Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 06:39   #1636

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Weather Routing

Rick,

I think he wants to specify how the comfort factor colors are computed differently for each boat and also depending on sea state.

This is interesting, but first we need to do something about actual boat performance depending on sea state.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 16:27   #1637

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Rick,

I think he wants to specify how the comfort factor colors are computed differently for each boat and also depending on sea state.

This is interesting, but first we need to do something about actual boat performance depending on sea state.

Yes, you are probably right. Perhaps first use a simple scale that adjusts all the parameters linearly, like dave did for ship scale, chart object scale factor and user interface scale factor.

I agree about boat performance dependent on sea state! It is a huge factor.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:12   #1638

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello All,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
weather_routing_pi Improvement
Did-g added an toggled eye to the route list and fixed some route position issues.

It's been a while since I noticed that the version reported here does not work properly with windows 10.
The big button that makes it possible to display the window of WR in large or reduced version does not work obviously at the first opening.
Indeed, it is necessary to enlarge the window manually to obtain the complete window. But this enlargement can only be done if the button has been placed in previously enlarged window position.

This detail certainly annoys all new users.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35   #1639

Gille, I have no such problem in Ov4.8.6, have you reverted back from 4.99 and are trying to use the opencpn.ini from 4.99. That will not work.
I suggest you delete the ini file and restart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello All,

It's been a while since I noticed that the version reported here does not work properly with windows 10.
The big button that makes it possible to display the window of WR in large or reduced version does not work obviously at the first opening.
Indeed, it is necessary to enlarge the window manually to obtain the complete window. But this enlargement can only be done if the button has been placed in previously enlarged window position.

This detail certainly annoys all new users.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05   #1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gille, I have no such problem in Ov4.8.6, have you reverted back from 4.99 and are trying to use the opencpn.ini from 4.99. That will not work.
I suggest you delete the ini file and restart.
So I explainmore.

To be certain of what I say, I have removed all versions of OpenCPN from my Windows 10 PC. And I cleaned everything with CCleaner.

Then I downloaded OpenCPN 4.8.8 and installed only O 4.8.8. Start up and correct operation. Verification with VDR and Grib plugins. All is Ok.

I downloaded and installed Climatology and Wheater-routing from the opencpn.org website. I launched Climatology then Weather-routing.

When you start Weather-routing for the first time, you get the reduced Wheater-routing window. This is the first screenshot attached. And it is impossible to enlarge this window manually (NB: This can be considered normal at this stage).
If we click on the gray button, we get the other screenshot. And we observe that the window has not grown. But, an informed user can enlarge it manually and display all the columns of the WR window. Still, he must think of doing it.

I therefore persist and sign, for a novice user, or an informed user but who clicks once more on the gray button before attempting to enlarge the window manually, the use of WR is difficult and even impossible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-11 19_42_45-OpenCPN 4.8.8.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	180457   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-11 19_42_32-OpenCPN 4.8.8.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	180458  

Old 12-11-2018, 15:45   #1641

Gilletarom, Thank you. I recall this happening with weatherfax. I think we need to make an Issue in github so hopefully it gets fixed soon. I will reference your posts as they are very clear. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54   #1642

Boat: Fora Marine, RM1050, 10.5m

Hi,
I don't know if is the right place.
I'm just download weather-routing.

I succeed to done a route but when I want to save it the opencpn crash.
My configuration :
Opencpn 4.8.8
weatherrouting 1.10
Climatology 1.2
Grib 4.1
I put the file of the crash.

I really find that plug useful, I hope I got a solution

Regards.
Jean-Luc Sv Tranquila
tranquila87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04   #1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquila87 View Post
Hi,
I don't know if is the right place.
I'm just download weather-routing.

I succeed to done a route but when I want to save it the opencpn crash.
My configuration :
Opencpn 4.8.8
weatherrouting 1.10
Climatology 1.2
Grib 4.1
I put the file of the crash.

I really find that plug useful, I hope I got a solution

Regards.
Jean-Luc Sv Tranquila
You can find a newer version v1.12 here:
https://github.com/ptulp/weather_routing_pi/releases

I think that solves the crash problem.

Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12   #1644

Hi Peter,
Thanks you, i will try later on the boat.
Regards.
Jean-luc Sv Tranquila
Old 01-12-2018, 17:53   #1645

There is a good discussion going on about possible changes to Weather_routing.
Please read and chime in.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2772460
Old 04-12-2018, 03:43   #1646

Hello Sean, Dave, Did-g,

This is a task :
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2437

THis task is for Dave, that work on OCPN. But, it seem to me that also important that Sean (and Did-g) work about this.

