Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:24   #811

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Weather Routing requires an update of the pot-file. In the latest version (from File Thingie) many strings seem to be missing or are not translated.
Yes, it is posslble that the pot files need some small updates due to the addition of "Boundary" checkbox. Hopefully the language authors will get to work on that.

Also I think it would be wonderful if we could figure out how to make the value fields resize to be wide enough to show the contents!

Additionally I would like to see this very useful tool work such that it remembers my own boat's characteristics without my having to reenter the number every time. (xml file)

Additionally I would like to see those boat characteristic numbers extended to two decimal points!

Another thing I would like to see is the pathname for the XML file broken up into two pieces, one for the Directory and another for the actual BOAT.xml file such that we can see both the directory and the file name that is being used.

There are other improvements that could be made but these would help a great deal.

Thank you Sean for creating this plugin and thank you Jon for extending it for avoiding boundarys!

PS: With Grib2 coming from Pavel and Mike, hopefully soon, and Jon's new boundary feature, this plugin is due for some review and improvements, and along with that revamp of the documentation, such that all the features are properly covered.

I would be interested in volunteers who would like to help improve this aspect of the User Manual.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 14:43   #812

I ran the latest with a rather large boundary. The performance was not good in terms of speed. It did adhere to the boundaries however, which I think is a really nice addition. It looks like it needs some optimization however. I am going to try reducing my angular window, which I would think would improve the performance.

Nice work by all on this. Don't mean to sound critical, just pointing out what is probably obvious.

Regards,
Doug.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 00:06   #813

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi,

I posted the below on the O-draw plugin thread but it seems to fit better here (although it affects both plugins).

When the routing hits an O-draw boundary it tends to tack along it.
See screenshots.

Had a chance to try things with high res background map and 30min steps instead of 1hr.
Seems to work.
Still it's more a guideline as one would surely not tack along the coast of England as shown.
See attached screenshots.

One further suggestion.

In the Android sailgrib app, which you might know, they have an option to specify a maximum windspeed and minimum windspeed for the route.
If you are likely to encounter wind above, the routing tries to avoid it or suggests a later start.If you drop below a certain speed you can set a speed you would like to motor at (if at all).Might be a feature to consider for the routing plugin.

Thanks so far, your work on the plugin so far is really great ,

Franziska

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1454918584806.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	118583  
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45   #814
NAV

The version Rick made available recently solved many of the translation issues. But for the following strings the translations are still not shown:
Start Time
End Time
State
Detect Boundary
Last Valid Wind Data if Deficient
Display current
Avg Speed
Max Speed
Avg Speed Ground
Max Speed Ground
Avg Wind
Max Wind
Avg Current
Max Current
Avg Swell
Max Swell
Upwind Percentage
Port Starboard
Tacks
State
InvRoutes

I suggest to change the abbreviations COW and SOW to CTW and STW (change O='over' to T='through').
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:29   #815

I know very little about the international translations process.
NAV advises that we are missing:
Quote:
Start Time
End Time
State
Detect Boundary
Last Valid Wind Data if Deficient
Display current
Avg Speed
Max Speed
Avg Speed Ground
Max Speed Ground
Avg Wind
Max Wind
Avg Current
Max Current
Avg Swell
Max Swell
Upwind Percentage
Port Starboard
Tacks
State
InvRoutes
and suggests change the abbreviations COW and SOW to CTW and STW (change O='over' to T='through')

I read the weather_routing_pi.pot file
Quote:
"Project-Id-Version: weather_routing_pi 1.6002\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2015-06-04 12:58-0500\n"
This file has words and phrases along with the file that they are used in.
What is the process to update this file?
Then I am guessing that others can modify the *.po files on the crowdin pages (don't know that process either, but willing to learn.)

Here is a page from the Development Manual regarding OpenCPN language.
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/internationalization

I logged into the crowdsource translations for Opencpn and did not see anything there for plugins, so I guess plugins are handled separately with poedit and manual updates of the po files.

I see Hakan and Pavel manage the crowdsource site. Perhaps one of you can advise how we can update the POT file to be current? So that others can then make PO files for each language.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:31   #816

Boat: Najad 34

Rick...,Nav...etc
To help Pavel and Dave to maintain Crowdin updates I've got the possibility to load POT files into Crowdin. Let's see what I do about this. It can take a little time extra until I'm fully familiar with the process.
First I will found out where the resent Weather routine code is hosted. Sean's Github I suppose?
I'll do my best and will revert here when Crowdin is updated.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:10   #817

Well --- Not a very good start of my new task..
I'm on a job on a boat for a couple of days and didn't bring my best PC. Sitting here with my old XP (VS10) and without an opencpn.lib for 4.2 I can't build a new ".pot" file.

So unless no one can update potfiles.in and produce a fresh "weather_routing_pi.pot" file I can't be of much help until the end of this week, I'm so sorry.....
(With a new pot-file Crowdin can though be updated in a minute.)

Håkan
Old 08-02-2016, 14:46   #818

Hakan,
We understand. When you get back after sailing....
The most recent right now is Jon's, but I think Sean may have merged Jon's pull requests...

Is the weather_routing_pi.pot automatically current?
(IE it does not need hand updating or something?)
Then you need to upload to crowd source somehow so that others can add the translations to their po file?

We will wait until you get back, and perhaps you can fill me in on the process for plugins too. Thanks. Rick
Old 08-02-2016, 15:00   #819

Rick
In VS2013 you've to "Build only" the POT file project but first potfiles.in needs to be up to date. (That I've done here)
If you make the pot-file I can update first thing tomorrow, here's now midnight - g-night. Post here or a mail.
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf POTFILES.in.pdf (934 Bytes, 32 views)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:50   #820

Boat: Amel Sharki

I guess there is no big difference between Windows and other operating systems for making po/mo files. You need the gettext command, make a search for gettext for Windows in Google. You need to know how the Terminal works especially the path handling.
Then first make an ASCII file called POTFILES.in when not available already which holds all source file names of your plugin line by line, but only these files which may contain language strings. These language strings are preceded with _(" that is underscore, bracket open and quotation mark. e.g.: _("This is a text for translations.")

In the Terminal you use the gettext command like this:
Code:
gettext --from-code=iso-8859-1 --force-po --package-name=xyz_pi --package-version=1.0 --output=xyz_pi.pot --keyword=_ --width=80 --files-from=POTFILES.in
So the parameters for gettext are
--from-code= the kind of code
--force-po to force a po file
--package-name= the name of the plugin
--package-version= the version of the plugin
--output= the name of the resulting pot file
--keyword=_ as explained above
--with=80 the length
--files-from=POTFILES.in the list of files to be processed

If you think there are strings missing in the resulting pot file go to the plugin source files and look there for these strings. Perhaps they are preceded with _T(" or wxT(" and not with _("

If you have already an old po file you can merge it with your new pot file using the msgmerge command which is part of the gettext bundle. Use msgmerge --help in the Terminal window to see how it works.

Otherwise simply make a copy of your new pot file with the extension po to receive an empty po file for the translation work with Poedit.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:09   #821

Boat: PRIVILEGE 12

Hi,
I instaled Weather Routing with Opencpn 4.2, it is possible to play and preview the road with the gribs like QTVLM?
Thanks

Jean Paul
NEVERMIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:56   #822

Jean Paul,
Several years ago I did the Virtual Vendee and I think you were one of the racers. Placed 150 something after running into France at the finish. It has been awhile since I used QTVLM and once I understood the logic, I liked it. Unfortunately, I've forgotten some of the details.

Can you describe how QtVlm allows preview and play of the "road". I recalled there were two main selections "Route" and "Routing" there was a significant difference between the two selections, in that one of them just explored one leg(?). I've forgotten how the "preview" and "play" work and it may have changed considerably in the last 3 years.

... I probably should update QtVlm and use it again. I might be able to advise you better.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:09   #823

Quote:
Rick
In VS2013 you've to "Build only" the POT file project but first potfiles.in needs to be up to date. (That I've done here)
If you make the pot-file I can update first thing tomorrow, here's now midnight - g-night. Post here or a mail.
Håkan
I downloaded potfiles.in.pdf took of the pdf and copied over the potfiles.in in the po directory of my local git repos of JonGough's version of weather_routing_pi. So I don't mess up Sean's.

This is going to become a dry run, I think because Sean is busy improving Weather_routing now. How nice! However, I intent to use this opportunity to understand the localization process! Thank you Hakan.

I will now try to use VS2013 to "Build only" the POT project.
I notice that Gerhard has provided a detailed description of how to use getfiles. Gerhard is that what Hakan has already done to make the potfile.in? or is that something done afterwards? Thank you!

I will add that description and Hakan's somewhere in the Dev Help files for others to follow.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:13   #824

Boat: PRIVILEGE 12

It was exact for the Vendée globe.

With QTVLM , there is a fonction to play the grib and when you play grig on mode "routage" the position of the boat move with the date and grib

QTVLM 5.2-2

I have a bug with weather routing: it was not possible to create a road near island: computer failed.

Weather Routing 1.82

Jean Paul
NEVERMIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:30   #825

Quote:
With QTVLM , there is a fonction to play the grib and when you play grig on mode "routage" the position of the boat move with the date and grib
Yes exactly! It was very nice. You could step through each interval and the boat location would be shown. I think weather_routing should do this, too, but it does not have that feature yet.

Also it seems to me that with QtVlm you could run tests with the grib moved forward or backward by X hours which sometimes was useful to determine which side was best. Is that correct?

Tags
paracelle, weather