Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-11-2015, 13:58   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Upgrade to Win 10?

dwoodall and Hakan,

Thank you for your objective assessment, which has been very helpful.
I like the suggestions for alternative programs that work and are inexpensive/free.
Perhaps I will try to upgrade and ad the classic shell.

I don't think it would be wise to try our older XP machines, 2gb memory, as there are truly hardware isssues, so they will just continue.

Old 29-11-2015, 14:21   #17

Boat: Najad 34

Rick, 2 GB is good enough for my R61-
BTW, I forgot to mention some more work I did, although not very hard.
- Switch of all use of clouds, inbound browser and delete all live icons in the new "Start menu". That one is BTW really good for my own use instead of a bunch of icons on the desktop.
- Uninstalled my AVG since the inbound "Defender" seems good enough.
Håkan

Old 29-11-2015, 14:50   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Another vote for Linux. I am using Mint 17. Ran it alongside for a while, then about two months ago, chucked windows totally and dived in to Linux only.

Never looked back.

My CAD program runs even better under Wine. My Airmail runs perfectly. An old old version of Quicken, no problems. Compatibility with all peripherals, OpenCPN runs perfectly, GPS and all instruments, and talks to Autopilot. No Go-Pro Studio for Linux but there are better ones on the repositories. Take the plunge and become one of the few. You will be very impressed.
Look at the Mint screenshots....
You can compile OpenCPN on it too...
Old 29-11-2015, 16:48   #19

I upgraded my XPS 15 to windows 10 along with my nav computer, a nettop box that is definitely swifter on 10 compared to 7. Ditto on a little Acer aspire 1 netbook. No issues with drivers and manually installing an old driver took care of the prolific chipset issue. Like many others I use some apps for which there is no Linux version as good so I stick with windows. All OS have pros and cons but the main ones all work

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-11-2015, 08:01   #20

If you have Windows 8, I'd go straight to Windows 10. Windows 7 is good - it just does what you want it to. With the later Windows they are going too simple, cutting off their nose in spite of their face. But 10 is way better than 8/8.1 IMO. Twice as fast also. Faster also than Windows 7, noticably.

I went from 7 to 10 and don't regret it, it's pretty nice. Just need more advanced basic image software and get rid of their commercial apps - and don't take Cortana, in the privacy statement it admits to sharing information (your key strokes and everything else) with government agencies. That Ubuntu 12.04 option does sound appealing...
Old 30-11-2015, 10:08   #21

Boat: 29'

Puppy Linux. That's fast. And small.
.....And does most of whatever on anything I plug its< 200mb into. I can load this browser temporarily or save any change if there's a new password I want cached into it.... Access any hdd to use, run windows apps from wine loaded and then make it all disappear (or not).
I can make it load differently on different computers as a saved profile, or let run it fresh as though it's never seen this machine before.
There's a learning curve, but isn't there always? but stopping it from keylogging for the NSA is not on my todo list
Old 30-11-2015, 14:57   #22

Thanks all. Lots of good advice and experience here. I think both win10 and linux will work!

Rockhead
Quote:
make a full backup of the PC (and verify it) then proceed with caution.
Stu Jackson Win10 Update Cancel
Quote:
Here is a solution that will suit whoever has W7. This only applies if you have not already accepted W10. The updates giving you trouble are 2952664 and 3035583
Search your updates and delete both. At the same time convert your update system to 100% manual. Both updates will return but at least you can ignore them.
..Subscription is indeed pushed, ..if you're stuck with MS Office is to buy Office 2010 or 2007 from Ebay ...Try one of the many free variants instead like Open Office or Libre Office. ..Email client Thunderbird..

Dwoodhall Win10 3pcs one with
NVidia NVM140 and openGL works fine.
Quote:
turn off all those things that cause windows to share or update automatically.
runs better, it takes less disk space, and is a much more secure OS. Edge is a much improved browser. ..hate the new start screen grab a free download caused Classic Shell. I also use the free versions of Panda AV and Zone Alarm Firewall. All plays together perfectly and you have a machine that is much more secure...
PS: What Stu said is correct. A lot of apps reach out to their parents. You want see this with the msoft firewall. Get Zone Alarm and you can see what is updating in the background. Then you can decide whether to allow it or turn it off. Among those that I have found, any apple product, any adobe product, almost any garmin product, all all the msoft office apps. None of this is a W10 issue, but is easier to see once you give up the horrible windows firewall.
Håkan Win10
Quote:
2 GB is good enough.. Rick, my experiences:
one old Lenovo R61 and one not so old HP EliteBook.
- No program reinstall, everything just worked.
- One of four serial-USB converters needed a minor registry tweak. It was a dual-serial-to-one-USB that needed a change of the description text that was the same for the both USB ports so I just added a "1" to the second.
- Not slower due to my feelings. Rather the opposite.
- One thing was earlier a problem, the Synaptics touch pad. The slider function didn't work well but for me it was corrected in the latest update.
- Switch off all use of clouds, inbound browser and delete all live icons in the new "Start menu". That one is BTW really good for my own use instead of a bunch of icons on the desktop. Uninstalled AVG since the inbound "Defender" seems good enough.
svGilana using Linux Mint 17 Main Page - Linux Mint
Quote:
CAD program runs even better under Wine. My Airmail runs perfectly. An old old version of Quicken, no problems. Compatibility with all peripherals, OpenCPN runs perfectly, GPS and all instruments, and talks to Autopilot.
Littlechay Win10 ..swifter
Wildwill Win10 ..faster
Quote:
get rid of their commercial apps - and don't take Cortana
get better image software -- gimp?

Happy Seagull Puppy Linux. http://www.puppylinux.com/ Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started That's fast. And small.
Quote:
.....And does most of whatever on anything I plug its< 200mb into. I can load this browser temporarily or save any change if there's a new password I want cached into it.... Access any hdd to use, run windows apps from wine loaded and then make it all disappear (or not).
I can make it load differently on different computers as a saved profile, or let run it fresh as though it's never seen this machine before.
There's a learning curve, but isn't there always? but stopping it from keylogging for the NSA is not on my todo list.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:22   #23

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

As discussed on another thread here I had problems with drivers for my Dell laptop with Intel 965 graphics. The W10 update reverted to a generic GDI OpenGL emulator that is incompatible with OpenCPN.

The remedy was to re-install the W7 965 graphics drivers from the Intel website. They seem to work just fine with W10.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:38   #24

Thanks hoolie and hakan. Will check my intel hp graphics drivers to be sure from dell .
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56   #25

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I suppose this laptop is headed for Ubuntu at some point, but then our CAD program, Energy programs, Office 2003 and other programs would be defunct....not a good prospect.
Whats wrong with LibreOffice? or FreeCAD? What energy programs are you concerned with? The big problem seems to be with apps shackled to Visual Basic plugins. They dont play nice with Linux/Wine. But really, just about anything you need to do with a computer, someone else running Linux needs to do, too, and solutions happen.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:32   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Another vote for Linux. I am using Mint 17. Ran it alongside for a while, then about two months ago, chucked windows totally and dived in to Linux only.

Never looked back.

My CAD program runs even better under Wine.
Draftsight runs natively under Linux Download DraftSight - Dassault Systèmes and can be downloaded and used for free so Wine is not required. I know this "free" version is used by large engineering companies in the offshore oil and gas business.
Old 12-12-2015, 13:02   #27

Well, I finally succumbed to the Windows 10 prompt, after some backups. For this Dell Inspiron XPS 15 L502x it was quite painless. There are just a few tweeks needed for visiblity of lower taskbar, otherwise its workiing pretty much the same, unlike the Surface Pro -->w10.

So I guess I've defaulted to a less drastic approach for the time being.

Thank you for all the experience and observations regarding Linux and Windows.

I definitely have a love hate relationship with Windows, and its been with us for many years now... Since starting with dos in 83-84 I think.
Old 13-12-2015, 03:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Well, I finally succumbed to the Windows 10 prompt
I am a long term MS user and ran tech review copies of Win10 before release. The released version however has some unfortunate issues of particular interest to people running on low powered PC or with limited internet bandwidth. The sort of things that you have on a boat. I have been through a series of tweaks to get Win10 to behave in this environment.

1. Bloatware - MS in the efforts to trump Apple and Google(Android) have introduced a Store and loads of banal telephone style "Apps" as part of the core system. Here is a method to remove most of them.

Open Powershell as admin and enter the the code for what you want to uninstall. Obviously don't uninstall things you will use.

Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxPackageGet-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Music.Preview" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingTravel" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.People" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingFinance" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.3DBuilder" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingNews" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.XboxApp" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingSports" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Getstarted" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BingWeather" | Remove-AppxPackage

# Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost" | Remove-AppxPackage
# Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.BioEnrollment" | Remove-AppxPackage
# Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsStore" | Remove-AppxPackage
# Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" | Remove-AppxPackage
# Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" | Remove-AppxPackage

I have included Cortana in this but you will find you cannot remove it this way. There are various other hacks to remove it but it also destroys the search functions so you will have to live with it just being disabled.

2. Automatic Updates. There is no way to shut these off completely. You Can and should set all connections to the internet as "Metered".

Settings> Network & Internet> Wifi> Advanced Options> Metered Connection> OFF

3. Background Updates. Even after switching off metered connection MS still updates some functions in the background and hides these from the user. This is a particular problem if you hook up to an connection using a satellite phone for example, or even a 3G dongle where data is limited or expensive.
The only way I have discovered so far to avoid this is to use a router and block all of the connections / ports except for those you are specifically using. There are a couple of routers that work with third party software to do this at a price. My understanding is that Iridium connects through only a single port and is not affected, but I don't have one of these so check it out first.

4. P2P connections. MS in their assumption that everyone has top of the range PC's and unlimited bandwidth have included a Peer to Peer function withing their updates. This uses your machine and its bandwidth to service its other customers (a la Bit Torrent). This function will chew away at your data allowance to the tune of 2-3 GB / per day. Th switch this off you should do the following:

Settings> Update & Security> Windows Update> Advanced Options> Choose how updates are delivered> OFF

On the way through you can also check or un-check any boxes for updating other MS products.

4. Finally, disable and un-sync OneDrive.

Win10 is certainly better than Win 8/8.1 but overall I am disappointed with the constant battle with MS to prevent interference in how you operate and use your PC. So for me the jury is out and I will be evaluating Linux as a replacement over Christmas.
Old 13-12-2015, 05:23   #29

Boat: Najad 34

Tupaia..
Many thanks for the Powershell tips. I've used most of them.
I haven't yet got that upset to quit MS completely although there's some work to keep W10 clean. Like yesterday I had to tweak registry settings for a dual USB-serial converter and a serial mouse behavior again, after a MS update.
But my nav-PC on W10 is normally not connected to Internet so that's safe.
Håkan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: