In an attempt to get this plugin completed with the features as they now stand, it is time to rewrite the Tracker comments to express what should happen. (The plugin does not yet do all of this.) See FS#1117 : Files: Fix saving and loading Polar.csv and Boat_configuration.xml
1. There are three external file types that are used by the plugin.
Boat_configuration.xml <--Physical Boat Characteristics for VPP, -Multiple files of this type are permitted.
Polar.csv <--Boat Polar Diagram -Muliple files of this type are permitted.
WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml <--WR Positions and Configurations. -Single dedicated file is used.
2. The plugin is initialized internally upon startup to "Default settings" and creates the above three files in the proper location. Windows location- C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing The "Default settings" are functional and ready to "Compute" a Route
provided the Climatology plugin is installed, enabled and running, otherwise there will be warnings.
3. The plugin WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml file is initialized with 3 WP Positions in the left panel and in the right panel 3 default "Configurations" which have a beginning and end point with other boat, polar and calculation settings. These routes are ready to "compute" and will create isochrones and an optimized Route
when the "Configuration" is highlighted and the "Compute" Button is hit.
4. There is a "Default Settings" button to reconfigure the plugin back to original settings, in case a new user is having difficulty and has misconfigured the plugin.
When this button is hit the three files above are rewritten to the original default configuration. There will be a prompt "This will rewrite the files boat_configuration.xml, polar.csv and WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml to be original default settings and may overwrite your data. Yes. No? At no other time will the settings in files be set back to "default values" unless one of the files is deleted or removed, in which case there will be a prompt "XXXX.xxx File is missing, the plugin will now create a new default file called [one of the three main files above]. Continue or Close Plugin"
5. Polar.csv file operation - When a user "Saves" or "Saves as" with a new file name a Polar.csv type file, only Polar.csv files are shown in the correct directory, and the prompts all indicate that it is a "Polar.CSV" file. When a user loads a Polar.csv file the prompt all indicate "Load polar.csv" and only polar.csv files are shown. For Windows the file open/save directory is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing. When no polar.csv file is found, or the file is misformed, there will be a prompt to create a new default file as in #4 above, or to correct the problems if possible. - Also the USER would like to know what the required Polar.csv file format is and if it is intended to conform to any other Boat Polar Diagram format? The USER is particularly interested in what are the requirements of the format so that their boat polars can be converted.
6. Boat_Configuration.xml file operation - When a user "Saves" or "Save as" with a new file name a "Boat_configuration.xml" file, only boat_configuration.xml files are shown (not WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml)in the correct directory, and the promps all indicate that it is a "Boat_Configuration.xml" file. Similar when a "Boat_Configuration..xml" file is loaded (also WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml should not show in the file list of options to load). For Windows the file open/save directory is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing. When no boat_configuration.xml file is found, or the file is misformed, there will be a prompt to create a new default file as in #4 above.
7. WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml file is not normally manually saved and loaded, this occurs automatically with use of the plugin. The plugin only permits use of a single
xml file named WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml for storage
of this data. Therefore loading and saving is simpler. For Windows the file open/save directory is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing. When no WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml file is found, or the file is misformed, there will be a prompt to create a new default file as in #4 above.
Please note the comments at the bottom of this Tracker Link
and add your own details and observations to confirm or clarify the problems found. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
We need to get the default settings and file read and write fixed for this plugin. Then we need to confirm that it works as intended. We need your help with user feedback. We would like to release this plugin.