Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2015, 13:52   #1

Using "Send to GPS" to send via IP?

I'm trying to send waypoints from OpenCPN to my Simrad NSS8 GPS/Chartplotter via IP. I don't have an RS-232 connection. I have tried using the "Send to GPS" function, but there are no entries in the GPS/Plotter Port dropdown list, and I can't find anything in the help pages about the format of what goes in the text box.

I thought I might be able to type something like
192.168.1.10:10110
in the box, but doing so does not cause any messages to be sent (though OpenCPN happily informs me "waypoint(s) transmitted"). I have run a trace with WireShark, and verified that OpenCPN does not send any data if that string is used for the port.

Any help on the proper syntax to send to an IP address would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
jim326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 14:40   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Using "Send to GPS" to send via IP?

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.4.png
Views:	278
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	100603

If nothing comes up in "Send to GPS" go to the Route manager "Send to GPS" and define the port. See pictures with choices above.
Both the ports on the picture are defined in Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage , as output ports and are connected.

The way to search the manual is to go to OpenCPN User Manual , hit CTRL + F and write "Send to GPS" in the box.

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 14:59   #3

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

No personal experience with the NSS8 but I think you may be disappointed. "Tier 1 GoFree" which you can get data out of via IP to feed OpenCPN is one way: out only. You can't pass anything back to it.

I did mail Navico on the address they provide to enquire about the developer kit for "higher tiers" (twice, once last year and once a couple of weeks ago) but they didn't reply. So much for encouraging developers to write applications to interact with their products.

Apologies if you're not trying to do what I think you're trying to do :-)
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 15:44   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I think there are at least two ways WPTs are sent/received.

I remember having a Ray plotter where I was supposed to activate "receive" on the plotter first ...

I think I like things old Garmin way: the plotter is listening continuously and whatever WPTs pop up on the NMEA in get collected by our unit.

I bet things are achangin' now that N2K is the standard. We are not N2K yet.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

jim326...

OCPN has no concept of sending route/waypoints to a network connection. None at all. The SendToGPS dialog liosts only the physical serial ports available on the system, and does not consider the available network connections.

As muttnik says, we have no idea what the external plotter device is looking for as a TCP or UDP message from OCPN. I suppose it is just possible that it is waiting in the blind for a broadcast UDP message, but this is just a quess.

When/if we learn more, this could be a nice feature.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 12:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Attachment 100603

If nothing comes up in "Send to GPS" go to the Route manager "Send to GPS" and define the port. See pictures with choices above.
Both the ports on the picture are defined in Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage , as output ports and are connected.

The way to search the manual is to go to OpenCPN User Manual , hit CTRL + F and write "Send to GPS" in the box.

/Thomas
The dialog that "Send to GPS" in the Route Manager brings up is identical to the one brought up by the context menu when I right-click a waypoint and selected "Send to GPS". In both cases, the only thing in there is what I typed trying to see if it would accept an IP connection.

I do have a TCP connection defined under Options | Connections, but as the User Manual notes, there is no correlation between what happens in "Send to GPS" and what you have defined in Options | Connections.

Based on your screen shot, it appears that you have some COM ports on your PC that are being picked up by the "Send to GPS" dialog. I don't have any COM ports on my PC, so nothing appears in either Route Manager or the context dialog.
Old 18-04-2015, 12:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
No personal experience with the NSS8 but I think you may be disappointed. "Tier 1 GoFree" which you can get data out of via IP to feed OpenCPN is one way: out only. You can't pass anything back to it.

I did mail Navico on the address they provide to enquire about the developer kit for "higher tiers" (twice, once last year and once a couple of weeks ago) but they didn't reply. So much for encouraging developers to write applications to interact with their products.

Apologies if you're not trying to do what I think you're trying to do :-)
Hey Muttnik,

The menu on the Simrad had a couple of things that make me hopeful. They are:

Settings | Network | NMEA2000 | Receive Waypoint
Settings | Network | NMEA0183 | Receive Waypoint
Settings | Network | NMEA0183 | Ethernet

These last two make me believe that, if OpenCPN sent the correct NMEA0183 string over a TCP connection on port 10110, it would be interpreted by the Simrad like any other NMEA0183 as if it had come in over a serial port.

However, I can't even get that far, as I am still missing the setting to get OpenCPN to send an NMEA0183 waypoint or route sentence over Ethernet. So if anyone knows how to get OpenCPN to do that via the "Send to GPS" dialog (or by any other method), I would appreciate it if you let me know how it's done, or definitively tell me that OpenCPN is incapable of sending any waypoint or route information over TCP.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 18-04-2015, 12:58   #8
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jim,

when Dave as the lead developer states (three posts above) that in this moment there is no way to send a waypoint via TCP or UDP to an autopilot you can take this as granted.

But if you get information/documentation about the protocol of how your autopilot is receiving waypoints over Ethernet that feature can be implemented.

So the question is to try if Simrad/Navico is more open if you ask....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:36   #9

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim326 View Post
Settings | Network | NMEA0183 | Receive Waypoint
Settings | Network | NMEA0183 | Ethernet

These last two make me believe that, if OpenCPN sent the correct NMEA0183 string over a TCP connection on port 10110, it would be interpreted by the Simrad like any other NMEA0183 as if it had come in over a serial port.
If Dave says it isn't currently a feature of OpenCPN I'd tend to believe it :-)

I think (could be wrong: this just from a quick glance at the manual) "Receive Waypoint" and "Ethernet" are two entirely separate menu items with the latter telling you the address of the plotter for configuring OpenCPN, iNavX or whatever to get data *out* of the MFD.

This type of straight NMEA-0183-over-IP is output only: i.e. *from* the NSS: Here's the Navico "Tier 1" spec. Section 4.4 specifically says that two-way communication is not supported:
http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...cification.pdf

For communication the other way (sending data *to* the MFD) you need to ask Navico for their developer kit. This is what they simply didn't reply to my enquiries about. However I believe two way communication involves use of websockets, which is slightly different from simply pumping out the data over UDP or TCP.

Would AP output over IP be a useful feature? Not for Navico stuff presumably, but it might not be a bad idea if someone has an arduino, single board computer or whatever hooked up to their AP's NMEA-0183 input.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:04   #10

I have built a device which translates between bluetooth 0183 and network connected 2000. One of the things that I wanted to do was make use of the Send to GPS function to transfer waypoints to my Zeus chart plotter. Pleased to say that it is working, as well as providing OpenCPN with all the 2000 network data like wind, speed, log, heading, depth, GPS, and AIS. It also continues to navigate the last route transmitted (XTE, DTW, BTW all sent to 2000 network) when the laptop/OpenCPN is switched off. First use in anger next weekend!
adwuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 17:41   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

adwuk I am very interested and would like to know more after your test. Installing a Zeus Touch with Broadband.

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to connect Opencpn on PC and Zeus to the Radar.

At the same time it would be very nice to be able to "inject" Raymarine ST60 Instrument Data into the Zeus and Opencpn -using a gadgetpool.de bidirectional Seatalk Link with Seatalk to/from RS232 (Nmea0183). Opencpn waypoints to Zeus would be a huge bonus.

I have an old 12vdc router Linksys N Type router which might help. Of course the computer also has bluetooth...

By the way, oBabel_pi is intended to help with transfer of waypoints and routes.
Quote:
OpenCPN is a fantastic program for planning routes but sometimes these routes need to be transferred to chartplotters from Garmin, Raymarine etc.
It might not help with this problem, but who knows?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps