Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 07:33   #586

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

In an attempt to get this plugin completed with the features as they now stand, it is time to rewrite the Tracker comments to express what should happen. (The plugin does not yet do all of this.) See FS#1117 : Files: Fix saving and loading Polar.csv and Boat_configuration.xml

1. There are three external file types that are used by the plugin.
Boat_configuration.xml <--Physical Boat Characteristics for VPP, -Multiple files of this type are permitted.
Polar.csv <--Boat Polar Diagram -Muliple files of this type are permitted.
WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml <--WR Positions and Configurations. -Single dedicated file is used.

2. The plugin is initialized internally upon startup to "Default settings" and creates the above three files in the proper location. Windows location- C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing The "Default settings" are functional and ready to "Compute" a Route provided the Climatology plugin is installed, enabled and running, otherwise there will be warnings.

3. The plugin WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml file is initialized with 3 WP Positions in the left panel and in the right panel 3 default "Configurations" which have a beginning and end point with other boat, polar and calculation settings. These routes are ready to "compute" and will create isochrones and an optimized Route when the "Configuration" is highlighted and the "Compute" Button is hit.

4. There is a "Default Settings" button to reconfigure the plugin back to original settings, in case a new user is having difficulty and has misconfigured the plugin.
When this button is hit the three files above are rewritten to the original default configuration. There will be a prompt "This will rewrite the files boat_configuration.xml, polar.csv and WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml to be original default settings and may overwrite your data. Yes. No? At no other time will the settings in files be set back to "default values" unless one of the files is deleted or removed, in which case there will be a prompt "XXXX.xxx File is missing, the plugin will now create a new default file called [one of the three main files above]. Continue or Close Plugin"

5. Polar.csv file operation - When a user "Saves" or "Saves as" with a new file name a Polar.csv type file, only Polar.csv files are shown in the correct directory, and the prompts all indicate that it is a "Polar.CSV" file. When a user loads a Polar.csv file the prompt all indicate "Load polar.csv" and only polar.csv files are shown. For Windows the file open/save directory is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing. When no polar.csv file is found, or the file is misformed, there will be a prompt to create a new default file as in #4 above, or to correct the problems if possible. - Also the USER would like to know what the required Polar.csv file format is and if it is intended to conform to any other Boat Polar Diagram format? The USER is particularly interested in what are the requirements of the format so that their boat polars can be converted.

6. Boat_Configuration.xml file operation - When a user "Saves" or "Save as" with a new file name a "Boat_configuration.xml" file, only boat_configuration.xml files are shown (not WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml)in the correct directory, and the promps all indicate that it is a "Boat_Configuration.xml" file. Similar when a "Boat_Configuration..xml" file is loaded (also WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml should not show in the file list of options to load). For Windows the file open/save directory is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing. When no boat_configuration.xml file is found, or the file is misformed, there will be a prompt to create a new default file as in #4 above.

7. WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml file is not normally manually saved and loaded, this occurs automatically with use of the plugin. The plugin only permits use of a single xml file named WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml for storage of this data. Therefore loading and saving is simpler. For Windows the file open/save directory is C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing. When no WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml file is found, or the file is misformed, there will be a prompt to create a new default file as in #4 above.

======
Please note the comments at the bottom of this Tracker Link
http://willkamp.com/opencpn/flyspray...s&task_id=1117
and add your own details and observations to confirm or clarify the problems found. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

We need to get the default settings and file read and write fixed for this plugin. Then we need to confirm that it works as intended. We need your help with user feedback. We would like to release this plugin.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08   #587

I have closed FS#1118 - Boat -Export of Polars does not seem to work, tws not transfering nobody else had comments.

Also I have edited and changed priority on several other tasks.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:46   #588

Suggested Default records for Startup and operation for New Users.
-------------------------------
"Default Settings" DATA - Initialization data which is stored in an internal record as constants. This data is used to create three files on the fly when the plugin is started, if these files do not exist in
the default directory:
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing (for windows)

The three files created are:
WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml
- with 3 WR Positions, 3 Configurations

Boat_Configuration.xml
- Boat physical data

Boat_Polar.csv
- Boat Polar Data for sailing performance.

Easy Results the first time

When Climatology is installed and enabled, and these files are created, the plugin should be "ready to run" with no further adjustment, by highlighting a "Configuration" in the right panel and pushing the "Compute" button the Route will be created.

Restore Default Settings
If the user tests and messes up the files, there is a Button to "Restore Default Settings" which prompts the user "Do you wish to reset the WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml, Boat_Configuration.xml and Boat_polar.csv files to the original installed state? This may overwrite your changes. Yes, No?" If the user answers "Yes" the plugin uses the internal record to overwrite the three files and reset them. - Perhaps the user should be prompted separately for each file?

(Some of the minor settings below could be changed to illustrate the nuances to new users.)

DEFAULT SETTINGS in the plugin internal record(Please see the attached Word.doc file)

Additionally, the other files are attached. Take the .doc off please.
WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml
Boat_Configuration.xml
Boat_Polar.csv
Alexandra_Configuration.csv -sample boat_configuration file
Alexandra_Polar.csv -sample boat_polar file
You can download these files and install in your C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing directory and test them for user ease of use. Please write your comments here.

Below are the 3 routes in a triangle with 48hr, 36hr, 24hr intervals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-08-12 15.42.05.png
Views:	225
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	86495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-08-12 15.42.09.png
Views:	235
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	86496  

Name:	Screenshot 2014-08-12 15.42.14.png
Views:	254
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	86497  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Suggested Default records for Startup.doc (53.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: doc WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml.doc (3.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: doc Boat_Configuration.XML.doc (449 Bytes, 105 views)
File Type: doc Alexandra_Configuration.XML.doc (864 Bytes, 109 views)
File Type: doc Alexandra_Polar.CSV.doc (7.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 24-08-2014, 10:07   #589

Boat: MC-Tec, Akilaria 950

Wow !
I just downloaded the latest sources, and compiled them.

I converted my own polar file so it is accepted now, and did a short
routing test "around 2 corners" ( to check the avoiding land functionality).

Looks VERY promising now, good job

And it does save beam and the other boat parameters

The only thing I found for now : If you restart O, do a new Configuration
and click the Edit-boat-configuration button (see screenshot), it comes up with an error message that the boat polar failed to open.
You can open the sailplan tab and load the polar from .csv again, and the polar loads OK.

Do you search the polar file in the wrong spot ?
Maybe adding the full path/filename to the error message mentioned above would help to find the bug ...
Like "Boat polar C:\...\blablabla.csv failed to open. Line 0"

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot1.gif
Views:	216
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	87011  
tom_BigSpeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 06:23   #590

See for update to the plugin:
Sean Depagnier's Plugins - Page 11 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Please test and advise!
Old 25-08-2014, 20:12   #591

Sean advises that the plugin has been updated to, find it in Opencpn File Thingie

weather_routing_pi-1.1-ov3.3.1824-h-win32.exe
Old 26-08-2014, 19:22   #592

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I believe I fixed the problems with loading files and missing files.

I will try to make loading different polar files work. Is there anything else which is not working right before this plugin can finally be released?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 22:47   #593

I can't get it to work when using the polar :-(. When I do the routing based on boat data it works, but using polar data it fails very soon in the calculation. If you would try with the data for Harriet and disable climate plugin during the test?

I tried with some grib data and a leg that should take 10-15 hours, and the plugin failed calculating after some 5 hours of advancement. The grib contains 48h so thats not the problem.

I use the polar that you "cleaned" for me a month ago.

Cheers,
Lulle

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
seglar-lulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 05:16   #594

Dear Lullle,

Thank you for trying the new plugin. May I suggest something for you to do to start the testing?
1. Go to the Opencpn Directory EG: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.1931
2. Click the uninstall.exe for the Weatherrouting plugin.
3. Go to the data directory for weather_routing EG: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing
4. Delete all the files or move them to a temporary folder. You could move them to My Documents for example.
5. Download the most recent version of weather_routing_pi.exe from Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser, rgpass you will find it in the 3.3.1931 PI Win folder and install.
6. Then download the files in Post #588 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1604434
and put them in the data directory for weather_routing EG: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing.
WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml.doc
Boat_Configuration.XML.doc
Alexandra_Configuration.XML.doc
Alexandra_Polar.CSV.doc
Take the doc off of course.
7. Then try doing a routing. Once that is working as expected, add your polar file and try that. You should be able to Compute the three routes shown in the post.
----

Meanwhile I will try to check your polar when I have a chance, but I want to be sure the plugin works first, so let me know please.

Thanks
Rick
Old 27-08-2014, 10:21   #595

Boat: MC-Tec, Akilaria 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_BigSpeedy View Post
Wow !

The only thing I found for now : If you restart O, do a new Configuration
and click the Edit-boat-configuration button (see screenshot), it comes up with an error message that the boat polar failed to open.
You can open the sailplan tab and load the polar from .csv again, and the polar loads OK.

Thomas
Hi Sean,
the bug is fixed.

I'll go sailing next weekend and will play a bit.

Thomas
tom_BigSpeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 19:26   #596

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglar-lulle View Post
I can't get it to work when using the polar :-(. When I do the routing based on boat data it works, but using polar data it fails very soon in the calculation. If you would try with the data for Harriet and disable climate plugin during the test?

I tried with some grib data and a leg that should take 10-15 hours, and the plugin failed calculating after some 5 hours of advancement. The grib contains 48h so thats not the problem.

I use the polar that you "cleaned" for me a month ago.

Cheers,
Lulle

To avoid confusion (since I dont know which polar files was cleaned a month ago), it would really help if you can post the polar file and grib file you have used. Also posting the configuration and boat xml files would help. Once I can reproduce your problem I can usually fix it quickly.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 03:25   #597

I followed Ricks suggestions and uninstalled, deleted all files and then installed. Then it works with Harriets polar! Great! !

One thing I wonder though. The ETA in the sail plan - what does it stand for?

Lulle

seglar-lulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:33   #598

Quote:
I followed Ricks suggestions and uninstalled, deleted all files and then installed. Then it works with Harriets polar! Great! !

One thing I wonder though. The ETA in the sail plan - what does it stand for?

Lulle
Lulle, that is very helpful information. I also found that a completely "clean" install without any secondary files in C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing
is essential to get have the plugin work properly when upgrading to a new version.

Therefore, when you have already installed an earlier version of the plugin, users should always use the uninstall_weather_routing.exe program and then go into
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing and delete or move those files, and make sure the plugin works first.

Then copy the essential files like polars back to the C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing directory and try them.....

You did it perfectly. Thank you!
For others who are having troubles, I suggest following the POST #594 above
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1614866
Old 29-08-2014, 11:14   #599

Opencpn Beta File Thingie has been updated with
weather_routing_pi-1.1-ov3.3.1824-i-win32.exe
Sean has made this version to support Patrick Terceilin's Polauto polar file format.
I have not tested it yet but will tonight.. Please try some files from Polauto too.
Thanks.

The earlier version has been moved into "Earlier Versions" Directory.
Old 29-08-2014, 17:58   #600

I have tested several Polauto Polar Files and the plugin works with these.

Tags
paracelle, weather