Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 11:42   #1

Boat: Sunkiss 45
WeatherFax: How to save the fax?

Hi everybody,

I've been trying for several weeks WeatherFax. I'm really surprised by the quality of the fax output.
My problem is about saving the fax, I could save the fax BSB / KAP but it's not really usable. Is it possible to save it in JPG, GIF, TIF or PNG format?

Chers - Olivier
TiOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: WeatherFax: How to save the fax?

From Jvcomm it saves auto. If you can't do this from WeatherFax, use jvcomm.

Or just dump the screen and save it into any file you like.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 17:06   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes, Weatherfax is pretty damn nice isn't it? Sean has done a great job of programming this tool. It still have some improvements, but it has come a very long way.

I suggest you get on the weatherfax thread and read a little to learn about where this plugin is going. It currently saves Kap and the next step is to have it read Kap, so that you will be able to bring an image in, overlay on charts, save it, then open it later overlayed on charts. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1591618

I am sure it will be possible to save in different formats, that is actually a relatively easy thing to do, as the converters are already done really, but I believe Sean's next goal is to complete the KAP circle.

PS I believe the thing we need most is a way to connect the georeferencing information with the image, so that it can be saved and then brought back into Opencpn and automatically overlayed on the chart in the correct location. All this information is available once the image is overlayed, and presently the plugin can save KAP (with georef info) but it does not yet read KAP. Once that happens we can have a plugin that does the round trip with chart overlays!

Of course it might be nice to save out to png, jpeg, gif etc, and the plugin already handles (importing) those images during the overlay process with the wizard, so it is not too far fetched to think that an export could be programmed, but first we need to get the round trip KAP files! I believe that is Sean's intent.

Barnackiel has a point about just saving the screen as... your pick for a file format.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:10   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiOlivier View Post
Hi everybody,

I've been trying for several weeks WeatherFax. I'm really surprised by the quality of the fax output.
My problem is about saving the fax, I could save the fax BSB / KAP but it's not really usable. Is it possible to save it in JPG, GIF, TIF or PNG format?

Chers - Olivier
Are you decoding from sound card? Why do you want to save to image format? How is BSB/KAP not usable? It is not difficult to make it save as a picture, I just didn't see the need. I am trying to understand what people are doing.

jvcomm is probably a poor choice if you can even use it at all (requires windows) because it doesn't have many of the filters or options, isn't integrated to opencp, and isn't open source so there is little hope of making use of this work improving it for future programs.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 03:12   #5

Hi Boat Alexandra,

- I receive faxes from SSB with a sound card and the quality is really good.
- Why? I would like to keep a history (many days) with weather events to have a better vision of the situation in OpenCPN with Weathfax if it's possible.

If I use an internet connection, that's ok with pictures. My problem is via SSB, I have the save problem. Just to know, I run Linux.
Old 23-09-2014, 03:20   #6

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

You could do a <Ctrl/PrtScn> but that will only save what you see on the monitor. Then paste the saved image into a word document or into Paint (if your a Windows user)...
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 05:09   #7

Yes, that might work but you'd loose the advantages of opencpn weatherfax plugin, which includes chart overlay and Ability to sequential pick each fax to view developing weather situation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-09-2014, 05:12   #8

Could possibly imagine some fade/morph player with a few simple controls for speed, but that would depend on Sean and the need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-09-2014, 17:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiOlivier View Post
Hi Boat Alexandra,

- I receive faxes from SSB with a sound card and the quality is really good.
Ok, great. Which stations? I have been informed that japan taiwan, thailand etc are all defunc, and I can't seem to pick them up either.
Quote:
- Why? I would like to keep a history (many days) with weather events to have a better vision of the situation in OpenCPN with Weathfax if it's possible.

If I use an internet connection, that's ok with pictures. My problem is via SSB, I have the save problem. Just to know, I run Linux.
Don't you get an updated fax each day? Or do you want to compare the previous day's 24 hour prediction to the current map?

I'm trying to come up with the best system to split this plugin into a chart editor plugin. I think maybe the list of faxes will remain persistent when opencpn closes/opens so in this way save to disk (with additional save-as option) and a special option to send selected faxes to the chart editor plugin. When this option is taken, if coordinates exist for that chart (internet retrieval) it will appear immediately on the chart, otherwise, the editor is opened. The first page of the wizard remains in the weather fax plugin, with added zooming capabilities. The second page would go to the chart editor plugin, and the third page can be eliminated and instead the coordinates can be dragged and dropped directly on the chart (to make aligning images to tracks and other charts really easy)
Old 24-09-2014, 05:21   #10

Hi,

All stations for Atlantic (Boston, New Orleans, Rio...). Just in case, the new address for South Africa is :

http://www.weathersa.co.za/media/data/marine/ma_sy.gif

I made the change in WeatherFaxInternetRetrieval.xml

If we can compare previous days thats great. The best, if I can place the 48H forecast (or 96H) on my route... maybe in a next release, now I use hamfax to save a png file.

Thanks for your job.
Old 28-09-2014, 21:24   #11

Please post a diff of the changes to the xml, or make a github fork pull request.

Just implemented support to save to an image file.

Tags
weather