Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 15:13   #496

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WeatherFax...

MSVC++ OUTPUT
for Weatherfax_pi. It does not compile anymore using new code.

Code:
FaxDecoder.cpp
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(454):         error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++         does not support default-int
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(454):         error C2143: syntax error : missing ',' before '*'
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(458):         error C2065: 'userData' : undeclared identifier
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(459):         error C2065: 'Pa_mutex' : undeclared identifier
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(459):         error C2228: left of '.TryLock' must have class/struct/union
        21>          type is ''unknown-type''
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(460):         error C2065: 'Pa_havedata' : undeclared identifier
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(464):         error C2065: 'Pa_havedata' : undeclared identifier
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(465):         error C2065: 'Pa_mutex' : undeclared identifier
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\FaxDecoder.cpp(465):         error C2228: left of '.Unlock' must have class/struct/union
        21>          type is ''unknown-type''
        21>  WeatherFaxImage.cpp ......
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\WeatherFaxImage.cpp(373):         error C3861: 'isnan': identifier not found
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\WeatherFaxImage.cpp(373):         error C3861: 'isnan': identifier not found
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\WeatherFaxImage.cpp(391):         error C3861: 'isnan': identifier not found
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\WeatherFaxImage.cpp(391):         error C3861: 'isnan': identifier not found

21>  wximgkap.cpp
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(272):         error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
        21>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio         10.0\VC\include\math.h(589): could be 'long double sqrt(long         double)'
        21>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio         10.0\VC\include\math.h(541): or       'float sqrt(float)'
        21>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio         10.0\VC\include\math.h(127): or       'double sqrt(double)'
        21>          while trying to match the argument list '(int)'
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(356):         error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
        21>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio         10.0\VC\include\math.h(589): could be 'long double sqrt(long         double)'
        21>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio         10.0\VC\include\math.h(541): or       'float sqrt(float)'
        21>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio         10.0\VC\include\math.h(127): or       'double sqrt(double)'
        21>          while trying to match the argument list         '(int32_t)'
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(365):         error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
        21>          while trying to match the argument list         '(int32_t)'
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(425):         error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(426):         error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(427):         error C2668: 'sqrt' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
        21>..\..\..\plugins\weatherfax_pi\src\wximgkap.cpp(812):         error C3861: 'log2': identifier not found
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 04:50   #497

I ran into Opensource Pyton Weather tools called "Scitools Iris" which looked interesting.
A powerful, easy to use, and community-driven Python library for analysing and visualising meteorological and oceanographic data sets.

Iris documentation homepage — Iris 1.6.0-dev documentation
Installing Iris — Iris 1.6.0-dev documentation
https://github.com/SciTools/iris

Perhaps it can be useful for us sometime.
Old 02-02-2014, 14:35   #498

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
I find the satellite images really useful on ocean passages. At least in the higher latitudes you can see the positions of fronts, and confirm the weather patterns shown on the GRIBS. The height of the cloud tops can be measured (on the IR images by measuring temperature); this along with physical area, barometric pressure etc. can give you a good insight into whether or not the GRIBs are telling the truth. Big thunder storms are also pretty easy to spot.
Yes, agreed. I attach a sample image here, maybe someone can teach me how to use the new 'conical', or any other projection to get this image calibrated via OpenCPN/weatherfax plugin.

I believe, the wav files from wxtoimg have some data encoded into them, so wxtoimg knows which satellite at what time this wav is from. I say this, because one can use wav files fom other people and wxtoimg is able to draw a map over the image by using Keppler data for the satellite.

The audio for a good satellite pass often is 12-14Mbyte, can't upload it here. I uploaded the wav file here:

http://www.filedropper.com/02021005wav

When you open this audio file in wxtoimg, and initiate 'decode', you should get several images, including the one attached to this post.

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02021005-noaa-15-mcir.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	75201  
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 11:02   #499

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1468165
Old 14-02-2014, 16:30   #500

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Yes, agreed. I attach a sample image here, maybe someone can teach me how to use the new 'conical', or any other projection to get this image calibrated via OpenCPN/weatherfax plugin.

I believe, the wav files from wxtoimg have some data encoded into them, so wxtoimg knows which satellite at what time this wav is from. I say this, because one can use wav files fom other people and wxtoimg is able to draw a map over the image by using Keppler data for the satellite.

The audio for a good satellite pass often is 12-14Mbyte, can't upload it here. I uploaded the wav file here:

Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files

When you open this audio file in wxtoimg, and initiate 'decode', you should get several images, including the one attached to this post.

Dirk
How are you receiving the satellite data? What hardware setup?

Perhaps integration with wxtoimg can be possible in the future.. currently I am working on supporting noaa images from http ftp and email, but I won't have much for a few weeks or more.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 19:26   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
How are you receiving the satellite data? What hardware setup?

Perhaps integration with wxtoimg can be possible in the future.. currently I am working on supporting noaa images from http ftp and email, but I won't have much for a few weeks or more.
I bought a dedicated receiver (WRAASE APT-06) and built a simple crossed dipole per Der "GL-Dipol" This only needs wxtoimg and the receiver.

Results with above setup are good.

I tried to do the same using a simple DVB dongle, with the same antenna as above. So far I have barely heard a satellite with this combination, I am far from receiving a picture. Tool chain I am using for this: Orbitron (satellite tracking) ==> DDE interface to SDR sharp ==> SDR sharp for receiving ==> virtual audio cable ==> wxtoimg. With the satellite overhaed I can barely hear the satellite. The dedicated receiver is so much better and receives clear signals when satellite is just a few degrees over the horizon.

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	noaa-18-02142035-hvct.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	76147  
Old 15-02-2014, 04:17   #502

Quote:

Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files
This link takes me to the filedropper main page, can't get the file. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 15-02-2014, 04:33   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This link takes me to the filedropper main page, can't get the file. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Rick

not sure what happened, filedropper says they keep a file for min 30 days.

I uploaded another wave file to my google-drive, try this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1c...it?usp=sharing

wxtoimg should decode this to several pics, one should look like the one attached.

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	noaa-15-02150945-mcir.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	76158  
Old 15-02-2014, 04:45   #504

Thanks Dirk, it worked. Big file 13mb. I'm trying to get some files that can be used for testing weatherfax, but it would be much better to be able to do it with the equipment..
Old 15-02-2014, 05:10   #505

I've uploaded Dirk's file to Opencpn Beta File Thingie, under Wx-sound, it is 13mb. I can play this file with Windows Media and I hear the sound. I tried opening the file using Weatherfax_pi and the attached is what I got. I tried the mercator, polar, conic selections. Am I doing something wrong? There does not appear to be an image, any help would be appreciated. Dirk do you get an image?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Weatherfax_Sound_02150945.wav_from_Dirk.png
Views:	234
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	76159  
Old 15-02-2014, 05:16   #506

Why does it say "Rotate Image" when I use png? Now it is doing the same with Jpeg.
This is screwy!!!!

Anyway the file looks like black and white lines with no image. I hope these png and jpg show properly to others!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Weatherfax_Sound_02150945.wav_from_Dirk.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	76160  
Old 15-02-2014, 05:25   #507

Quote:
Why does it say "Rotate Image" when I use png? Now it is doing the same with Jpeg.
This is screwy!!!!
!
Must be a CF thing, I have the same issues...
Old 15-02-2014, 05:28   #508

Quote:
I've uploaded Dirk's file to Opencpn Beta File Thingie, under Wx-sound, it is 13mb. I can play this file with Windows Media and I hear the sound. I tried opening the file using Weatherfax_pi and the attached is what I got. I tried the mercator, polar, conic selections. Am I doing something wrong? There does not appear to be an image, any help would be appreciated. Dirk do you get an image?

Thanks
The satellite wx wav files need a different decoding algorythm than the HF-wx wav files.

For now, try wxtoimg or jvcomm32 to convert wav to bmp/jpg

It would be interesting if you can 'calibrate' the resulting picture to show in opencpn

Dirk

Edit: here is a longer list of programs capable converting sat-wx sound to pics:
http://www.geo-web.org.uk/soft.php
Old 15-02-2014, 05:30   #509

Too many issues, issues with showing screenshots and issues with loading WAV in Weatherfax.

Dirk do you get white and black lines when you load your 13mb file
02150945.wav? Is this correct? I thought it would be an image? Have tried polar, conic, mercator, etc. (I have uploaded this file to Opencpn Beta File Thingie WX-Sound if anyone wants to test it.)
Old 15-02-2014, 05:32   #510

Quote:
The satellite wx wav files need a different decoding algorythm than the HF-wx wav files.
For now, try wxtoimg or jvcomm32 to convert wav to bmp/jpg
It would be interesting if you can 'calibrate' the resulting picture to show in opencpn
Got it! Ok I will try wxtoimg next.

Tags
paracelle