Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 03:55   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Upgrade to Win 10?

Dell Inspiron XPS 15 laptop has win 7 pro and nvidia geforce 540m and onboard intel hp graphics. MS wants me to upgrade. Its my primary machine. I have MS Visual Studio and compile Opencpn with this.

Should I upgrade? Ive upgraded a surface pro 3 from win 8 to win 10 about a year ago, so I know win 10.

This machine is starting to get older but it does have a good cpu and lots of memory.

What has others experience been?
Will it be slower? Will I have to reinstall programs? -probably!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 04:58   #2

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: Upgrade to Win 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dell Inspiron XPS 15 laptop has win 7 pro and nvidia geforce 540m and onboard intel hp graphics. MS wants me to upgrade. Its my primary machine. I have MS Visual Studio and compile Opencpn with this.

Should I upgrade? Ive upgraded a surface pro 3 from win 8 to win 10 about a year ago, so I know win 10.

This machine is starting to get older but it does have a good cpu and lots of memory.

There is not so much as a free update. Microsoft takes with Windows 10 remote control over your system. You can no longer switch this off.

They can add or remove whatever they like. They call it "telemetry" but it is not clear at what they are looking for in your system. In my view it is a kind of spyware.

Also some hardware is no longer supported. If you use a GPS mouse with some type of Prolific chipset, it is no longer supported under Win10. You have to buy a new one.

I think it is better to stay with Win7.
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 05:27   #3

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
There is not so much as a free update. Microsoft takes with Windows 10 remote control over your system. You can no longer switch this off.

They can add or remove whatever they like. They call it "telemetry" but it is not clear at what they are looking for in your system. In my view it is a kind of spyware.

Also some hardware is no longer supported. If you use a GPS mouse with some type of Prolific chipset, it is no longer supported under Win10. You have to buy a new one.

I think it is better to stay with Win7.
X2! Dell & HP tech support staff have actually been advising many folks to NOT upgrade to 10 due to driver issues/compatibility problems. 10 is a major OS upgrade so due diligence should be applied here. Confirm manufacturer support specs for each piece of software and hardware you run/own, make a full backup of the PC (and verify it) then proceed with caution. Have a game plan should the upgrade go sideways and ALWAYS have a plan B, which usually involves putting everything back to the way it was.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:56   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

One word. Ubuntu. I plunged headfirst and burned my bridges behind me when I needed a new laptop and Win7 was no longer available preinstalled. I bought a Win8 machine and it was horrible, so I went with Ubuntu 12.04. Sweet. Yesterday I picked up two new laptops, one for work and one for the boat, Asus machines with 4gb/1Tb, Intel, DVD, for $229/ea at BestBuy. Win10 pre-installed. I didn't try Win10. Didn't even think about it. I stuck my Ubuntu 14.04 thumb drive in the USB hole, booted up, (F2 for the boot menu) and did a wipe/install. I'm typing on one of them now. Both of them are perking along with all my apps installed and everything.

Its free, BTW. And you can make a LiveUSB and try it out without installing it. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be hitting "Install" before you know it, and you will be telling MS to eat your shorts.
Old 28-11-2015, 07:12   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I installed W10 on my W7, Dell laptop,I3 2.2Ghz machine with lots of aps. It was a disaster. Many things didn't work. However the restore to W7 did work. I'm may try to update my W8 Miix tablet. All it has is Opencn and a few other nav programs.
Old 28-11-2015, 17:18   #6

Boat: 29'

I ask myself,
Does it do everything I want?

If so, I do not "upgrade". Better to wait and get a machine that comes with it...
Analogy might be : would I install fuel injectors to a reliable carburetted outboard? No. I would wait until I get a reliable ob that happens to have fuel injectors...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 17:44   #7

Boat: 29'

or maybe you should read this

How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 18:12   #8

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:

Hi Rick

Your XPS15 has better specs than my E6410 and E6520 and some old Acer. I upgraded all of 'em without much trouble. I use IOBit uninstaller (use the portable version, crapware alert!), to get rid of all the extra stuff from MS I don't want (OneDrive, XBox....). Older Prolific USB-RS232 chips can be trouble, as they have been in Win7/8, rolling back the driver to an earlier version fixes that. You shouldn't loose your old apps/program, only if you do a 'reset', then it un-installs some programs but keeps their settings.

Good luck

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 18:16   #9

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

If you have problems with win7, then consider upgrading, but if you don't, I wouldn't. Like others have already said, Microsoft has overstepped their bounds and think they own your PC and can do what they like. Invade your privacy, make changes without your permission, etc.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 19:11   #10

Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond. I have considered all of your points and information:
1. While I believe it will upgrade successfully, there may be some driver issues and I find the Win 10 interface is not as efficient.
2. As Happy Seagull suggests, I have no immediate need or reason to upgrade, so why do it?
3. I may be inviting troubles by upgrading, and the machine appears to work efficiently now.
Old 28-11-2015, 19:44   #11

Windows 10 Update Cancel

From cruisersforum.com

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-149627-2.html

Post #27 page 2:

Here is a solution that will suit whoever has W7. This only applies if you have not already accepted W10.

The updates giving you trouble are
2952664 and 3035583

Search your updates and delete both. At the same time convert your update system to 100% manual. Both updates will return but at least you can ignore them.

Originally Posted by Nicholson58 [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stu/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
I "UPDATED" to 7 because XP was no longer supported. Not only do they require updates, You cannot own the new office suit. My old OFFICE will not load by their $$ extraction plan. You must rent it now by the year. I suppose that when it expires while you are at sea, you will be incapacitated. I am so angry with their exploitation of the customer base. What a business plan. I may be going raspberry pie/Linux or re-loading 95, 98, XP and Office. Perhaps Mac. I think I am done with Mr. Gates knows best etc.
Re Office:

I deal a lot with MS Office of various flavours. IMO, Office 2013 is a classic example of enforcing the "cloud" upon end users whether they want it or not. Furthermore, it is also the most troublesome of all recent Office releases, seemingly suffering a range of gremlins not generally found in earlier versions.

Also don't forget the licensing model has changed. Subscription is indeed pushed, but if purchased outright the license is strictly for a single PC and cannot be transferred forever more to another PC as per the EULA (although this can be gotten around with some hassle). Earlier versions of Office are far less restrictive on use.

My advice if you're stuck with MS Office is to buy Office 2010 or 2007 from Ebay. There's still plenty of unopened genuine versions available at very good prices.

Better still, 99% of users of MS Office do not need to use MS Office. Try one of the many free variants instead like Open Office or Libre Office. Cost is zip and unless you're into macros or documents connected to data sources or MS Access databases or complex MS Office specific documents you'll barely skip a beat in the change over. There's no Outlook, but again plenty of free Email clients abound e.g. Thunderbird.

While your at it, chuck out Acrobat Reader DC. It phones home too, and plenty of lightweight alternatives are available like Sumatra PDF Reader that again will do 99% of what you require without the bloat and phone home "features".

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 04:24   #12

I suppose this laptop is headed for Ubuntu at some point, but then our CAD program, Energy programs, Office 2003 and other programs would be defunct....not a good prospect.
Old 29-11-2015, 04:39   #13

I am going to offer the contra advise. I have three machine that I updated to W10. They range from an older Dell D630 laptop to a newish desktop with an i5, and mid line AMD graphics card, a terabyte HD and 256 GB SSD. On all machine W10 is a much better performer. You can turn off all those things that cause windows to share or update automatically. The only issue I have is that the older D630, which is based on an Intel M645 chip set does not have an openGL driver for W10. My other Dell laptop has a different graphics card (NVidia NVM140) and openGL works fine. Other than that, there is no down side to W10. It runs better, it takes less disk space, and is a much more secure OS. Edge is a much improved browser than IE, although I mostly use Chrome. If you hate the new start screen grab a free download caused Classic Shell. I also use the free versions of Panda AV and Zone Alarm Firewall. All plays together perfectly and you have a machine that is much more secure. Open CPN 4.0 works fine on all of them although without OpenGL on the D630. The current Beta has all kinds of issues with drawing, panning and zooming on all of them, but that is not a Win10 issue and existed on Win8 and Win7.

HTH,
Doug

PS: What Stu said is correct. A lot of apps reach out to their parents. You want see this with the msoft firewall. Get Zone Alarm and you can see what is updating in the background. Then you can decide whether to allow it or turn it off. Among those that I have found, any apple product, any adobe product, almost any garmin product, all all the msoft office apps. None of this is a W10 issue, but is easier to see once you give up the horrible windows firewall.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:03   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in my windoze puters i have 7. as i only managed to have 2 gb ram in each, that is perfect. windoze 8 needs 2 gb just to run. my friends with windoze 10 are experiencing much difficulty so i asked my puter repair guy, who is quite puter intelligent, says windoze 10 isnt worth the money nor the effort and has issues.. as a friend is learning daily.
i am to receive a reallllly inxpensive airbook mac or some other apple product via my friendly find it connection here in mexico, and i have 2 chrome books. one even has 4 gb ram. omygods...what i neeed with a pos program not as stable as the others when i have 2 already decent chromebooks and will have one mac.... with 2 windoze unit for hotspot..i can even give one windoze unit to a friend who found for me the mac.... life rocks so much better without windoze.
i do not use puter for navigation. i use puter for weather and entertainment. this is entertainment...rodl.
oh yes, and i use puter for buying online items such as toilet pumps, boarding ladders to replace wood one killed off by patricia...and shoesies and such overly important items and communication with my dear loving mother and siblings. i think they want me to succeed because they donot wish to inherit any kind of boat thing.
good luck with your windoze upgrades.
oh an di asked my friend who is having somuch troule withher windoze 10--- h=she is a puter geek... sooo.., i asked her what is the benefit of windoze 10.. she has yet to answer. she installd hers 2 weeks ago and hasnt been ablw to get online after installing it. oops i wonder what causes a puter geek to have inbility to regain her wifi access post install of a program errr op platform....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:30   #15

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:

Rick, my experiences:
I've W10 on two PCs, one old Lenovo R61 and one not so old HP EliteBook.
- No program reinstall, everything just worked.
- One of four serial-USB converters needed a minor registry tweak. It was a dual-serial-to-one-USB that needed a change of the description text that was the same for the both USB ports so I just added a "1" to the second.
- Not slower due to my feelings. Rather the opposite.
- One thing was earlier a problem, the Synaptics touch pad. The slider function didn't work well but for me it was corrected in the latest update.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote