Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 23:10   #1

Visual C++ build version can not see any map.

Hi, last few days, I used VC++ 2010 build the openCPN following the instruction, It said it works. I can run OpenCPN, but there is no background map at all. I can only see a light blue back ground. I try to import the S57 ENC charts, still the same.
Then I try download a version that is no need to build from source code, then everything works fine. I just don't know what I could be wrong when I build the code.
Can anybody help me?
xytxyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 01:04   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Visual C++ build version can not see any map.

In Options/Charts you see the chart directory where you placed the S57s?

Did you zoom in into the region the charts are for?

(Did you RTFM?)

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2015-01-26 a las 10.02.12.png
Views:	126
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	96081  
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 01:20   #3

yes, I did all of them. I zoom in and out and go to the specific coordinates. But I even can not see the background world map.
As I said, I used a downloaded full version OpenCPN, it works very well using the same S57 charts. But the version that I build from source code can not display the chart.
Old 26-01-2015, 01:24   #4
bcn

Kind of a "hack":
copy the ini file from your standard version and drop it into the directory of the build.

Btw.: did you try to force a charts database rebuild (option at the bottom)?

Hubert
Old 26-01-2015, 01:34   #5

Thank you for your reply. But can you tell me which ini file should I copy to the folder. And Which folder should I copy to? I only see one crashrpt_lang.ini ini file in the standard version, which I think it is not the one you want me to copy.

I tried the data base rebuild, it does not work.
Old 26-01-2015, 01:37   #6

By the way, when I open the version I build from VC++, and click Options -> Charts -> Vector Chat Display, All slots are empty, is this normal?
Old 26-01-2015, 01:59   #7
bcn

It's about the opencpn.ini (Help - the "?" button - will show where it resides). Under Win7 or 8 usually C:\ProgramData\opencpn

Regarding the issue of object categories on vector charts from the excellent manual:
Vector Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Quote:
Display Categories
If you are new to OpenCPN and vector charts please start with the "All" Display Category, to avoid risks and possible confusion.
and concerning the object categories or "slots" as you call them

Quote:
The first time you use a vectorchart with a brand new installation you will see nothing, if you use Mariners standard. Why?
The Mariners Standard list of Feature types is empty on a fresh install. When you load the first vector chart, the list is populated with the Features that are discovered on that particular vector chart.
Does that help?

Hubert
Old 26-01-2015, 05:59   #8

Boat: Phantom 19

xytxyt...
Look into your logfile. You will sure see a Windows version of
Code:
20:15:12 CST: Unable to initialize background world map. No GSHHS datafiles found in /usr/local/share/opencpn/gshhs/
20:15:12 CST: GSHHS World chart files have wrong version. Found 0, expected 210-220.
That's where you have to have the shoreline data
Also look for
Code:
20:15:11 CST: ChartSymbols loaded from /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
20:15:12 CST: Using s57data in /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data
That's where the S57 data are (in your case maybe not) loaded from

Happy development

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:38   #9

Thank you very much. This really helped me to solve my problem.
The reason is that I followed the sequence in the official website Compiling - Windows | Official OpenCPN Homepage. But in the Step 6 "Preparing to run the Debug build", they said "You must also copy the following folders from the data subfolder of the source tree to your build folder:", which I think just copy the files to the "build" folder, but actually I should copy to the "build/debug" folder. That is why I got all these problems.

Now I can see the background map and the S57 charts.

Thank you very much!
Old 26-01-2015, 17:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
xytxyt...
Look into your logfile. You will sure see a Windows version of
Code:
20:15:12 CST: Unable to initialize background world map. No GSHHS datafiles found in /usr/local/share/opencpn/gshhs/
20:15:12 CST: GSHHS World chart files have wrong version. Found 0, expected 210-220.
That's where you have to have the shoreline data
Also look for
Code:
20:15:11 CST: ChartSymbols loaded from /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
20:15:12 CST: Using s57data in /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data
That's where the S57 data are (in your case maybe not) loaded from

Happy development

Pavel
Thank you very much for you help. The problem have been solved.

The reason it happens is because in the official install and compile website "Step 6 – Running OpenCPN from the build directory (without installing)", they tell me to do this: "You must also copy the following folders from the data subfolder of the source tree to your build folder: gshhs, s57data, tcdata.", which I think the "your build folder" is the "build" folder but it should be "your build/debug folder", so I copied the three folders in the wrong folder that caused all the problem. Thanks.
Old 26-01-2015, 18:11   #11

Boat: Phantom 19

Well... Those "them" is me
And the reason for it is simple, on my reference builder, the log says this when running either debug or release build without installation:
Code:
8:05:24 PM: Background world map loaded from GSHHS datafiles found in: C:\work\OpenCPN\build\gshhs\
Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 02:38   #12
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xytxyt View Post
Thank you very much for you help. The problem have been solved.

The reason it happens is because in the official install and compile website "Step 6 – Running OpenCPN from the build directory (without installing)", they tell me to do this: "You must also copy the following folders from the data subfolder of the source tree to your build folder: gshhs, s57data, tcdata.", which I think the "your build folder" is the "build" folder but it should be "your build/debug folder", so I copied the three folders in the wrong folder that caused all the problem. Thanks.
As I stumbled as well over this paragraph two days ago installing the (release) build system on a Win8.1 I've modified the Wiki (6. Running Open CPN from the Build Directory) with the doubt if in the case of the Debug build the "uidata" folder has to be created in the "build" or in the "build/debug" directory.

Pavel, would you mind to have look?

Hubert

Hubert
Old 27-01-2015, 04:30   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

Actually you have to put the folders in 3 places to cover all cases. They have to be in both build\debug, build\release, and build. I believe this may be environment dependent so YMMV.

But the real lesson of this thread is "When anything happens you don't understand find and read the opencpn.log file." There are many times it will tell you what you have to do. When debugging plugins you will find helpful hints in the log file too. I had to put a reminder on a sticky note.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:16   #14

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Well... Those "them" is me
Pavel, I am sure we can all forgive. You were a very great help to me getting it running!
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:36   #15
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Actually you have to put the folders in 3 places to cover all cases. They have to be in both build\debug, build\release, and build. I believe this may be environment dependent so YMMV.
So what should state the Wiki?

Quote:
But the real lesson of this thread is "When anything happens you don't understand find and read the opencpn.log file." There are many times it will tell you what you have to do. When debugging plugins you will find helpful hints in the log file too. I had to put a reminder on a sticky note.
And how to reflect this in the documentation?