Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 08:44   #736

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Weather Routing

^
Thanks for that heads up! The polars that I received months ago were defined up to 22 kts. No data above that wind speed was available at that time. I had expanded these up to 36 kts using extrapolation and common sense, but I forgot to point to the new polars file . So my bad, OpenCPN weather plugin routed like a spear towards the Cape with the valid polar file . Thanks for the quick help and have a nice day!
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 11:51   #737

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean
Perhaps there could be a message for that?

Would you mind describing what the polar requirements are (format) and what variations are accepted?
I would like to write this up more completely for the wiki.
Then I am goung to ask ptulp to support that with the polars_pi and perhaps get dave coweld to support it.
By the way, the Polar_pi from ptulp and also save xoweld is getting much better and more flexible, but it really should work with weather routing_pi. Csv polar files but does not!
Perhaps you can hekp us with that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:37   #738

Sean I noticed you had made some changes so I tried to compile for Windows and got the following:

Code:
Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj" (default target) (4) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\SettingsDialog.cpp(100): warning C4800: 'long' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning) [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]

"C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj" (default target) (4) ->
(ClCompile target) ->
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(663): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'IsoChron' [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(663): error C2065: 'last' : undeclared identifier
[C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(663): error C2275: 'IsoChron' : illegal use of this type as an expression [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(664): error C2065: 'last' : undeclared identifier
[C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(664): error C2227: left of '->routes' must point to class/struct/union/generic type [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(664): error C2228: left of '.begin' must have class/struct/union [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(664): error C2065: 'last' : undeclared identifier
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(664): error C2227: left of '->routes' must point to class/struct/union/generic type [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]
  ..\src\RouteMapOverlay.cpp(664): error C2228: left of '.end' must have class/struct/union [C:\Users\Frederick\Documents\OpenCPN-Data\o-plugin\weather_routing_pi\build\weather_routing_pi.vcxproj]

1 Warning(s)
    9 Error(s)
Old 02-04-2015, 12:33   #739

Sean, that worked. Thank you for accomodating MSVC++ picky tastes.

OpenCPN Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass
4.0 PI Win Directory
weather_routing_pi-1.5001-ov4.0-win32.exe

Have tried it briefly. Was missing the right click weather_routing waypoint feature. Need more time to figure out why this is not working. Will test further later.
Old 15-04-2015, 21:32   #740

Sean a user inquired about joining two grib files awhile ago Wind + Current. And you wanted to know more. I just found my experiment files that work in Windows environment.

Two ways to join grib data (wind + current, for example):
1. Run two differently named grib_pi and load diff data-type gribs. Then run wx_route.
2. Join them using a routine within Grib_pi or possibly a separate Grib-Join plugin.

Sample merge routine. The merge.bat (take of the .txt) has this line.

copy WIND.grb /B + PRESS.grb + CAPE.grb + WAVES.grb Wind-Press-Cape-Waves.grb

Run merge.bat with in the same directory as all the files. You will end up with
Wind-Press-Cape-Waves.grb
and if you modify bat Wind-Press-Cape-Waves.grb

For more fun someone could modify merge.bat and add the Waves.grb

FS#984 : Data Support Display two grib files (Wind + Current) for effective WxRouting
FS#1708 : Ocean Surface Current Data - Support request, retrieval and use of
FS#1709 : Use ROTFS current and Ocean Surface Current Data Gribs in addtion to normal gribs.
FS#1710 : Data type - Ocean Currents
OSCAR project information: Earth and Space Research (ESR)

You know these, so I don't want to bore you. But with better realtime current data in grib files this is going to become readily possible. In fact Weather4d and Sailgrib is doing it I believe.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Merge.bat.txt (77 Bytes, 78 views)
File Type: doc WIND..grb.doc (13.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: doc PRESS.grb.doc (6.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: doc CAPE.grb.doc (5.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: doc Wind-Press-Cape.grb.doc (24.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: doc WAVES.grb.doc (19.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 29-04-2015, 18:28   #741

Sean,
I tried Weather_Routing tonight and after making new Weather Positions and new Routing it started working better. I note you have added more View Results etc. Very nice.

This routing kind of surprised me because I thought I was routing to England, but the plugin did a very long sail around Africa..using a 16 day grib first, in 12 hour blue isochrones, and then used climatology. Very nice plugin. Thank you. It works well.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather_Routing.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	101176  
Old 30-04-2015, 01:47   #742

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

How did it pass panama? should not be possible to reach the pacific that way.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 02:59   #743

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Just a quick one, there is an Android app called Sailgrib.

Home

It comes with current/tidal data for Europe. Which seems to be hard to get otherwise.
They just recently added that without extra charge.
Maybe they have a current source which could be used also in OpenCPN?

I use this in parallel with OpenCPN but would prefer to have that data in OpenCPN. Probably many others do too.

Apart from that, great work from all those OpenCPN wizkids! THANK YOU!
Old 30-04-2015, 03:42   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Just a quick one, there is an Android app called Sailgrib.

Home

It comes with current/tidal data for Europe. Which seems to be hard to get otherwise.
They just recently added that without extra charge.
I am looking on their site to try to find information about this data. Mostly we are interested in current data for weather routing, but in the future, tidal data can be used (navigating in areas possible during high tide)
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sailgrib.com
"We optimize the route calculating all the effects of the current on your boat as long as a current grib file is loaded."
Seems to suggest the data is from the grib file, but you are suggesting it is something else.

Quote:
I use this in parallel with OpenCPN but would prefer to have that data in OpenCPN. Probably many others do too.
Is the data more detailed for tide than what is in opencpn for tides? I lack an android device to try this. Maybe you can browse the filesystem and find the data files, or contact the author? How does this program compare to the weather routing plugin?
Old 30-04-2015, 04:07   #745

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi.

It loads tidal atlas data fro, all over Europe and asks at installation which data you want to load. Even without downloading a GRIB. So the data seems to be not from the GRIB.
It says:

New releases:
February 15, 2015 - SailGrib WR
- atlases of current for all European coasts
- tide calculation
- My Location and Now buttons

Basically I read it as it has the current data already, but if you have a GRIB it can use the data in the GRIB with it.
Not the other way around.

Normally the GRIBS I download do not have the option to have current data included ;-(

I'll see if I can find the data tonight. Whats your email?

Thanks & kind regards,

Fran
Old 30-04-2015, 11:30   #746

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Boat Hello Alexandra,

This post is certainly concerns the latest posts Franziska.

It is first that I speak of MyOcean website. MyOcean is a service set up by the European Community (EC). It aims to make available to the public free data concerning the seas and oceans around Europe.

http://www.myocean.eu/

All user data of this website, must put the data files freely available to the public.

Thus I was able to recover, on the website of a publisher of chart display software and meteorology, a grib file, constructed from data obtained from MyOcean website. I use plugin Grib of OpenCPN for display the information of this grib file.To understand the value of data which are accessible on MyOcean, see the pictures attached below.

(Just a "little" problem. In my opinion, the current amount arrows are directed towards the place whence the current.)

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-04-30_Current_1.png
Views:	189
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	101216   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-30_Current_2.png
Views:	190
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	101217  

Name:	2015-04-30_Current_3.png
Views:	201
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	101218  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:35   #747

Kind of the reverse isn't it? Very good developments. I had not noticed that in SailgribWR, but it is similar to what I was talking about earlier...

convert the Tidal currents into Grib and pipe it into Grib_pi.

Also the satellites are getting pretty sophisticated detecting currents (Bermuda race -Gulf stream eddys are a big interest in the race) so maybe there will be developed associated realtime grib products, and someday perhaps, current forecasts (?)
Old 30-04-2015, 18:40   #748

Quote:
How did it pass panama? should not be possible to reach the pacific that way.
Sean, It works fine. Route was New England to tip of Africa, passing by Panama Canal. Ended up below Madagascar in about 100+ days.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:15   #749

seriously there is something broken there, it shouldn't be able to pass panama, but maybe it's because you have a really low detail gshhs installed.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:39   #750

Dear Sean
I think you've been on other side of the world too long... Atlantic ocean to tip of Africa (not south america) then turn east and up a liitle, not involving panama canal or s. America.
If I misunderstand somrthing, please explain, dear pen pal friend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
paracelle, weather