Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 01:05   #151

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Weather Routing

German po/mo files are here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1213606
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 06:17   #152

Boat: PRIVILEGE 12

Hi,
Where is the link to download weather routing?
Thanks
jp
NEVERMIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 09:49   #153

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Look above at last post 147 with the link

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1212148
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:39   #154

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello RGLeason,

I have downloaded weather routinf dll. But, when I run OCPN 3.2, nothing occur. This plugin is not present in the plugin tab of OCPN .

What about ?

Thank by advance

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-20_weather_routing.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	59532  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:56   #155

Dear Gilletaron,
Do you realize that weather_routing_pi.dll requires a special version of opencpn.exe, and the grib_enhancements version of grib_pi.dll and a special folder weather_routing/data/ with weatherroutinginformation.html in it? There are notes above about that. You cannot just download and put weather_routing_pi.dll in a regular version of opencpn and expect it to work. We have been working with a special Git branch sean/grib_enhancements which modifies and provides certain required hooks in the base program for the plugin to work.

I would suggest you make a separate copy of your current Opencpn 3.2.0 folder under Program Files (x86) and call it a slightly different name maybe Opencpn-Wx-Rte then download and copy the files needed, also replacing the opencpn.exe with the special version. Then make a short cut to that opencpn.exe. You will need admin rights to do this.

This way you will preserve your current version and setup and stilll be able to run Wx-Rte
Old 20-04-2013, 09:00   #156

HellO RGLeason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

I would suggest you make a separate copy of your current Opencpn 3.2.0 folder under Program Files (x86) and call it a slightly different name maybe Opencpn-Wx-Rte then download and copy the files needed, also replacing the opencpn.exe with the special version. Then make a short cut to that opencpn.exe. You will need admin rights to do this.

Normally, when a developer builds a new version, before leaving intact the main version. And he developed a version that can be installed in parallel.

In reading your post, I understand that this is not the case. This is unfortunate. This does not facilitate the task of the users who are testing.

Can you confirm that I understand?

Best regards

Gilletarom.
Old 20-04-2013, 10:01   #157

I am conservative about these things. Install it in parallel, but I don't have an install package.

I believe I can run the other plugin.dlls in this special version of Opencpn. (I have not tested them all but many run fine, I can even Git Clone for plugins and compile those plugins easily with out changing branches back)

I have asked about making an install package for this special Weather_routing version but have not gotten any response. (I do not know how to do it.) I have also asked questions and made suggestions about how to test and move these improvements into the main program branch "origin/master" but have heard nothing more from others.....

In any case, we should be thanking Sean for all his skills and work and just using this weather_routing grib_enhancement branch, and not worry about melding it in with the main branch........
Old 20-04-2013, 10:11   #158

Gilletarom, there is another way to do this...
In your program files (x86)/opencpn directory.
Rename your opencpn.exe to opencpn-3.2.0.exe.
Name the Wx-Rte opencpn.exe to opencpn-wx-rte.exe
Copy the version you want to use to opencpn.exe.
Copy the other files needed for wx-rte as noted above.
Start opencpn normally.
Old 20-04-2013, 10:27   #159

hello RGLeason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gilletarom, there is another way to do this...
In your program files (x86)/opencpn directory.
Rename your opencpn.exe to opencpn-3.2.0.exe.
Name the Wx-Rte opencpn.exe to opencpn-wx-rte.exe
Copy the version you want to use to opencpn.exe.
Copy the other files needed for wx-rte as noted above.
Start opencpn normally.
I think I can make on my machine, this second method. But I also know that it is almost useless for most other users.

I want to update a website that explains many things about OpenCPN. (Shoreline)
I have not yet begun to talk about your plugin. One thing is certain, I can not explain it easily. And no user will engage in this kind of tinkering. And I can not advise.

If you are unable to get along with Dave then your plugin will not have much success.

Best regards

Gilletarom
Old 20-04-2013, 11:22   #160

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

There is another ting about the plugin. You cannot export the route to route manager when using the windows version, which is unfortunate. I would like to use it but there are some other things that are not in place.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:32   #161

Gilletarom,

I just run Opencpn.exe with the Opencpn-wx-rte.exe version, the plugins generally run fine (haven't found a problem yet). I like the option of being able to revert back. That's certainly not so difficult.

Quote:
If you are unable to get along with Dave then your plugin will not have much success.
I think it is your french idom and expression. I have been just helping to compile plugins, many of them Sean's work. I don't know Dave really, but I am generally a peaceful guy, just helping however I can.

Perhaps someone who knows Dave can ask him or perhaps he will read this and help us out with some suggestions about how to integrate the necessary hooks for weather_routing and grib_enhancements into Opencpn.exe. I know he is not a fan of gribs, but I don't think he is close minded.

Taarnskov's point about route transfer to route manager is also good.
Old 20-04-2013, 14:14   #162

I just saw a GIT Log note that David had merged Sean/grib. Do not know if that means that opencpn.exe will have the necessary hooks for weather_routing_pi.dll but it might.

Note that Sean's grib_pi.dll will work with Opencpn 3.2.0 and that weather_routing requires sean's or jean's most recent grib file plus the special version of opencpn-wx-rte.exe. (until the above is confirmed).
Old 20-04-2013, 16:41   #163

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

It appears dave has merged my branch, so a separate main program would not be needed anymore. Of course you still have to build from latest source.

For exporting routes.. this is not possible in windows still, but I asked dave to take a look at it and a solution is likely pending.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 16:54   #164

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

As far as complete, this plugin is far from that, and probably will always have work. I got excited when I first got something to work so I posted it. It is actually still full of bugs which need to be fixed, and many incomplete or untested features. I had this idea in my head and was itching to implement it.

I also think it is interesting to compare results to qtvlm since we are using completely different logic. The method I have used uses fewer lines of code, but is also very complicated to understand, and we both have very different features. Hopefully with testing this can improve either or both programs in the long term, determine what is important, and open the way for free weather routing.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 17:36   #165

Quote:
It appears dave has merged my branch, so a separate main program would not be needed anymore. Of course you still have to build from latest source.

For exporting routes.. this is not possible in windows still, but I asked dave to take a look at it and a solution is likely pending.
That is truly awesome, thank you Sean and Dave!

Sean, will there be any additional work on Weather_Routing in the near term?
If so, what is suggested process for GIT?

Branch for grib_enhancements now? origin/beta3.2.1?
I suppose I would git from there, then go to sean/grib_enhancements and git clone weather_routing_pi?

Tags
paracelle, weather