Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2012, 21:00   #1

Boat: Twin Vee, 22 Hawaiian 22'
Vector Chart Bug

I have a problem with two of my vector charts for Aransas Pass, TX. All of my charts are NOAA vector charts (about a month old) that display correctly in Coastal Explorer. I have tried OpenCPN on two computers, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows Vista. Both have this problem. Charts US5TX27M.000 and US5TX22M.000. Those charts seem to conflict with one another. Maybe because one is inside the boundary of the other and they both have the same scale? Funny thing is, I can remove US5TX27M.000 from the quilt and then click on either chart and each will be displayed, but they just won't display at the same time.

While I'm on the topic of charts, I have an additional question. This drove me crazy working with a computer illiterate captain and and old version of The Capn'. In The Capn' program you would define chart directories in a list and the program would prioritize them based on their position on that list. Problem was, the program would use a chart from the top of the list, not necissarily the most up-to-date chart (these were raster charts). Does OpenCPN look for the the most recent chart if there are two of the same?
Old 28-06-2012, 21:04   #2

Boat: Twin Vee, 22 Hawaiian 22'
Re: Vector Chart Bug

Same thing happens with Tampa, FL chart US4FL12M.000
Old 28-06-2012, 21:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Vector Chart Bug

Chris....

I took a look at Aransas Pass. btw, I used to keep a boat at Mustang Island....Old stomping grounds

Anyway, the problem you see is real, and is a bug. The issue is that there are two cells of the same scale, one of which is entirely contained within the outline of the other.

Our quilting algorithm fails in this case. Same thing going on at Tampa Bay.

Thinking about this some more, I conclude that this is yet one more of the more odd things about NOAA ENC compilations. In this case, there is a "hole" in a chart cell of 1:20,000 scale, and in that "hole" should be another chart cell of 1:20,000.

Why are there separate cells if the scale is the same?
Up to some cartographer's judgment somewhere, I guess, related to the original cartographic data source. Anybody have any other reasonable explanation for this situation?

Anybody know of any other places where the same situation obtains?

Anyway, we can fix it of course. The fix will not appear in the upcoming Service Release of OpenCPN V3.0.0. It should, however, appear in the 3.1 Beta series starting soon.

Meantime, if you really need the cells affected, you may run in non-quilted mode and select them individually.

Regarding your question of duplicate charts:
As the chart database is built, duplicates are identified, and the most recent Edition is selected for the database. So, there should not be any exact (i.e. filename) chart duplications in the database.

If you think you have found such a case, we would like to hear about it.

Thanks
Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: