Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 16:35   #76
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Sean, I thank you for being persistent!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Weather_routing-MSVC-Debug-Build-Output-7.doc (14.2 KB, 31 views)
__________________

__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 17:57   #77
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BVI
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,640
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Could you pull the grib enhancements branch.. I think that had the needed changes not weather routing
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:37   #78
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Ok willl do right now, just saw this.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:43   #79
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

That did it.

Quote:
git pull sean grib_enhancements
Will compile next

Code:
C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git>git fetch --all
Fetching origin
Fetching sean
Fetching ptizef

C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git>git branch -a
  master  
  origin/master
* sean/grib_enhancements
etc
  remotes/sean/grib_enhancements
  remotes/sean/master
  remotes/sean/stable

C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git>git pull sean grib_enhancements
From git://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN
 * branch            grib_enhancements -> FETCH_HEAD
Updating 793cb26..5561ed9
Fast-forward
 include/gshhs.h                      | 6 +++---
 plugins/grib_pi/src/GribUIDialog.cpp | 2 ++
 src/gshhs.cpp                        | 2 +-
 3 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:52   #80
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Did the git pull then did git clone for weather_routing for good measure.
I can see its getting there.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Weather_routing-MSVC-Debug-Build-Output-8.doc (15.1 KB, 25 views)
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,178
Re: Wweather Rrouting

The latest code compile OK on Kubuntu amd 64 12.10.
I had a crash i the middle of creating a ~400M route.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=route.png Views: 111 Size: 90.2 KB ID: 58941" style="margin: 2px" />

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54   #82
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 619
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
What are those columns that you'd like?

Also do you find the Tree view for Gribs useful, or would it be okay to just have a drop down selector with a button to browse to a new directory?
In principle I could do without the GRIB Control Dialog at all. Anyway, it might start as minimized, always selectiing the first (or closest to current time) GRIB record from the newest file in the configured directory.
I usually view the GRIB data as tabular columns in the Route Properties, and I view the GRIB chart by selecting a waypoint in the waypoints list for the route. The "Sync to Route" feature then ensures that GRIB barbs shown correspond to the ETA of the selected waypoint. I can step waypoint-by-waypoint to examine the situation.
This is usally more convenient than stepping through GRIB records via GRIB Control, but not always.

Please note that this is still the Route Properties Dialog, so it does center the chart on selected waypoint, and continuously adjusts everything properly for the Active Route...

What columns to include? Generally - as few as possible, to minimize space taken by the dialog. I think this means what I have now:

- waypoint name
- leg distance
- ETA (including daylight status)
- Nearest tide event, if tides enabled
- Speed for the leg
- Wind forecast for next leg (including point-of-sail info)
- Sea current for next leg (with drift effect info), if enabled

Drift column includes 4 values:
- sea current speed in knots
- sea current direction
- net speed effect on boat in knots (+ or -) along route leg
- net set effect on boat's course (e.g. if boat speed=0, this equals sea current direction)

whatever is available next is nice to have:

- precipitation (if not shown on GRIB chart as shading)
- sea state forecast for next leg

If I would program this again today, I would consider the following improvements:

- I would extend dayligt status info to include moon phase
- I would display tide status as relative e.g. HW+3 or LW-1, instead of giving time of nearest HW or LW
- maybe I would show the speed for next leg, instead of speed for past leg
- maybe I would change the method of calculation for sea current effect

I attach another example, showing use of combined wind and sea current GRIB (from a previous test version).

For long distance planning, I could do with 12 static monthly wind and sea current GRIBS, with data just as in the pilot charts.

To view precipitation properly, I have now to use Ugrib...

Good luck in your work!

P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skagerrak_Wind_Drift_1128.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	58942  
__________________
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:38   #83
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Maybe I should just go find something to run Linux that would be good for the boat!
Pjotrc are you another talented programmer, having built your own system?
Thomas why does it always seem so simple for you guys?
I can see Sean has been very patient with this effort.
I'm going to try to figure out what is causing the problem here.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:51   #84
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BVI
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,640
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Did the git pull then did git clone for weather_routing for good measure.
I can see its getting there.
I tried something else, maybe it works on windows now. Need both branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The latest code compile OK on Kubuntu amd 64 12.10.
I had a crash i the middle of creating a ~400M route.
Thomas
Thanks for the report.. First of all.. go into configuration and uncheck inverted routes (the bug is somewhere with that and it's relatively complex logic) It only really applies if you route around and island and reach the back side after the routes from either side meet up. Hopefully you can make routes without crashing now.

As for fixing it, I need to be able to reproduce it. Due to the complexity of the algorithm (look at routemap.cpp) I cannot determine the reason from a line number. The actual bug is probably in a completely different place. Could you give me the starting position, lat/lon, and what boat you used (boat.xml from ~/.opencpn/boat.xml) and and what degree steps. Also if you loaded a csv polar I would need that as well. Also the grib file used and starting time.

I don't get any crashes so I am wondering if this is because of 64bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
In principle I could do without the GRIB Control Dialog at all. Anyway, it might start as minimized, always selectiing the first (or closest to current time) GRIB record from the newest file in the configured directory.
I usually view the GRIB data as tabular columns in the Route Properties, and I view the GRIB chart by selecting a waypoint in the waypoints list for the route. The "Sync to Route" feature then ensures that GRIB barbs shown correspond to the ETA of the selected waypoint. I can step waypoint-by-waypoint to examine the situation.
This is usally more convenient than stepping through GRIB records via GRIB Control, but not always.
So, whatever point is selected in the list, it draws everywhere grib data at that time? I thought it might be interesting to draw the wind barbs according to the route map so you can see the wind over the whole passage as it would occur.. so wind barbs change in time and space.. but some people may find this confusing. In any case, with the current timeline slider, it draws the position along the route as the grib changes.
Quote:
Please note that this is still the Route Properties Dialog, so it does center the chart on selected waypoint, and continuously adjusts everything properly for the Active Route...
So you mean the route properties already in the main program? There is currently no correct way for a plugin to communicate with the route properties dialog
Quote:
What columns to include? Generally - as few as possible, to minimize space taken by the dialog. I think this means what I have now:

- waypoint name
- leg distance
- ETA (including daylight status)
- Nearest tide event, if tides enabled
- Speed for the leg
- Wind forecast for next leg (including point-of-sail info)
- Sea current for next leg (with drift effect info), if enabled

Drift column includes 4 values:
- sea current speed in knots
- sea current direction
- net speed effect on boat in knots (+ or -) along route leg
- net set effect on boat's course (e.g. if boat speed=0, this equals sea current direction)

whatever is available next is nice to have:

- precipitation (if not shown on GRIB chart as shading)
- sea state forecast for next leg

If I would program this again today, I would consider the following improvements:

- I would extend dayligt status info to include moon phase
Maybe integrate with celestial plugin to get this data..
Quote:
- I would display tide status as relative e.g. HW+3 or LW-1, instead of giving time of nearest HW or LW
- maybe I would show the speed for next leg, instead of speed for past leg
- maybe I would change the method of calculation for sea current effect
Yes, well ultimately the user should be able to select which columns they want.
Quote:
I attach another example, showing use of combined wind and sea current GRIB (from a previous test version).

For long distance planning, I could do with 12 static monthly wind and sea current GRIBS, with data just as in the pilot charts.
Do you have these gribs available? I would like to experiment with them.
Quote:
To view precipitation properly, I have now to use Ugrib...

Good luck in your work!

P.
Precipitation is supported in the new grib plugins
__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:40   #85
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Sean It compiled! I'm psyched. I've started a grib file. (Should it be agrib starting now and running into the future-?)

Then brought up Weather_routing. Pretty darn neat! Everything is there.

I've put to boat inside the grib area. Tried hitting start even though it does not have a destination and it fails. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your perseverance!
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:52   #86
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Sean I hate to do this to you....
I picked an old Grib and brought it up. Then move the boat within the grib area.
Then set a destination for the boat, go to here (with right click).

Then I brought up Weather_routing. And picked start.
Shortly I got many messages saying it had computed the course, one right after another. I selected Break and copiied the Call Stack.

I am sure it is something I've done wrong.

THIS IS COOL I'm so excited! I'm going to keep banging away at it.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Weather_routing-MSVC-Call Stack.doc (2.1 KB, 26 views)
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:12   #87
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Got it running isochrones. Then a small step error and it could not complete.
Some images and a call stack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creating Grib.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	58983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Creating-Grib-Step-Error-Stop-Break.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	58984  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plot-Image.png
Views:	119
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	58986  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Creating-Grib-Step-Error-Stop-Break-Call-Stack.doc (2.4 KB, 17 views)
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:14   #88
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

After, above, hit continue. Shows this --almost like a fence was drawn so it would not compute isochrones towards the "goto" point, but the macro is still running...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-after-Almost-like-a-fence-drawn.png
Views:	120
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	58988  
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:24   #89
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

Moved goto so it was a direct route to it without going around any land, hit reset and Start. It still did not seem to want to calc out to Nantucket, and then the compute window came up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Move-Goto-Reset-Start.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	58989  
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:38   #90
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 8,007
Re: Wweather Rrouting

I got it to complete a route out into the atlantic.
When it completed I got multiple Computation complleted. Destination Reached.
Could hit break, take Call stack.
Hit Continue, breaks by itself, Tack call stack.
So there are two files.
__________________

__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle, weather

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yachts in transit - new system for weather, blogging, diving, walking tracking sail-fish Navigation 13 22-05-2016 15:57
SSB Weather info VirtualVagabond General Sailing Forum 8 15-01-2016 08:40
Optimum SSB/satphone combo setup tulsag Marine Electronics 33 30-04-2012 07:19
MaxSea Weather Routing Revelations Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources 12 10-10-2011 01:08
Sea Myths and Sayings Mariners The Sailor's Confessional 5 29-09-2011 13:51


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.