Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 07:06   #16

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Watchdog window does not display

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Gerhard,
I have looked at the two ini files and compared them. The only thing relevant to this is the position of the dialog which you identified earlier. I tried under windows 10 with the settings in the old ini file and see the flash as the watchdog dialog is displayed and then dissapears. I then set the dialog position to 20, 20 in the ini file after stopping OCPN, then restarted and clicked on the watchdog icon and the dialog appeared in the top left corner of the screen. I do not know how the x position got set to -5320 in the old ini, but that is definitely the issue.

A useful test would be to put back the old ini file, change the Watchdog settings to:
Code:
[Settings/Watchdog]
DialogPosX=20
DialogPosY=20
in the ini file when OCPN is not running then start it up again and click on the watchdog icon and see if the dialog box appears. Under Ubuntu the dialog always displays even if you have a position off of the screen.

I do not deliver beta versions to the public, they are made available by myself and others for beta testing and available either from github or Ricks test pages. The versions available from the download pages are not beta versions, they are release versions.

I have not built hard dependencies. However, if you wish to use boundaries with alarms you will need to use both Watchdog and Draw and they work together. If you have Watchdog but not Draw then any boundary alarm set will never fire as there will be no information provided back, this is handled. Draw does not know about Watchdog, so there is no dependency there. Watchdog does get AIS information and this is needed for the AIS alarms, but this is pushed to all plugins and the AIS mainline code knows nothing about Watchdog. It is possible to use a less loosely coupled communication using the ODAPI, requested by Sean, to make processing faster. But loose coupling is used to activate the API, so if Draw is not new enough the API will not be called.

Jon
You really should check your code first and test it yourself before any publication. When things happens to the users like this there is for sure something wrong even if you don't want to hear that. You should see for yourself e.g. when a logfile is flooded with warnings even when they are harmless. Same thing with window coordinates out of a visible screen. It should not be allowed to store such wrong coordinates. Check your code.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:38   #17

Boat: Tartan 37C

I should add that sometimes I use OCPN with a second monitor. My guess this is where the invalid screen coordinate came from as I was having the issue without the second monitor connected.

Thanks
Kevin
sailingjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:43   #18

Boat: Richter 42

Hi Kevin,
I have created a 'Release' version of OD 1.2.2 which is available from github here:
https://github.com/jongough/ocpn_dra...ses/tag/v1.2.2

This version has the fix in for the user icons that cause the messages in the OCPN log. I have tested it under Win 10 with OCPN 4.4.0 and it works OK. Currently the active development/beta version is 1.3.18 which will become 1.4.x when it has finished testing.

Regards
Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:45   #19

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjazz View Post
I should add that sometimes I use OCPN with a second monitor. My guess this is where the invalid screen coordinate came from as I was having the issue without the second monitor connected.

Thanks
Kevin
An interesting detail. So the developer knows where to start his checks.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:49   #20

Gerhard,
I assume you think I generate junk code and throw it at unsuspecting end users. I can assure you that I do extensive testing before releasing a beta version, however, with complex plugins the way that users interact with it can show up issues, i.e. building boundaries clockwise when I do it anti-clockwise (I now test for both directions). Also, different versions of OCPN can cause issues, i.e. OCPN 4.4.0 works OK, OCPN 4.5.0 does not (but it is a beta). Also, using plugins on newer versions can identify new issues, i.e. using OCPN 4.5.0 when the plugin was developed against OCPN 4.2.0. Fixes are released as soon as possible after the issue is identified.

I want to hear about problems, I just don't like being told I deliver poor quality, buggy, untested plugins or updates. Building some of these plugins is complex and it takes many different users on different platforms with different outlooks and different languages to identify the problems. I did provide a fix for the log issue within a day back in July, however, it has not made it through to the version available for download. My systems are not really good enough to generate the 'release' versions as you need 'old' versions of wxWidgets, etc. So there are special 'build' areas run by others that do this.

I am not the owner of Watchdog, but I do contribute to it to allow my plugin to be used for alarms, which was a user request. I do fix issues if I can in the watchdog plugin, but windows 10 is a 'special' version of windows and runs REALLY slowly for me and seems to update itself all the time causing issues for other plugins, such as the s63 plugin, as the 'hardware' appears to change with each update.

Please be constructive in your comments and help by testing, writing documentation, building plugins on other platforms, i.e OS/X, or contribute code to help improve the quality or capability of OCPN.

Thanks
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
You really should check your code first and test it yourself before any publication. When things happens to the users like this there is for sure something wrong even if you don't want to hear that. You should see for yourself e.g. when a logfile is flooded with warnings even when they are harmless. Same thing with window coordinates out of a visible screen. It should not be allowed to store such wrong coordinates. Check your code.

Gerhard
Old 01-01-2017, 13:57   #21

Hi Kevin,
Did you swap monitor 'locations', i.e. switch them left and right (or did a windows update do this). It is interesting that the X coordinate was wrong but the Y seemed OK. However, unless you have REALLY wide screens having a negative number like -5320 is rather strange.

If it happens again please let us know, but can you include details about what happened since the last time it ran OK, i.e. windows update, new monitor/changed monitor setting, new version of any OCPN component, a crash of windows or OCPN, etc.? This may help narrow down what happened so we try to fix the issue.

Thanks
Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjazz View Post

Thanks
Kevin
Old 01-01-2017, 14:05   #22

Quote:
Hi Kevin,
I have created a 'Release' version of OD 1.2.2 which is available from github here:
https://github.com/jongough/ocpn_dra...ses/tag/v1.2.2

This version has the fix in for the user icons that cause the messages in the OCPN log. I have tested it under Win 10 with OCPN 4.4.0 and it works OK. Currently the active development/beta version is 1.3.18 which will become 1.4.x when it has finished testing.

Regards
Jon
Jon

I loaded the beta and and the errors have gone away. I'll try to see if I still get the problem after using the second screen.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 01-01-2017, 14:12   #23

Quote:
Hi Kevin,
Did you swap monitor 'locations', i.e. switch them left and right (or did a windows update do this). It is interesting that the X coordinate was wrong but the Y seemed OK. However, unless you have REALLY wide screens having a negative number like -5320 is rather strange.

If it happens again please let us know, but can you include details about what happened since the last time it ran OK, i.e. windows update, new monitor/changed monitor setting, new version of any OCPN component, a crash of windows or OCPN, etc.? This may help narrow down what happened so we try to fix the issue.

Thanks
Jon
Jon

I always use the second monitor in the same configuration and have not changed in a long time. I think there was a windows update a couple of days ago. But not sure it was before or after the problem started. I will try to watch for changes if I see the problem again. I know this is not much help.

Kevin

Tags
wind