug into my USB port?
Old 22-09-2015, 13:47   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I, back at the boat, I will pull the radio out tonight and try it here. I was able to finally get a few stations to come throu, but not very many, I guess since it was a source of frustration I shelved it temporarily to get other things done.

But now most everything is and I can get it back out.

I read the FAQ for the computer poor gram openCPN and it was language above my computer knowledge. I don't know what Linux is for example. I'll download the program and see if I can't get it to work.

I have a garmin GPS puck that has a n2k plug on the bottom, is there an adapter so that can plug into my USB port?
Working from bottom to top.... lookee her re the n2k stuff.. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...how-37586.html
Reading it made my brain hurt.... as suggested above I'd buy one of these.. USGlobalSat BU353-S4 USB GPS Receiver

Don't worry about linux... I think you said you have a Mac... I run OpenCPN on my mac with no probs.

Back to the radio bit... despite what some say there is still a mass of broadcast AM stuff out there on HF. Its just that some of the big players have gone..Canada and Netherlands for instance... and others no longer target the US. Get a bit focused and try for Radio New Zealand. Radio New Zealand : International
Be aware those are UTC/GMT times that are quoted.
Gain some confidence in your radio and then start worrying about wefax.
Ping
Old 22-09-2015, 14:18   #7

Merci Ping
Old 22-09-2015, 22:20   #8

thanks