Good points Sean. How about using wave period seconds? and relate it somehow to the WL of the boat
Sean can you explain to us under
Weather_routing_pi > Configuration > Boat
what the following items are or do?
1. VMG tab - Optimize tacking button - I don't get it.
tab under Drag
Frictional says 17 (what are the units and range? how/when should we use this?
Wake says 95 (what are the units and range? How/when should we use this?
"Value of 0 means no wake and 100 is heaviest displacement" also mention of waves
The "Recompute" button seems to do both Friction and Wake. What is happening when you hit recompute? Is it using displacement
and WL? Maybe I did not do something here right.
3. Sail Plan we have "Initial Plan" then eta 0.250 with max point angle 15. There is an Eta slider. How is that useful? I think I am missing something.
I am not quite sure what this all does. can you explain a little?
4. Statistics is pretty self explanatory, but I have keep resetting the boat width to 11 and it keeps changing it back to 8'! Why isn't this saved in the boat.xml file?
5. Plot Details I see you have two slots for Sign wave ht and Wave Period that are greyed. Are those for something you have planned?
On this Tab there is an Open which I don't think people understand is for the "Boat.xml" file. Also sometimes they don't have it in the directory as needed and get confused about picking open and finding the Boat.xml or making one by hitting Save. Is there some way to make this a little self explanatory?
6. Polar File Tab - When the Filename shows <computed> the program is doing VPP for the polar and making one internally. When the Filename shows <Shannon38-opencpn-Ted.csv> for example then it is reading a file.
- I have a difficult time knowing when the other settings in the various tabs are being used by the program when a polar file is loaded.
- If I change the Wind
speed steep to 4 or 5 and I have the polar file set with 6 knot
increments does that screw something up? What does it do?
--Same thing for the Wind
degree step? Say I have things in the Polar file recorded every 15 degrees and I set this on 45. what happens?
--Lastly there is an "Open" and "Save" which are to Open and Load a "Boat.csv" polar file, or to "Save" to a <Boat>.csv polar file. Is there some way to make this more intuitive? Also I think users are not getting their boat.xml and boat.csv in the expected directories and they do not know that have to point the this area of the plugin to a file. ---What happens when these files do not exist? Does it lock up and bomb? Or does it simply ask the user to browse to the <boat>.xml file or the <boat>.csv Polar file, while giving some suggestions? --Might be helpful.
Thanks for making such a great full depth
plugin. Maybe if I understand some of these items a little better, I'll get better results.