Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 16:52   #466

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: WeatherFax...

Mike, we all thank you for your help getting this compiled in MSVC++, but mostly me, its been a long haul for me, learning stuff, without much apparent progress. After your success in compiling,
  1. Sean has been sent a github.com Pull Request with your changes, from a duplicate version of changes that I have check does compile and work.
  2. Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass now has weatherfax_win32_pi09_vo331117_pi.dll under the Opencpn 3.3.1117 directory for others to test under Opencpn 3.3.1117.
  3. I will update Tracker weatherfax_pi (with atribution to you!)
Once again. Thank you.

Tomorrow, I hope to enter and test your weather_routing changes! Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 21:35   #467

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
El Pinguino that would be great. We need a number of wav files as examples for testing and learning experience. I will put them on Opencpn Beta File thingi for others to try.
Not dead.... just resting... I haven't forgotten about this... just too many toys on my desk at the moment.

Have hooked everything up.... getting good reception on both the FCD Pro + and on the $10 RTL-SDR ( it can be seen just left of the speaker ) but seem to have issues 'downstream'. The options in WXtoIMG doesn't seem to include these receivers... never mind.... I hope to have some .wavs to send by the New Year... watch this space.

First pic is the received image ( pre enhancement) the other day using the RTL-SDR ($10) with a low noise amplifier ( 30 euros) .... the other two shots are reception using the FCD Pro+ today ( you can see the FCD just below the speaker in the second pic).

Post enhancement I am just getting rubbish.... I suspect 'finger trouble'.

Back soon.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	72512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	72513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	72514  
Old 28-12-2013, 11:19   #468

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I stumbled on this thread while looking for a free weatherfax decoder. I see the Linux version of this plugin already has a decoder, is a Windows decoder in the works? If so, is there a beta I can download? (Unfortunately, switching my nav computer to Linux wouldn't be easy because of driver issues.)

Edit: I think I misread the info on the plugin page. So the Windows version will work if I record a weather fax to a .wav file? Then open the .wav file with the plugin? If so, I can make that work. Cool. Yet again OpenCPN comes to the rescue.

Edit2: Experimented with some .GIF's on the NWS site, this plugin is awesome! Wish I had this for my last crossing.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 15:52   #469

Quote:
Edit: I think I misread the info on the plugin page. So the Windows version will work if I record a weather fax to a .wav file? Then open the .wav file with the plugin? If so, I can make that work. Cool. Yet again OpenCPN comes to the rescue.
I guess that doesn't work on Windows yet. Anyone recommend a free Weather Fax decoder for Windows?
Old 28-12-2013, 16:15   #470

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
I guess that doesn't work on Windows yet. Anyone recommend a free Weather Fax decoder for Windows?
Try looking up FLDigi. I think it supports weather fax (along with a bunch of other digital modes). Try doing searches for Wxfax and might come up with others.

Might get some info from this site too History
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 16:54   #471

Thanks, FLDigi looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I also found "MultiPSK" here: index but for the life of me can't figure out how to use it. :P
Old 04-01-2014, 16:39   #472

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I am looking at splitting the functionality of this plugin into two separate plugins.

One for creating charts from images, correcting projections etc..

Another for only receiving weather fax from audio, or internet sources as well as handling the radiofax schedules and displaying the timeline etc... I also need to hack in portaudio support on linux.

Is this a good idea? any thoughts?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 17:18   #473

El penguin - I m just getting back. Will send you an email or om so you can send the wav. File. I am sorry I was not available to help with questions, but Sean is available now...and he would like some guidance on the direction of the plugin now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-01-2014, 17:45   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
... splitting the functionality of this plugin into two separate plugins.

One for creating charts from images, correcting projections etc..

Another for only receiving weather fax from audio, or internet sources as well as handling the radiofax schedules and displaying the timeline etc... I also need to hack in portaudio support on linux.

Is this a good idea? any thoughts?
Sean, I do think this is a logical split, particularly because the graphics capability can be expanded and that part will work in Linux windows and possibly mac.

Then the receiver plugin would work for Linux and hopefully windows at some point soon (Is there anyone who can help with this part?). By the way, I am really liking your extensive radio fax schedules and storage of settings and parameters and I think that really can be a big help. My one concern and question at this point is that by splitting some important integration might be lost. I need to test out the plugin again and think about it more... anyone else have some thoughts?
Old 06-01-2014, 14:39   #475

Frank [El Pinguino] responded to some questions with some helpful information, after sending some wav and jpeg weather satellite downloads using wxsat.

Quote:
Frank
These are good. I will try them when I catch up. I'll also put them up on Opencpn Beta File thingie for others to use.
I understand you were downloading a different conical projection than what is supported for the first ones. I have run across that and it is frustrating to try to line the coords up and they never work, so I might not put those first ones up on the website, just the jpegs. ---what do you think??

I see that these are direct weather satellite images, very good! I should read back, you were using wxsat for Windows and a dongle or a SSB?

Can you receive the fax image weather surface analysis 24hr, 36hr, 48hr, 92hr and 500mb, Ice limits, etc as Mercator projections? A few examples as .wav files would be nice. I could then test them in the plugin and let others try them too. For some reason we have trouble with 16 bit .wav files, [Actually I had that wrong, it works with 16 bit wav files but not others.] but I would still like them as I have a separate directory for those for when we have it working and can test with those.
Thanks again!

One more question, Is WXsat the best program to use for Windows users to receive and download both satellite weather files and fax files using SSB and Dongle?
Quote:
Hello Rick, The satellite Tx was received by my Funcube Dongle Pro + using the SDR Sharp program on a PC. I just sent it across to my Macbook Pro using the headphone out on the PC and audio in on the Macbook. As the audio was received there it was fed straight into the WxtoImg program. Fussy I know and a bit primitive. It is possible to use that VB Audio program VB-Audio home page to send it from SDR sharp direct to Wxtoimg within the PC but I am all set up to use the mac. My regular set up on the yacht uses an Icom r-1500 with the audio directo into the mac.. far simpler. The NOAA sats aren't txing on SSB… its FM on 137 MHz I think WxtoImg is the best program esp when you get the upgrade.. lots more choice in enhancements. The conical projection is how it arrives from the satellites…. in 'enhancement ' you have the choice of about half a dozen projections which are then produced as Jpegs. I can get plenty of weather fax on HF as mercator projections but don't know how I will save them as .wavs… a project for the next few days. Got to run here… two dogs to take to the vet for routine maintenance, Cheers, Frank
Beginners Guide for WXSAT
Beginner's Guide for WXSAT

WXSAT
WXSat
Quote:
WXSat for Windows 3.1/95/NT, decodes the signals in the APT format from NOAA, Meteor, Okean, Resurs, Meteosat and GOES Satellites (AM) with a Soundcard.
WXSat can decode also FM-Fax for decoding facsimile-signals transmitting via shortwave.
WXSat works with the soundcard input so there is no external sampling hardware required. A cable between the receiver and the soundcard input is enough. The program has also a good English documentation.
WXSAT Hints and downloads
WxSat Program hints and downloads

It is a fairly old program, probably well established....
Any other thoughts... suggestions?

I'd be interested to know if there are good open source programs that do similar work, that can be wrapped into a plugin for Weatherfax (for the Windows side). This might also dovetail with changes Sean is contemplating above...
Old 06-01-2014, 15:25   #476

Here are a couple of other links for setup, images to test with, and another more commercial program

Dale's wxsat Weather Station - description of setup
WxtoImag - more commercial software
WxtoImag Weather Images UK - shows different types of enhancements
Weather Satellite Images Washington, USA - another example of image enhanced
WeatherScience.net
How images are decoded.
Old 06-01-2014, 15:55   #477

Radiofax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-01-2014, 16:57   #478

Trying to find the right open source software for Windows
- multi-purpose FAX, RTTY / SYNOP / NAVTEX and SSTV program
- multimode image and data recording software for soundcards
- marine weatherfax, decoding APT weather satellite, Navtex use, etc.
Needs to be Open Source Software OSF

Some software lists:
APT Weather Satellite Reception - Decoding and Display Software
good review of tools needed.
HF-Fax Software review page
RIGblaster - Links to Ham Radio Sound Card Software
Luxorian Ham Software Review

Amateur Radio Software Links by W1WC
http://ok1ike.c-a-v.com/soubory/soft/sound_soft.htm

Some OpenSource Software Sites
SourceForge - Download, Develop and Publish Free Open Source Software Opensource software
Find Open Source Alternatives to commercial software | Open Source Alternative - osalt.com Opensource software alternatives to commercial
Free Software Directory

Does anyone know of OSF for Windows that would fit the need?

These are not OSF
http://www.pervisell.com/ham/raft_en.htm
http://www.jvcomm.de/index_e.html
http://www.bonito.net/infos/en_ham_rc60.htm
http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

This appears to be a very useful website
http://www.geo-web.org.uk/quickstart.php
review menu items "satellites" and "data and images"

Perhaps it is best to settle for a NOT INTEGRATED arrangement for Windows.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:00   #479

Sean,
Perhaps for obtaining APT Satellite Images, and NOAA SSB transmitted Weather RadioFaxes, etc, we Windows users should just use WxToImag as suggested by Frank [El Pinguino].
See this post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1401680

The Weatherfax Plugin could then be set up to do internet access direct download and requests via email, of various Radiofax and Satellite images available on the net.

The Weather fax Plugin would still be an image manipulator and overlay tool, but decoding SSB signals would be taken care of by another plugin. Is this what you were considering? Is this similar to what are you thinking?
Old 09-01-2014, 00:38   #480

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Decoding ssb by another plugin or another program?

I think the weatherfax plugin can invoke external programs based on schedule information sure, but for HF fax decoding.. it can do that internally.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle