Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 05:07   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: U-Blox (7) drivers

I've added items & links and reorganized that page again.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:42   #32

Boat: 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF

I have determined, I think, that my GPS/GLONASS U-box 7 thumb drive is not working. It's not showing up on my computer when I insert it, so I replaced it with another thumb drive and that one showed up like normal. So, I've ordered a new one from UBLOX and it will be here Wednesday. I think this has been the source of my problem.

Once the new one arrives I'l get back on following your outstanding revised Manual and see if we can make some progress. Thanks so much for your patience with me.
jcchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41   #33

Too bad. Keep in mind that you cannot cannot cannot, just pull these USB things out. Either shut down and remove them, or find "Safely remove hardware and pick that UsB devie" in the taskbar.

Also always use the same USB port for the same device. Label it if you have a hub. Moving them around just creates aggravation because the com port can change! Best to get a working usb setup with GPS, AIS etc and label it all on the hub so you use the same ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchev View Post
I have determined, I think, that my GPS/GLONASS U-box 7 thumb drive is not working. It's not showing up on my computer when I insert it, so I replaced it with another thumb drive and that one showed up like normal. So, I've ordered a new one from UBLOX and it will be here Wednesday. I think this has been the source of my problem.

Once the new one arrives I'l get back on following your outstanding revised Manual and see if we can make some progress. Thanks so much for your patience with me.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00   #34

Boat: 1972 47' Chris Craft Commander YF
Thumbs up Re: U-Blox (7) drivers

I did not know that, which explains a lot about the difficulty I've been having. I only have one USB port on my tablet where I use this. My new one will be here Wednesday. Anxious to start over. Many thanks
jcchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 14:01   #35

You can use multiple devices on one com port, that is not a problem, one at a time. by shutting down or safely removing them.

I have an inateck hub with ethernet and 3 usb ports that plugs into a USB 3.0 port which is great when you want multiple devices available at the same time. IE Usb hub: Seatalk Converter + GPS + dAISy AIS plus it has a hard wired ethernet connection which I find very useful too.

USB and the hub act like a small Multiplex. This is when you Label everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchev View Post
I did not know that, which explains a lot about the difficulty I've been having. I only have one USB port on my tablet where I use this. My new one will be here Wednesday. Anxious to start over. Many thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 15:34   #36

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Also always use the same USB port for the same device. Label it if you have a hub. Moving them around just creates aggravation because the com port can change! Best to get a working usb setup with GPS, AIS etc and label it all on the hub so you use the same ports.

On Windoze (perhaps on others?) I don't bother with labels. I control the com port number for each device, regardless which USB port it is using, by the Advanced Port Settings in the Properties shown by Device Manager. If, when inserting it for the first time in any USB port, the computer assigns, say, COM 11, and I want that device to always be COM 4, for example, I use the Advanced setting to change it to COM 4. I then insert the device into the other USB ports and each time assign COM 4. For each of these additional USB ports you must accept the warning that the number has been used.

Saves finding labels that stand up to the wear and tear.

Just sayin'

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:10   #37

A liittle additional work, but why not, so that you can avoid scrambling around setting the comm port in Opencpn all the time. Thanks Terry I just learned something new about USB.

Also there is a USB file that records every time a usb has been plugged in and sometimes if you've been having troubles, it is worthwhile to scrub that clean and start over, but I haven't had to do that in a very long time, so perhaps that was during USB introduction with teething problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
On Windoze (perhaps on others?) I don't bother with labels. I control the com port number for each device, regardless which USB port it is using, by the Advanced Port Settings in the Properties shown by Device Manager. If, when inserting it for the first time in any USB port, the computer assigns, say, COM 11, and I want that device to always be COM 4, for example, I use the Advanced setting to change it to COM 4. I then insert the device into the other USB ports and each time assign COM 4. For each of these additional USB ports you must accept the warning that the number has been used.

Saves finding labels that stand up to the wear and tear.

Just sayin'

Terry
Old 04-06-2019, 04:26   #38

I struggled despite several blog posts and helpful notes.

I have the U-Blox7 connected to my Macbook pro

I plugged in the u-blox and after a shortwhile it started flashing a green LED.

I went to the OpenCPN preferences and selected:

Connections

Under Data Port I selected the /dev with USBModem as the identifier.

The trick for me was getting the correct baud rate.

Advice on other blogs had anything from 4800 to 115200.

I selected several until finally 115200 and OpenCPN then jumped to the correct position and GPS data started to read out at the bottom of the OpenCPN display

Hopefully that helps others with a Mac

BW

Oz
Oz on Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 18:34   #39

Quote:
I selected several until finally 115200 and OpenCPN then jumped to the correct position and GPS data started to read out at the bottom of the OpenCPN display

Hopefully that helps others with a Mac
Bravo, thank you for reporting back here!

Is this the full description of what you had to do?

Oz, did you not have to install a driver?
Old 13-04-2022, 03:44   #40

Boat: Lavranos H34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I would like to understand what is so unclear about:
And the associated links!!!! There are even good tutorials!
It is unclear because the links you provide lead to pages that "do not exist yet," and all the other instructions I have found assume Windows OS, not Linux, which I am using.
st0nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 03:46   #41

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0nes View Post
It is unclear because the links you provide lead to pages that "do not exist yet," and all the other instructions I have found assume Windows OS, not Linux, which I am using.
And what is your problem? All U-blox GPS units I have seen so far work out of the box under Linux.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 03:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
And what is your problem? All U-blox GPS units I have seen so far work out of the box under Linux.
My problem is that it seems there is no way for me to tell Open CPN where to find the GPS data, I have the USB GPS (U-blox 7) plugged in and it appears to be working, but Open CPN does not have the data.
Old 13-04-2022, 03:52   #43

You "tell OpenCPN where to find the GPS data" On the connections tab in the Toolbox. What to tell it depends on whether you want to use GPSd or connect directly to the GPS device.
Old 13-04-2022, 04:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
You "tell OpenCPN where to find the GPS data" On the connections tab in the Toolbox. What to tell it depends on whether you want to use GPSd or connect directly to the GPS device.
Thank you. Can you point me to a link that may have detailed instructions on how to do this? What is the difference between a direct connection and GPSD?
Old 13-04-2022, 04:04   #45

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ps_setup#linux