Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 16:46   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Western Europe seabord raster coverage now complete

VisitMyHarbour has just released the 'missing link' between Scotland and Gibraltar (including both sides of the Channel): the French Atlantic coast is now available.
These up-to-date raster charts are from official hydro offices (UKHO, SHOM...) and display fine in OpenCpn.
Available either by download or on an usb chartstick
See for coverage and pricing
Unified Charts options... : by VisitMyHarbour [Unified Charts] - VisitMyHarbour articles
Unified Charts Buy Now : by VisitMyHarbour [Unified Charts] - VisitMyHarbour articles
Two samples from the new French Atlantic set on my computer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 001.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	123115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 002.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	123116  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	123117  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 07:44   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Western Europe seabord raster coverage now complete

SailorF54,
Thanks for the post. I have a friend in France who could use these extended charts, however he is using Mac OpenCPN right now, and as I understand it VisitMyHarbor charts are for Windows.

Do you think he could install Windows OpenCPN in a virtual machine like bootcamp and gain access to these charts?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:38   #3

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

Waiting for VisitMyHarbour to add the Baltic to their selection! Apart from us who are based up here, there are more and more visitors each year from further afield..UK, USA, etc
captnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 09:12   #4

Re: Western Europe seaboard raster coverage now complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
SailorF54,
Thanks for the post. I have a friend in France who could use these extended charts, however he is using Mac OpenCPN right now, and as I understand it VisitMyHarbor charts are for Windows.

Do you think he could install Windows OpenCPN in a virtual machine like bootcamp and gain access to these charts?
That is a very good question, but I don't have the answer. Maybe ask VisitMyHarbour...
Old 26-04-2016, 11:16   #5

Steve Bryant at VMH will have the answer. Great to see the extended coverage of the French Coast.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 12:51   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Interesting case - just to explain:

VMH requires an USB stick appearing like a CD in the Windows file system which acts like a dongle.
Every time you want to use the charts you will have to start an executable that enables the chart for the session.
So the virtual machine would need access to the USB in form of a CD and install that "virtual DLL" to gain access to the charts.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 13:02   #7

There is a new distribution method for these charts, using a download, which does not involve a USB Chart Stick. Will this work with a virtual Windows machine?

Mike
Old 29-04-2016, 14:16   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Steve wrote back.

Quote:
Hello Rick,

Yes all our OpenCPN stuff is Windows only. 2 methods of delivery now, on USB as before, or as a downloadable .iso DVD image, which locks to a machine with online activation process.

BOTH work exactly the same way. An unlock sequence has to run, followed by EULA (I Agree)

If running Windows on a MAC with a licensed COA, I can't see why either of these wouldn't work. The user would need to run a Windows version of OpenCPN to use the charts.

I haven't had any feedback yet about this, so the cautious way would be to try an already existing ChartStick with the seutp. If that works so would the virtual DVD system.... Unified Charts.

Kind regards,

Steve Bryant www.visitmyharbour.com
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:15   #9

Installed Oracle Virtualbox on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) and set up a Windows 8.1 guest. During the installation of Win 8.1 it is best not to press any buttons to speed up the process e.g. when it says 'Restart Now'. Let the install continue unaided.

You need to install the Extensions Pack to get access to a USB and need to make sure that the 'VBoxUsers' group is added to your account.

The VisitMyHarbour USB chart stick is recognised by the Windows guest and the security program runs. After 'I accept' you get access to the VMH charts for OpenCPN.

OpenCPN runs fine in Virtualbox and shows the VMH charts. It was not possible to access the VMH charts from the host system (Ubuntu).

The latest VMH chart stick will not run on Windows XP.

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 05:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
Installed Oracle Virtualbox on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) and set up a Windows 8.1 guest. During the installation of Win 8.1 it is best not to press any buttons to speed up the process e.g. when it says 'Restart Now'. Let the install continue unaided.

You need to install the Extensions Pack to get access to a USB and need to make sure that the 'VBoxUsers' group is added to your account.

The VisitMyHarbour USB chart stick is recognised by the Windows guest and the security program runs. After 'I accept' you get access to the VMH charts for OpenCPN.

OpenCPN runs fine in Virtualbox and shows the VMH charts. It was not possible to access the VMH charts from the host system (Ubuntu).

The latest VMH chart stick will not run on Windows XP.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
Your post has been forwarded (as a translation) to the French Forum HeO
Les cartes SHOM de VisitMyHarbour en stick sur Opencpn avec Ubuntu 14.04...

PS My apologies for 'seabord' instead of 'seaboard' in the title of this thread (French 'bord de mer' is to blame ;-) )

Tags
Europe, rope