Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2018, 15:43   #1246

Boat: Lagoon 500
Re: Weather Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Thanks Pavel - the new Weather Route Plugin fixed the issue. I now have a saved weather route.
Hi Pavel - the new weather route plugin caused other problems - slow screen refresh, windows disappearing and other effects I did not notice before. I uninstalled OpenCPN and cleaned out all the config files, then reinstalled. This time I used the previous weather route plugin.

Still can't export with previous plugin but OpenCPN now seems to be stable.

Attached is the crash report from when OpenCPN crashed on weather route export. Hope it helps.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 16:05   #1247

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Hi Pavel - the new weather route plugin caused other problems - slow screen refresh, windows disappearing and other effects I did not notice before. I uninstalled OpenCPN and cleaned out all the config files, then reinstalled. This time I used the previous weather route plugin.

Still can't export with previous plugin but OpenCPN now seems to be stable.

Attached is the crash report from when OpenCPN crashed on weather route export. Hope it helps.
kevin...
"Slow screen refresh" means exactly what?

Windows disappearing means exactly what? My favourite macOS "feature" of modal windows not being modal and getting behind other windows? (Yes, that is very annoying in the WR plugin, but very simple to fix to some extent) Or something else?

"Other effects" mean exactly what?

I am not very interested in fixing old code as you may imagine, less if it is not mine as in this case, so it would be much better and would produce something usable much faster if you reported stuff with the current codebase...

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 16:21   #1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
kevin...
"Slow screen refresh" means exactly what?

Windows disappearing means exactly what? My favourite macOS "feature" of modal windows not being modal and getting behind other windows? (Yes, that is very annoying in the WR plugin, but very simple to fix to some extent) Or something else?

"Other effects" mean exactly what?

I am not very interested in fixing old code as you may imagine, less if it is not mine as in this case, so it would be much better and would produce something usable much faster if you reported stuff with the current codebase...

Thanks

Pavel
OK, I will reinstall the new weather route plugin and see if I can be a little more specific about the problems I think it causes. Now you have mentioned it, much of my issues are windows disappearing behind the main map window and other windows from where they cannot be dragged from behind - how do I fix this or does it require recoding?

Regards
Old 15-01-2018, 16:33   #1249

Quote:
OK, I will reinstall the new weather route plugin and see if I can be a little more specific about the problems I think it causes. Now you have mentioned it, much of my issues are windows disappearing behind the main map window and other windows from where they cannot be dragged from behind - how do I fix this or does it require recoding?

Regards
It needs a small modification to the code, specific for macOS, something like https://github.com/nohal/iacfleet_pi...cfleet.cpp#L97
The result is still not perfect, but at least the windows do not get "lost" completely. There should be more we can do about it with wxWidgets 3.2, once it stabilises and we switch to it.

Pavel
Old 15-01-2018, 16:54   #1250

Quote:
It needs a small modification to the code, specific for macOS, something like https://github.com/nohal/iacfleet_pi...cfleet.cpp#L97
The result is still not perfect, but at least the windows do not get "lost" completely. There should be more we can do about it with wxWidgets 3.2, once it stabilises and we switch to it.

Pavel
Way over my head - I will wait until it gets fixed by the pros.

Thanks
Old 16-01-2018, 04:41   #1251

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello WR team,

Last week, I started testing with O4810109 and I also installed the latest versions of WR and DR that RGleason gave us.

Let me tell you an anecdote. I loaded a grib file with the wind and current data and wanted to sail the boat from Cherbourg (North Cotentin in France) to Plymouth (South West England, on the Channel). The wind was strong, so that on this road, it is in direct line.
WR was unable to find a weather-route !!!!

Explanation: When installing OpenCPN, gshhs files are not automatically set up. And I forgot to add them ....

For 3 days, I hit my head against the wall. I contacted Did-g ... I told him: "WR it's **** ..."

And then I added the gshhs files ... and everything went back to normal .... WR went immediately to Plymouth

Hello, WR team, could you set up a test, at the time of the installation of WR, or the first use of WR, to check that the files gshhs are present in the PC?

Thank you in advance.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:44   #1252

Gilletarom...
On a normal OpenCPN installation, at least the crude resolution GSHHS files are always present. And none are strictly needed for the weather routing plugin at all.

Pavel
Old 16-01-2018, 04:59   #1253

Pavel,
Quote:
Gilletarom...
On a normal OpenCPN installation, at least the crude resolution GSHHS files are always present. And none are strictly needed for the weather routing plugin at all.
Pavel
If you check the box "Detect land", when you choose the configuration of WR, then WR works then using the files gshhs.
If you only have files coming in with OpenCPN, the result is catastrophic.
If you add the gshhs files (more than 100 MB), then the coastline is much more accurate. And WR can do much better research.
This is explained in the site manual "opencpn.org". And my mishap confirms that.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:02   #1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Pavel,

If you check the box "Detect land", when you choose the configuration of WR, then WR works then using the files gshhs.
If you add the gshhs files (more than 100 MB), then the coastline is much more accurate. And WR can do much better research.
This is explained in the site manual "opencpn.org". And my mishap confirms that.
Yes, and this applies only to coastal areas like the one you are interested in. Totally irrelevant for an ocean crossing.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:32   #1255

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Pavel,

It is a good idea to warn the user if they checked this box, and do not have the highest resolution gshhs files installed... Not exactly sure the best way to do it.

Should it warn the user just once?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:33   #1256

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Nohal and Gilletarom, I agree with both of you on these points, and we must consider the unknowing user here...

1. When a weatherroutingconfiguration.xml is loaded and any configuration has "Detect Land" checked, then WR should verify GSHHG is available and issue a message if it is not, or to "uncheck" automatically "Detect Land" and even Grey it out so it is not accessible. Perhaps with a popup message about GSHHS/G when it is clicked.

2. When "Detect Land" is checked WR should check if GSHHG are available and issue a message if it is not.

Hello, WR team, could you set up a test, at the time of the installation of WR, or the first use of WR, to check that the files gshhs are present in the PC?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:49   #1257

Pavel,
Quote:
Yes, and this applies only to coastal areas like the one you are interested in. Totally irrelevant for an ocean crossing.
Certainly.

That said, if I have to take this argument "literally", ie to the first degree, then we should ask for the creation of two plugins:
- One that would serve wherever a good knowledge of the details of the coasts (and local currents) is important,
- The other one that would only serve users who want to cross an ocean.
If the WR team wants to get started ...
But I'm not asking them ...
Old 16-01-2018, 05:49   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
If at all, then for sure.
Old 16-01-2018, 06:20   #1259

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
It is a good idea to warn the user if they checked this box, and do not have the highest resolution gshhs files installed... Not exactly sure the best way to do it.
yes

Quote:
see below.

Sense if Gsshs is available and just Grey out the "Detect Land" and the "Check" and don't use it when doing a routing.

Also leave a message in the result box in addition to any other messages, "gsshs not avail" or even a reminder that "high res gssh not avail"
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 10:22   #1260

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
If at all, then for sure.
I mean that it records that it had warned the user, so restarting opencpn, will not result in another warning.

I think this is best, but if the users share a machine, or are forgetful it might not be enough.

The alternative would be to make a note of this in the report or status of the configuration without a popup, but then the user might not see it.

How shall the plugin "detect" the gshhs levels?

1) Should it perform a known land crossing segment that will pass only from the highest level (this is subject to fail with updated gshhs
2) Check disk for the files (and where are they located, normally plugins don't know these paths)
3) add function to plugin api for this?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather