Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 02:32   #1411

Boat: First 18
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
Ok, it works now. For some reason the build did generate a binary named "output/bin/wxformbuilder-30" instead of overwriting the old one called "output/bin/wxformbuilder"...
However, it looks like wxTimePickerCtrl has issues on GTK: I cannot click on minutes or seconds in order to change them, I have to click on hours, then use the keyboard to move left !

Seems this is a known issue: https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/604 ...
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 03:18   #1412

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
However, it looks like wxTimePickerCtrl has issues on GTK: I cannot click on minutes or seconds in order to change them, I have to click on hours, then use the keyboard to move left !

Seems this is a known issue: https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/604 ...
Is it worth reverting to that horrible thing that was there before? I would personally call it cosmetic and kept waiting for a fix in WX for now...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 06:06   #1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Is it worth reverting to that horrible thing that was there before? I would personally call it cosmetic and kept waiting for a fix in WX for now...
I'm probably not the best person to answer this. *I* can certainly live with this.

But is this the case for people using openplotter or some other embedded system (rpi etc), where most usage is probably done by mouse or touchscreen ? Just wondering.

It guess it would surely be appreciated if there was at least some workaround (not involving the keyboard) to this...
Old 19-02-2018, 06:12   #1414

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
I'm probably not the best person to answer this. *I* can certainly live with this.

But is this the case for people using openplotter or some other embedded system (rpi etc), where most usage is probably done by mouse or touchscreen ? Just wondering.

It guess it would surely be appreciated if there was at least some workaround (not involving the keyboard) to this...
We are talking about a maximum possible deviation of 30 minutes from "the ideal departure time" the user could wish to set, I call this issue cosmetic even for a touchscreen device. But of course, it is also just my personal opinion...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 07:01   #1415

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
And it doesn't. kevinvh wording is misleading indeed, how about:

A new version of the Weather Route plugin has been installed.

"Import new boats and polars" will overwrite the provided boats and polars with newer data. If you have modified this data by yourself, your modifications will be lost, so be sure to backup them. If you have added new polars or boats, they will be kept untouched.

"Import example configurations" will overwrite your route configurations with a sample set showing you how WeatherRouting works. Backup your existing configurations if you need.

Pressing "OK" will apply the selected changes, pressing "Cancel" will do nothing and you will be asked again on the next launch.

O Import new boats and polars
O Import example route configurations

(there are checkboxes not exclusive choices !)
Hi Stelian,

That works for me. Can I suggest some rearranging of the wording:

A new version of the Weather Route plugin has been installed.

"Import new boats and polars" will overwrite the standard boats and polars with newer data. If you have modified this data and not changed the names, your modifications will be overwritten, so be sure to backup your changes. If you have added new polars or boats with exclusive names, they will be kept untouched.

"Import example configurations" will overwrite your route configurations with a sample set showing you how WeatherRouting works. Backup your existing configurations if you need.

Pressing "OK" will apply the selected changes, pressing "Cancel" will do nothing and you will be asked again on the next launch.

O Import new boats and polars
O Import example route configurations
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 07:25   #1416

Ok, so here is what it looks like.

The logic behind is ready too, so unless someone yells in the next few hours regarding the wording, I'll submit this for inclusion.

Stelian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture du 2018-02-19 16-23-33.png
Views:	61
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	164417  
Old 19-02-2018, 08:36   #1417

Quote:

The logic behind is ready too, so unless someone yells in the next few hours regarding the wording, I'll submit this for inclusion.

Stelian.
Good for me.
Old 19-02-2018, 09:46   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It's a nice idea, but I want to understand why this is such an issue.

It shouldn't overwrite any polars you made with unique names. If you edit a polar, but use the existing filename, then it may be overwritten. I would suggest users save their own polars in a unique place anyway.

I think it's more important we modify the existing polars to define speeds with wind speeds up to 60 knots (rather than only 20) Not sure how to do it, as many boats cannot beat against the wind in these conditions at all.
I searched the internet and could not find polars for my Lagoon 500 that adequately portrait its performance. There certainly is nothing within the WR PI that went close.

I found it easy to create new polars and developed an Excel spreadsheet for the purpose. That way I could easily change the performance criteria using formulas and factors, and a graphical representation to show anything that is seriously in error. I think I ran my calculations out to 40 knots as I would not be sailing in anything greater.

Saving the results of the Excel spreadsheet as a CSV allowed me to pick it up with the Polar_Plugin in OpenCPN and save it in my Polar folder with the pol extension. Could just as easily renamed the text file with the pol extension, but it was nice to look at the polar with the Polar_Plugin.

I have three polars for my Lagoon 500, full sail, sail under genaker and motoring. I use all three and let the Weather Routing decide upon the best for the forecast conditions.
Old 19-02-2018, 11:28   #1419

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
You're correct. Feel free to suggest an alternative wording (I'm not a native English speaker after all).

--- Will work on it tonight.

New boat and polars which may be updated, and "example configurations" that will work out of the box

This should be ok even if you choose CANCEL, because, if the boats or polars directory doesn't exist, the plugin will still copy the files to the correct place.

----GOOD.

I could check the boxes by default if the plugin has never been used (since the introduction of the test, that's it). How's that ?

----YES, this is a GOOD IDEA.

@ KevinH
Upload your Lagoon Polar here and we will add it to the polars file. Call it a Unique name.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:36   #1420

Quote:
You're correct. Feel free to suggest an alternative wording (I'm not a native English speaker after all).

--- Will work on it tonight.

New boat and polars which may be updated, and "example configurations" that will work out of the box

This should be ok even if you choose CANCEL, because, if the boats or polars directory doesn't exist, the plugin will still copy the files to the correct place.

----GOOD.

I could check the boxes by default if the plugin has never been used (since the introduction of the test, that's it). How's that ?

----YES, this is a GOOD IDEA.

@ KevinH
Upload your Lagoon Polar here and we will add it to the polars file. Call it a Unique name.

@ Stelian Post #1416 is excellent! Thank you so much!
Stelian.
Attached Thumbn
Old 19-02-2018, 13:21   #1421

Quote:
Submitted.
Old 19-02-2018, 13:21   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
@ KevinH

@ Stelian Post #1416 is excellent! Thank you so much!
Stelian.
Attached Thumbn
OK, here are my three polars for the Lagoon 500:
- Lagoon 500 Full Sail.pol
- Lagoon 500 Genaker.pol
- Lagoon 500 Motoring.pol

Please note that the stupid restrictions on file extensions have caused me to add ".kml" to the extension on each file. These will have to be removed when you receive the files.

There is no .pol file extension and the .txt extension is limited to 1,000 bytes. There is no .zip extension. Why don't you have a size limitation on file uploads and forget about extensions?
Old 19-02-2018, 14:43   #1423

Thanks Stelian. Kevinh we don't control the CF standards, they host us. Thankyou CF!

PS: You can also add .doc or .pdf which we all have to do.

PSS I'll have to make a pull request with your files next.
Old 19-02-2018, 14:58   #1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Thanks Stelian. Kevinh we don't control the CF standards, they host us. Thankyou CF!

PS: You can also add .doc or .pdf which we all have to do.

PSS I'll have to make a pull request with your files next.
Thanks Rick. I am really intrigued and impressed by the work that is going into the weather-routing-pi. It is a wonderful tool and very well thought out.

One of these days you will have to fill me in on the characters and the structure/relationships that exist - I find it very interesting and I am willing to contribute more if it is helpful. Otherwise, I am happy doing what I am doing now - passing the odd comment and making the odd suggestion.

I still have not figured out how to get my email address to you.
Old 19-02-2018, 23:38   #1425
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post

I still have not figured out how to get my email address to you.
You can send Rick a personal message with your mail address
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather