Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 12:31   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
USERS should become EDITORs

Hey guys, this project isn't going to get done with just 3 of us working on it. I am now ready to simply delete everything that has not been transferred over that is not in decent format, but I don't think that would be very popular.

So there are two choices:
1. Help
2. Let me delete stuff.

Because three of us isn't going to get this done. We need about 5-8 people.
There are image and internal links to check and fix, and formatting to fix.

Send me a PM!

Thanks
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 12:42   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: USERS should become EDITORs

People might want a little more information about the project before volunteering.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 14:11   #3

I've written about this effort in two or three other threads which have been widely viewed.
  1. We are migrating the very Old Druple 6 Documentation to Dokuwiki and are calling it Opencpn Dokuwiki [Owiki]. The current website does not meet today's standards for security and must be upgraded. We have looked at moving from Druple 6 to Druple 7 and 8 and asked for anyone knowledgeable to step forward to help, but some of the important plugins used by our "Books" are no longer supported. So it make sense to pick from a broader field.
  2. We are more than halfway in the process, but just 3 people have worked on it. We are getting tired of this. This has not been a cooperative "barn raising" as thought...
  3. Bdbcat has suggested that Dokuwiki is the best wiki because it is opensource and uses flat files, so there is no mysql database involved, which should make upgrades much much easier. So we are using it.
  4. Having used and configured Wordpress, Concrete and Druple, I agree. However it is inevitable that there will be a few upgrade issues with anything. I have found that you can simply copy the entire dokuwiki on the server and the second instance works!
  5. This wiki has some distinct differences from the CMS above. It is simpler and seems to be faster. The Indexmenu Plugin we are using uses the file structure for the TOC navigation and relative paths will not work.
  6. We need skilled users to Edit pages to:
    1. Redirect & correct media links
    2. Redirect & correct internal links.
    3. Correct, simplify and improve formatting.
    4. Fix footers.
  7. We have 4 "Books" or "Namespaces" on the website:
    1. Developer Manual - 1/8 complete, empty pages needed.
    2. Supplemental Hardware -1/4 complete, Drew migrated pages.
    3. Supplemental Software -1/4 complete, Drew migrated pages.
    4. Opencpn User Manual - 3/4 complete, largest book. Fabbian and Rick are working to hopefully complete this. We need some help.
  8. We need USERS (not programmers) to become editors.
    1. Developer Manual - ??? 2 people
    2. Supplemental Hardware - ??? 2 people
    3. Supplemental Software - ??? 2 people
    4. OpenCPN User Manual - Rick & Fabbian + ?? 2 person
  9. We need to get the Owiki done (and the new website format done - lots of moving parts) before the opencpn.org website can be updated, because all the source material on the website is being used to construct the Owiki and we need it for reference!
  10. Dave has suggested a possible rollout fairly soon, but IMHO it is unlikely at this point, unless Users step up to the plate now.
So that's it in a nutshell.
Old 13-12-2016, 16:13   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Soooo.....

Is this a paid position, or just looking for volunteers?? I can imagine that there has to be some cruiser(s) out there, or live aboard, that has decent internet, and skills, looking for a little extra cash for the kitty....

If it's a paid position, and nobody on here takes you up on it, post out on the "Sailing and Cruising" facebook page you'd get more than a few nibbles...and would need a bigger fishing pole, I would imagine.
Old 13-12-2016, 20:39   #5

Don't be a "USER", become an EDITOR!!!

Its purely volunteer. Users need to consider the many of hours of programming effort that has been put into the program, and the fact that we do not want programmers spending time on this!

Don't be a "USER", become an EDITOR!!!

News flash: Two new volunteers.
Old 14-12-2016, 06:59   #6

Be an Editor, not a user.

@ Land Cruiser
Soooo... are you going to help?

We have had 4 users offer to be Editors in the last 48 hours.
1. mrdrew Drew
2. Sun and Moon Jim
3. StevenUK Steven
4. kathi -Thank you for the offer, but you have enough with the new website design and server!

That's a good start. We need 5 more attentive editors and we'll be able to get this done.
Drew you have your Editor's PW, Jim and Steven, I'll be sending you one.

Drew has pretty much migrated (copy and paste into CKedit) all the pages from the Books/Namespaces: Supplementary Hardware & Supplementary Software.

The Migration Process:

Duplicate Book Outline/Structure and Create Pages.
  1. I've done most of this.
  2. There are some pages missing under Developer Manual
  3. The process is described, in Editor User Manual Notes here.
  4. but I will try to make it more succinct in another post.
Copy all of a Books/Namespace Text(html) files to the Owiki.
(Note Drew completed 2 1/2 books (Developer Pages have not all been created) and the O User Manual is being done by Rick and Fabbian.)
  1. Open one of the old books in your browser, say Developer Manual .
  2. This page has the Table of Contents which is automatically generated. There no text to copy.
  3. Select the next page down Developer Guide. This page has html that needs to be copied. We want to copy all of it, but not the html outside the Book. We have to be careful about that. Highlight just the wiki text & Copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C).
  4. Then in a new browser Tab, log into the Owiki temporary website and open the exact same page in Owiki, We know the Developer Manual page has the TOC which is automatically generated by a plugin called Indexmenu. So we must navigate to the first page that requires text, Developer Guide
  5. In the first page with text/html Developer Guide you will see that I have already "Created" this page by inserting some Dokuwiki link code in the first page "Developer Manual".
  6. Now in this page I have inserted Dokuwiki code to "Create" some sub-pages. Some of these links are Green and some are red. The red links do not yet had a page "created". We will take a brief look at the Dokuwiki Code on this page later.
  7. I don't want you to change anything yet, in fact I want you to leave those links at the top of the page, when you paste the Html on your clipboard, so select "DW Edit" from the right menu bar.
  8. You will now see the code for the links at the top, along with the Title and above that {{indexmenu_n>[number]}} which is the hard coded indexmenu sorting order for the Indexmenu Plugin (right hand navigation TOC).
  9. Now select Save and we are back at the normal page.
  10. Now select from the right hand menu "Edit this Page". There will be a pause, wait as the other CK Editor (html editor) comes up. It should have a double row menu and a button for going to "DW Edit" at the bottom. You are now in the CK Editor the HTML Editor.
  11. You can now put your cursor under the Title and Page Links, make sure the "Unordered List" Icon at the top is unchecked and you are not in list mode.
  12. Now you can finally "Paste" Ctrl-V the HTML text that is in your clipboard into the correct Owiki page while in CK Editor.
  13. The text may not be perfect, but you should see the images because the links are all referencing the Old website.
  14. Pick "Save" to save the page.
  15. Now you can pick "DW Edit" if you want to edit the page using Dokuwiki format.
  16. See the Dokuwiki syntax page here , also we are making Editor User Manual Notes here. These may explain the structure of Dokuwiki better. We are trying to improve this page and simplify.
  17. You can also use CK Edit for your editing. There are some pros and cons to both. I would suggest "Saving" the page before going to the other editor.
  18. We will cover the third step to redirect media links in another post.
  19. We will cover the fourth step to redirect internal links in another post.

Copy all of a Books/Namespaces Media files to the Owiki.
  1. Open one of the old books in your browser, say Developer Manual and right-click save-as all images to a temporary download directory on your PC starting at the first page, and working all the way to the end.
  2. Then in a new Browser Tabb, log into the Owiki temporary website and open "Media Manager" and navigate Media Manager to the opencpn:dev directory.
  3. Now comes the easy part. In Media Manager, Select Upload Tab and browse to your PC's temporary download directory. Select all the files and upload them to the Owiki media directory opencpn:dev
  4. Check to make sure all the files are uploaded by trying to upload again.The Media Manager will skip files already uploaded.
  5. Then delete the files in your PC temporary directory, as you may use it again.
  6. The media files for one book have now been moved to Owiki and can be "linked" to with the proper pathname/filename.
  7. There are two other Books/Namespaces that need their image files copied over to Owiki. We have done the OpenCPN User Manual images.
--------------------------
Media Directories Place the image files in correct directory.
1. Developer Manual - opencpn:dev
2. Supplementary Hardware - opencpn:hardware
3. Supplementary Software - opencpn:software
4. Opencpn User Manual - opencpn:manual (Done)
Old 14-12-2016, 07:53   #7

Migration Process.

Improved page under the new oWiki ,
Under: Opencpn User Manual >_Edit User Manual > Migration Process
Old 15-12-2016, 12:46   #8

We've just added 4 Editor - Managers to the list of those working on the oWiki!

oWiki Editors

• Dave Register
  • Kathi B.
  • Fabbian Dufoe
  • Rick Gleason
  • Gilletarom
  • Thomas Cagney
  • John Macrae
  • Teddy
  • Drew Kerlee
  • Hubert Kleis
  • Mike Rossiter *
  • Jim Galbiati *
  • George *
  • Steven Bromley *
* new

Thanks Everyone.
Old 30-12-2016, 05:46   #9

Summary of Progress

Linux and Fedora Installation need formatting and review.
Old 30-12-2016, 13:03   #10

Boat: Boatless (for now)

Willing to help:

I am actively cruising, now in NZ having sailed from the US. And I use OpenCPN a lot. When in NZ we have good internet access. Not so much in the "islands." We will be in NZ through mid-April.

I have some experience as a MS/Windows "power" user and as a user supporting app development/testing/documentation. So, with some guidance I might be able to be of use, maybe proof-reading, testing links, etc?
OZwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 20:08   #11

Plugins need some help

We would like to appeal to all Users to join us in updating the Plugins.

We need some volunteer Editors and Testers for the 44 OpenCPN Plugins.

There are 10 plugins that have no documentation. Each plugin will likely need one or two pages with screenshots and description. Plugin User Guide Template is a guide. Just install the plugin run it and take screenshots. Then write it up in any form. Send us the screenshots and text we'll take care of the rest.

The ten plugins needing documentation are listed in Summary of Progress
look for Plugins that "Need a Page"

If it is easier for you to be an Editor you 're encouraged to Register and PM Rick .

There are 11 plugins that have complete documentation and should probably be checked, testing them on several OS, (windows & linux perhaps). It would be very helpful if 3-4 testers could run these plugins and advise, either by PM Rick or editing the Summary of Progress Chart adding result of your test and your name. These plugins are listed as "Needs Testing".

We need Users to volunteer to Edit the rest of the plugin documents for updates and improvements, adding screenshots and description. This is best done using the wiki. You 're encouraged to Register and PM Rick .

Thank you.
Old 21-01-2017, 13:28   #12

Update: Summary of progress - Plugins

All Plugin new pages are created and links fixed.
Based on input from others

13 - Need Documentation
12 - Could be tested now

Summary of Progress
Roel has done one today and Peter advises Logbook and Findit are working and fine. Mike has done several and I've done one. Pick a plugin from the Summary of Progress page. Hakan is building a very nice wiki for BR24 Radar and Jon and Pierre are busy improving ODraw and Watchdog, so those will need updates. Tom is working on internationalization of Tactics and his documentation is transferred. So there is progress, but we really need your help to finish.

There are now new pages all made for each plugin that is anticipated.

Users please lend a hand here, its fun creating a page. After the first one it is easy. We have Edit pages for each step, from Taking Screenshots to uploading them and embedding them in your text. If there are any questions or help needed we're right here.

Do become an Editor its one good way to contribute. The other good way is to make a Donation!

Register and PM Rick, we will welcome your help.

A Big Thanks to everyone who is helping finish this Wiki!
Old 23-01-2017, 07:25   #13

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"
Re: Update: Summary of progress - Plugins

FYI,
I'm ready with Object Search and Launcher docs.
I have resized all screenshots so none of them is wider than 460 pixels. And as the media-files of both "Launcher" and "Object Search" live in one and the same directory ("Manual"- "Plugins" -"Utility_plugins") I have renamed the files for these two pages to "Launcher_01.jpg to Launcher_18.jpg" and "Object_Search_00.jpg" to "Object_Search_20.jpg"). That way it's clear -even to me- to what page they belong and what their sequence is in those docs.

Feel free to shoot at the docs and correct them where wrong or otherwise inappropriate..
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:24   #14

Roel Thankyou! Your naming of files is very good. Location is also fine. I think plugins images under that dir is best.
Serge is doing Statusbar!
Old 25-01-2017, 09:08   #15

Re: USERS ---> EDITORs --> PLUGINS !!!!

We still have work on PLUGINS

User Contribution

Consequently User's are primarily responsible for maintaining and improving the Wiki. We depend on everybody's help and contributions to keep these Books current. Also we need Plugin Testers badly, see Summary of Progress below.

Register on the OpenCPN Wiki and PM Rick, we will welcome your help. Even small edits, corrections and improvements, as you see them, are very effective.

Pick a Plugin to Document

See Summary of Progress for a list of Plugin Documentation & TESTING that needs work.

Jon Gough in particular has asked for help Testing ODraw and OWatchdog new functions.

There are many easy, small projects that need to be completed. For example, Sean's plugins for Projections, RotationCtrl and a number of others have not been documented. They all need final testing and documentation.

There are some major plugin efforts ongoing, and I am sure each team would appreciate your help in documentation and/or testing!

There are some exciting projects happening. Join the effort! Become a part of the Revolution.