Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-01-2014, 18:27   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Upgrade to 3.3.1303

pk...

ENC charts are converted once from NOAA distribution format to OpenCPN display format( S57 Exchange Set ->SENC). Once all charts are converted, the loading/moving is much faster.

Having said that, users in the USA with free access to NOAA RNCs should probably use them for daily navigation. I do They are accurate, and contain lots of visual information useful to small boat navigation that is not present in ENCs. And they look just like those old paper charts in your chart table drawers....

Dave

Old 21-01-2014, 18:58   #17

Boat: Viking Sportfish 35' - Nauti Lady
Send a message via Skype™ to pkrawetzky

Ok that kind of makes sense and is probably why the other program I have uses the RNC formats (ENC is not an option).

Can you force OpenCPN to convert all the charts because it doesn't seem to be working well. I've noticed if I move around and the SENC conversion occurs, when I go back to that same spot, the SENC conversion happens again. Almost as though the conversion is getting lost or deleted.

Old 23-01-2014, 17:15   #18

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
pk....

I think you have some trouble with corrupted downloads.

Many of your BSB(/KAP) chart files do not load correctly:

Code:
9:16:46 PM: Loading chart data for C:\Chartkit\BSB_ROOT\11451\11451_16.KAP
9:16:46 PM:    Chart File contains less than 3 PLY points: C:\Chartkit\BSB_ROOT\11451\11451_16.KAP
9:16:46 PM:    ...initialization failed for C:\Chartkit\BSB_ROOT\11451\11451_16.KAP
Same thing could be happening for the ENC files which produce errors.

Others have no trouble with current versions of these files from the NOAA server.

You may try a re-download of the NOAA charts...

Dave
In my case the "three ply point" errors seem innocuous. The ones I looked at don't seem to be charts. One had NA= "Cover" and the next one NA= "index". Your above example has NA=(Cover for Chart 11451) and no refs or plys.

There are also a series of SKEW errors, on what I think are mostly rivers, and of the 3 that I looked at, the override value is only slightly different than the SK value. I'm wondering how OpenCPN calculates the skew to compare with the SK value.

One more mystery; I've removed all directories except the directories for CGD1,5,7,9 ENC and RNC. When panning around 1. There are fewer pauses while the chart quilt(this may be the wrong word for ENC's) is being built and 2. It seems to me that there are many fewer errors while panning around with ENC's; but I did manage to get the strangely shaped areas but assoon as I click on the screen the grey disappears and if I zoom in I don't feel like anything is missing.

I've tried downloading ENC's and RNC's several times, so I'm wondering if unzip isn't the source of the ENC problems????? and maybe RNC's?

I'm on windows 7.
Old 27-01-2014, 13:06   #19

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I just tried unzipping a new download of region 1,5,7,9 ENC and RNC on 2 different systems, XP with 3.2.2 and W7 with 3.3.814.

1. Errors of this type "11:56:04 AM: Warning: Skew override on chart C:\Users\Jean\Daves Stuff\Charts\US CHarts by District\District 5& ICWW\BSB_ROOT\11534\11534_4.KAP is -162.04 degrees" only occur on 3.3.814. And are consistent over many downloads. The differences between the SK parameter and the "overrides" are small, in the 3rd or 4th decimal place; but why do they only occur in 3.3?

2. Errors of this type "Chart File contains less than 3 PLY points: C:\Users\Jean\Daves Stuff\Charts\US CHarts by District\District 1 -NE\BSB_ROOT\12372\12372_19.KAP"
occur on both systems and are consistent over many downloads.

3. I've given up on the SENC errors, but they occur in regions 1 & 5, on both systems, over many down loads. Could be inherent in the charts.
Old 27-01-2014, 14:16   #20

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
I just tried unzipping a new download of region 1,5,7,9 ENC and RNC on 2 different systems, XP with 3.2.2 and W7 with 3.3.814.

1. Errors of this type "11:56:04 AM: Warning: Skew override on chart C:\Users\Jean\Daves Stuff\Charts\US CHarts by District\District 5& ICWW\BSB_ROOT\11534\11534_4.KAP is -162.04 degrees" only occur on 3.3.814. And are consistent over many downloads. The differences between the SK parameter and the "overrides" are small, in the 3rd or 4th decimal place; but why do they only occur in 3.3?

2. Errors of this type "Chart File contains less than 3 PLY points: C:\Users\Jean\Daves Stuff\Charts\US CHarts by District\District 1 -NE\BSB_ROOT\12372\12372_19.KAP"
occur on both systems and are consistent over many downloads.

3. I've given up on the SENC errors, but they occur in regions 1 & 5, on both systems, over many down loads. Could be inherent in the charts.
wdkester

#1 Internal skew calculation is quite recent. It's introduced due to some European chart makers that produces skewed charts with SK=0. The patch is a bit chatty. The chatter is harmless and bdbcat has said that he intends to adjust this, when he gets time.

#2 I think it's a bit silly to call a picture without REF & PLY a .kap chart.
The warning given is correct, 12372_19.KAP can never be treated as a chart in O. Should anything be done it would be to just ignore any kaps without REFs & PLYs

Thomas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: