Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14   #106

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48
Re: Wweather Rrouting

I have problems getting access to the files in post 92. The only one that I can download is WeatherRoutingInformation.html.dll.doc

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:22   #107

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Would a parallel way be an option? Release a working version with the weather PI for testing purposes and meanwhile continue with 3.2.1. and 3.2.2 No support by the regular developers for the intermediate version, and make use of the experiences with the PI-version of Opencpn.
If we play along with this scenario for a minute..... Is anyone of you guys, prepared to handle (compile) the Windows release ?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:30   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
If we play along with this scenario for a minute..... Is anyone of you guys, prepared to handle (compile) the Windows release ?

Thomas
If I could, I would
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:47   #109

I am sorry, but i am not familiar with compiling source codes.

Lars
Old 12-04-2013, 14:11   #110

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello RGleason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Weather_routing_pi.dll.doc is not correct link. 1ko ????
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:37   #111

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Regarding the links:
Sorry, the links seemed to be working for me after I created them. I will check correct and do what is necessary. (I just tried it and it works for me, so it is a permissions problem on the website I think. I'll have to fix it.) Sorry about that.

Regarding Compile Windows version:
I will volunteer for this, provided I am given a little advice as to how to do it (never done this part) and provided I am here to do it (may be sailing at times during the summer). I will need to know where to upload to, or could upload to my website, once I get link corrected.

Sean is an essential part of this, so it is all contingent on Sean's decision.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 20:07   #112

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The current plan looks something like this, as far as I understand:

A short 3.2.1 beta series leading to a 3.2.2 bugfix release.
After that the 3.3 beta development series will be launched, where the current Grib development will be merged into the mainstream OpenCPN. At this stage testing, including the routing plugin, can proceed as usual.
So basically releases are alternated between new features, and bug fixes correct? The new grib stuff should work as a plugin only, but the changes to the core allow the weather routing plugin to access coastline data. So without rebuilding the main program the grib plugin should still work. I know a lot of you are great at making my work crash your computer, so it would be great to do this to the enhanced grib plugin (if you can) to make sure it is stable. I am leaving in a few weeks and have no idea if I will have internet access or not, or for how long. So I hope this work does not get pushed aside in the meantime. I may therefore be gone long before 3.2.2 release, but I really want to get this integrated before the next release because that could be a year or two away.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 20:08   #113

Posted by rgleason:
Quote:
Opencpn.zip
Grib_pi.dll.doc
Weather_routing_pi.dll.doc
WeatherRoutingInformation.html.dll.doc

Right Click and Save File as.
Gilletaron that is correct, only image files work using that technique. I had not realized the problem. Tonight I got onto my ubuntu server and tried to figure out what was happening, because the folder has all the permissions set properly for read public read access and it works for only images, it appears.

If someone has some suggestions to make this work (Using Apache and Webmin/Virtualmin I'd appreciate it). However I am working on an alternative, using a little php program called File Thingie which does give us downloads and good flexibility, even passwords if we find we need it, but when I click and download these files, my Norton complains and even removes one of the files. I don't know if this will be a good way to do it. I think one reason this happens might be that I have let thesecurity certificate lapse for my server. Should we try this anyway?
Old 12-04-2013, 20:33   #114

Okay, I'm going to post the link in hopes that it will work for the majority, keep in mind that Nortan may complain and remove the file. You should do what you think best. Perhaps we'll find a better way later if this proves to be a problem.

Click here and you'll see the files. Then click on each file and download it.

Let me know if there are problems.

Sean I think I can fit into your schedule, lets hope we get some other guys testing this pronto!
Old 12-04-2013, 20:37   #115

Perhaps I just have to enable the FTP server on my virtual machine. Then don't I need to have passwords though?
Old 12-04-2013, 20:47   #116

Withnrespect to the server rgleason has setup, is there no way the core allows you to out the files on the opencpn.org site?

I was asleep but if it keeps given hou troubles putting the files on the server I'm willing to them on mine. No problem, however I think it should be forcome that it leads to a splitup of where to find opencpn related files.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 21:58   #117

It works great to get the file down from your server, and i have got the plugin running. Where my testing has stopped now is when i am told after i have made a route - in a popup window,

"export function not supported for visual studio compiler on windows".

Is this something in my setup?

Lars
Old 13-04-2013, 02:06   #118

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

export is not supported on visual studio (windows only) because it is a hack anyway to convert the weather route to an opencpn route at the moment, and this hack cannot work without additional modifications. (refer to the source code)

You could either modify the code to make it work on windows (I cannot as I have no access to windows) or.. I think it is probably overdue to try building opencpn using mingw instead of visual studio. Then you can also compile for 64 bit, and/or use gtk backend instead of windows native which could be interesting as well. Mingw is gcc and it would be preferred over VS as gcc is open source. I would personally like to see use of visual studio dropped and mingw adopted if at all possible, and it would greatly simplify differences between the platforms in the future.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 03:38   #119

Sean you're talking greek, its ok.
GCC=GNU Compiler Collection Looks like 4.8 is stable.
Mingw=Minimalist GNU for Windows

============
Sean says:
Quote:
export is not supported on VS(windows only) because it is a hack anyway to convert the weather route to an opencpn route..and this hack cannot work without additional modifications.
1. Either modify the code to make it work on windows
2. Or...overdue to try building opencpn using mingw instead of visual studio.
Then you can also compile for 64 bit, and/or use gtk backend instead of windows native which could be interesting as well.
I am guessing if we do 2 I'll have to compile with a new program. Is that difficult? --Probably not. Also this has to flow into the main program, how comfortable are people with those two compilers? Is is good for long haul?

How hard to do #1 Would I be able to do it with a little help from all of our talented friends here. Are there other items that are needed like this?
Old 13-04-2013, 03:44   #120

Thank you Taarnskov for catching/confirming the download. Maybe ftp server is not needed. Hats off to Haugstrop File Thingie

Taarnskov can you explain in a little more detail how you export in linux? Thanks. ....where command is etc. I have been using waypoint/properties and cut and paste lat long into wx-rte for ship and destination. Did not see a way to do route yet.

Tags
paracelle, weather