I repeat here what I said in this task :

Here is a new thread about OCPN (french forum).
https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/forums/e...rt-trace-route

In the first post, I note this:
"
Problème : les vitesses dans la route ne sont pas du tout celles de ma trace que je voudrais récupérer, elles sont uniformes basées sur "vitesse prévue" indiqué au dessus.
Comment les récupérer ?
"

Here translated :
"
Problem: the speeds in the route are not at all those of my track that I would like to recover, they are uniform based on "expected speed" indicated above.
How to recover them?
"

In OCPN, the "Track ---> route" command, located in the track manager, which transforms a track into a route, loses the speed data contained in the track.

And this is a problem that I already raised a long time ago, several years .... In vain .... The WR plugin exports tracks and not routes.

This makes the use of this plugin rather unconvincing. I know something because I still experimented last summer with the versions of Didier and that of the last update of the forum.

Is it possible that to all of you, since this concerns both WR and OCPN, you are solving this problem for OCPN version 5.0?

----

and I add this comment :

WR manufactures weather-tracks. So :
- Each weather-track can be exported to OCPN. OCPN then has a track that can be displayed by OCPN.
- The user needs a route to navigate either by barring himself or by leaving the autopilot barred.

The user, using the route and track manager, must currently use the command "Track ---> Route" to transform the track recorded into OCPN in a route.

But, a large part of the data made by WR are losted during this transformation of the track in route.

Even as the user needs it. And in particular, we need almost to know:
- The speed annouced by WR on a route segment,
- The estimated time of arrival by WR from this segment of the route (or, same, time of departure to the init of this segment)
- The estimated time of arrival by WR at the end of this segment of route.

This also requires that when a route is activated in OCPN, these data are displayed by OCPN. Which is not the case now. If this data are posted by OCPN, the user could compare with the reality
Old 04-12-2018, 13:08   #1647

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Sean, Dave, Did-g,

Here is a new thread about OCPN (french forum).
https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/forums/e...rt-trace-route

In the first post, I note this:
"
Problème : les vitesses dans la route ne sont pas du tout celles de ma trace que je voudrais récupérer, elles sont uniformes basées sur "vitesse prévue" indiqué au dessus.
Comment les récupérer ?
"

Here translated :
"
Problem: the speeds in the route are not at all those of my track that I would like to recover, they are uniform based on "expected speed" indicated above.
How to recover them?
"

In OCPN, the "Track ---> route" command, located in the track manager, which transforms a track into a route, loses the speed data contained in the track.

And this is a problem that I already raised a long time ago, several years .... In vain .... The WR plugin exports tracks and not routes.
This is exactly why the plugin exports to tracks not routes. Because if it were a route, much data would be lost, especially the actual speed.

So, since it is possible to convert a track into a route already I didn't see this a a big problem, but I do realize that it would be nicer to be a route with all of the computed data.
Quote:

This makes the use of this plugin rather unconvincing. I know something because I still experimented last summer with the versions of Didier and that of the last update of the forum.

Is it possible that to all of you, since this concerns both WR and OCPN, you are solving this problem for OCPN version 5.0?
I don't think there is a plan to solve it yet, but good discussion... I have a ridiculous amount of other projects this is low priority and I don't feel motivated.

I did just use weather routing the first time in a serious way yesterday for my next passage (leaving tomorrow) Before this, I used it only for a curiosity, and developed it because there were no open source alternatives (besides qtvlm which is no longer open)
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29   #1648

Boat: Najad 34

All..
I've a question from a user:

On his Mac no menus are shown in Weather routing. Any know problem using the plugin on a Mac?
Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:26   #1649

Hi,
I got the menu.
Take place instead of Opencpn menu.

Little be disturbing, will be better on the window on the plugin... but I don't made programming anymore

regards
Old 16-01-2019, 06:15   #1650

Thanks for the great tool!
I have been planning a trip to the UK and have run into a question about how the weather routing works. Even though I have installed the high resolution GSHHG charts the route created goes right through some rocks and a lighthouse. The "detect land" box is checked and the distance from land is set to 3NM.
Does anyone have an idea about how this should be handled?
moosacreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather