Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 15:53   #196

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Watchdog Plugin

Rick,
I don't think you should do that unless you want to create a fresh directory structure (I have to do it sometimes as I seem to trash mine doing rebasing!). The current build process is a little bit hit and miss for language stuff, I don't know why and as I am a complete newbe I have no idea where to look.

I would like someone who knows how this stuff is supposed to work to give advice on the build process for language files. I would also like a simpler method of getting translations through crowdin. At the moment it is a bit reactive and only a couple of people can give assistance. There seems to be a problem with POT files being out of date and mismatches between git and crowdin, but.....

What are your feelings towards adding text to dialogs to warn users of impending doom if they don't know what they are doing? I am changing my boundary dialogs to try and inform the users, but I feel that the interactions are too complex for simplistic descriptions.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Jon,
I have removed the other versions of WatchDog and uploaded your
watchdog_pi-1.9039-win32

Should I just delete my local and git clone? Would that take care of any problems?
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 15:56   #197

Hi,
There is now patch 1.9.040 which has some information text on the boundary alarm dialog to inform the users that these alarms only sound when you are approaching from outside the boundary or are in the boundary. This, of course, has changed the POT file which will need to be uploaded to crowdin for translation, so there will be some more english text on the screen until that happens.

I have a windows install file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z5i3chd7z...win32.exe?dl=0

Jon
Old 26-02-2016, 16:29   #198

Boat: Phantom 19

Jon...
Honestly, I don't have resources to monitor every single commit in all the plugins and update Crowdin every time there is a change impacting the translations. I have just now assigned you the necessary role to upload the POT files there as needed, let me know if you need any assistance.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 21:50   #199

Pavel,
Thanks for doing that. I have updated the WD and OD pot files to the latest version. I have not been contacting you or Dave on purpose as the number of changes happening would have been too much. I was about to ask if you could upload the pot files, but no I can do it myself it will make it much easier, particularly when refining the translations and sorting out language issues.

Regards
Jon
Old 27-02-2016, 01:09   #200
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
I updated the nl.po file a little to match the text changes I made in alarm.cpp. I also recreated the mo files and rebuilt the windows install, now patch 1.0.039. I have tried with the Dutch language on my machine and it appears to work now. Can you try it out, ...
Jon,

I can confirm that the language issues are solved now.

Quote:
If it works can you please check the crowdin version of the nl.po file and make sure that it has all the translations in it (there is a new pot file as well but it has not yet been uploaded to crowdin).
I updated and checked the Dutch language file on CrowdIn.

But a new observation with regard to the time version of the boundary alarm: the alarm text keeps showing 'inside active boundary' even when the boundary is (made) inactive.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 01:22   #201

NAV,
Does the time alarm sound if the boundary is inactive? Or if, once the alarm has sounded you go to the OD boundary and make it inactive this change is not reflected in the message in WD? I am just trying to understand the sequence of events that leads to the incorrect information.

Jon
Old 27-02-2016, 02:05   #202
NAV

Quote:
Does the time alarm sound if the boundary is inactive? Or if, once the alarm has sounded you go to the OD boundary and make it inactive this change is not reflected in the message in WD? I am just trying to understand the sequence of events that leads to the incorrect information.
Jon,
The answer to both questions is yes.
Old 27-02-2016, 02:19   #203

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello JonGough,

See screen copy. Impossible to validate with "Ok" below.

A slider to the right would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-27-WatcDog_Slider.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	119654  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 02:27   #204
NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
See screen copy. Impossible to validate with "Ok" below. A slider to the right would be welcome.
On my PC (W10) the window size is ok. As mentioned earlier, the new warning text is not translated.

Gilletarom's issue seems to be caused by the length of the French strings for the row of the Anchor Alarm. A solution might be to add a line feed (\n) in the first 2 French strings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoundaryAlarmSettings.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	119657  
Old 27-02-2016, 02:46   #205

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I don't think Gilletarom has one of the rules correct. Inclusion alarm sounds if boat leaves a boundary with an external grid.
Is how it should read. (I think)
However the graphic is set by OD and the alarm selection us set within WD, so the user can actually do whatever they want to do. IE have an OD exclusive graphic but decide for whatever reason (but I probably would not do it) decide to set a WD alarm sound for Inclusive. Now the alarm sounds if the boat strays outside the grid and the boundary.

The rules Gille lists are not hard coded into the way the plugins interact! (Maybe sometime they will be, but not now as the plugin api would have to be changed. Would these recommendations of Gille's confuse users, if explaned?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 02:55   #206

Quote:
I don't think Gilletarom has one of the rules correct. Inclusion alarm sounds if boat leaves a boundary with an external grid.
I do not said this ... Perhaps my English is bad ...
I write this :
""All": Sounds as soon as the boat comes within each kind of boundary.
"Exclusion": Sounds if boat comes within a boundary with internal grid
"Inclusion" : Sounds if boat comes within a boundary with external grid
"Nothing": Sounds if boat comes within a boundary without gridlines.
"

In each case, if the alarm sound , then the boat come inside. And this regardless of how it is squared.

Quote:
Is how it should read. (I think)
However the graphic is set by OD and the alarm selection us set within WD, so the user can actually do whatever they want to do. IE have an OD exclusive graphic but decide for whatever reason (but I probably would not do it) decide to set a WD alarm sound for Inclusive. Now the alarm sounds if the boat strays outside the grid and the boundary.

The rules Gille lists are not hard coded into the way the plugins interact! (Maybe sometime they will be, but not now as the plugin api would have to be changed. Would these recommendations of Gille's confuse users, if explaned?
Sorry my English .. I do not undestand well this.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 27-02-2016, 03:21   #207

Gilletarom. My apology if the plugin actually works the way you describe. I assumed that the WD inclusion alarm would work to Keep the boat in the pen as you do sheep or cows.
If it does not work this way, what is the point of having an inclusion (or anchor) alarm and an exclusion alarm that do the same thing - IE just keep the boat out of the pen?
Old 27-02-2016, 03:30   #208

Gille, what I am suggesting in the lower part of th posting, is that OD exclusive graphic grid outside does not RESTRICT the WD sound alarm to be only exclusive sounding. User is permitted to select all, nothing, or inclusive as well. Same applies to the other OD graphics (inclusive, exclusive, boundary or pen only). We can suggest logical ways for users to setup the graphics and alarms, but they are not enforced.
Old 27-02-2016, 05:17   #209
NAV

Quote:
Gilletarom. My apology if the plugin actually works the way you describe. I assumed that the WD inclusion alarm would work to Keep the boat in the pen as you do sheep or cows.
If it does not work this way, what is the point of having an inclusion (or anchor) alarm and an exclusion alarm that do the same thing - IE just keep the boat out of the pen?
Rick,

As Jon pointed out earlier, first of all we should see OD and WD as separate plugins.

In OD, just a graphical, visual presentation may be added to areas, to indicate whether these are intended to avoid or to stay within (or whatever other meaning you want to give to those graphical indications).

In WD you can select whether (certain types of) alarms should react only for areas that are (in OD) flagged as to avoid, or to stay within, or for all areas. On top of that, you can indicate in WD whether this should be done only for areas labeled in OD as active, or inactive, or both.

The WD Boundary Alarm has 4 different types:
1. alarm when approaching an area from outside (based on distance)
2. alarm when approaching an area from outside (based on time)
3. alarm to indicate whether you are inside or outside an area (another type of anchor alarm)
4. alarm to indicate whether AIS objects are present in an area.

For each of these 4 types of WD alarms, in OD the area can be flagged to avoid, to stay within or to be a general area without additional graphical indication, and to be active or inactive. Not in all possible cases these parameters will effect WD.

Only for the first 2 types of WD alarms mentioned above, in WD the alarm can be flagged to react only for areas that are (in OD) labeled as to avoid, or to stay within, or for all areas. And again, on top of that, you can indicate in WD whether this should be done only for areas labeled in OD as active, or inactive, or both.

Beside the 4 types of Boundary Alarms mentioned above, WD has the following alarm functionality:
1. alarm when approaching coastlines (Landfall Alarm)
2. alarm when NMEA-data stream stops
3. deadman alarm
4. alarm related to distance to reference position (anchor alarm)
5. alarm when course over ground deviates more than set;
6. alarms when speed deviates more then set (two types: overspeed for more than set maximum, and underspeed for less than set minimum).

In total 11 different types of alarms.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:17   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
Gilletarom's issue seems to be caused by the length of the French strings for the row of the Anchor Alarm. A solution might be to add a line feed (\n) in the first 2 French strings.
I'm going to try.

But even if it works, do not forget that from one PC to another, depending on the quality of the screen, the screen size, etc ..., the certainty that the display is properly use can not be guaranteed.

I added a note. I had a 10.1-inch netbook. It is out of order and I use a much larger screen. I fear that the display of many OD or WD windows are not pleasing. Not sure myself, but I'm afraid. And this is an important issue of ergonomics.

And everything must be done to windows to be used, whatever the translations in all languages.

So provide is better than treating!

Tags
plug