Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 07:31   #1

Transfer Routes via NEMA 0183 to My Plotter

I have an older model Raymarine RL80C chart plotter. The raymarine tech said I can import my routes and way points from OpenCPN to my chart plotter by connecting a serial cable from my computer to my chart plotter. I am acquiring the USB to serial cable to physically hook this up, but I'm not sure how to get OpenCPN to transfer the data. I have a BU-353 GPS hooked up to my computer and it works fine.
I believe I go to Toolbox > GPS but then what??

Thanks for any help.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 03:38   #2

Boat: Reinke, 15m, Present
Re: Transfer Routes via NEMA 0183 to my Plotter

I use the <Export Route> option in Route Manager in OpenCPN to export the routes and waypoints as a gpx-file. I open this gpx-file in GPS Utility so I can upload to the GPS.

Using the <Send to GPS> option in Route Manager doesn't work for me cause my Furuno GP33 needs some specific propriatery codes.
IIRC Dave wrote something about adding the various formats GPS's use to OpenCPN in the future but imo he is spending his time on more valuable subjects and this GPSU solution works great after the author of GPSU added the Furuno GP33 to the supported types list.

I have the registered version of GPSU which cost me a $50 or so some 10 years ago. In the GPS-Setup I see Raymarine mentioned. So you could download the freeware version and try it.

If it doesn't work with your plotter I am not sure if the author will add a specific brand/type of device when you use the freeware version of his program but you can ask him. www.gpsu.co.uk

Cheers, Len
svpresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 04:34   #3

Thanks Len, you're a bit over my head here.
I understood that OpenCPN would transfer routes and waypts via NEMA 0183 directly without any other programs or adjustments. I guess I'm wrong.
My Raymarine RL80C pathfinder MFD will only accept transfer of data via NEMA 0183 and I was hoping OpenCPN would do this.
Perhaps not.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 23-04-2011, 04:50   #4

Boat: Reinke, 15m, Present

The thing is you need a program that sends the NMEA data in the right format for your Raymarine plotter. I don't know what format Raymarine uses. What does the manual say? Could be it's plain NMEA but chances are Raymarine adds something specific so you need Raymarine programs.
In my case the Furuno format consists of $FPc at the beginning of every sentence.

If you don't have/can't find a manual you could try sending waypoints/route from your plotter to your pc and use hyperterminal (comm programm which is standard in Windows XP) to read the exact format. Then you know what you're dealing with.

HTH, Len.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I understood that OpenCPN would transfer routes and waypts via NEMA 0183 directly without any other programs or adjustments. I guess I'm wrong.
My Raymarine RL80C pathfinder MFD will only accept transfer of data via NEMA 0183 and I was hoping OpenCPN would do this.
Perhaps not.

Thanks,
Tim
svpresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 18:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

timjet....

You should try RouteManagerDialog->SendToGPS
This should work for generic Raymarine plotters.

Furuno <End> sentence is on the list of TODOs.

svpresent, thanks for the help

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 07:05   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Perhaps not.

Thanks,
Tim
Have you tried opening the Route Manager, selecting the route you want to export to your chart plotter, and clicking the "Send to GPS" button?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 05:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Have you tried opening the Route Manager, selecting the route you want to export to your chart plotter, and clicking the "Send to GPS" button?

Fabbian
I will try that and report back. After everything I've done so far, that sounds too simple.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 25-04-2011, 06:13   #8

I just talked to the Raymarine tech and he said that my Raymarine RL 80C will receive routes and waypt via NEMA 0183 ver 2.1.
Does OpenCPN transfer NEMA 0183 data using ver 2.1?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:55   #9

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: Transfer Routes via NEMA 0183 to My Plotter

timjet,
Not sure of the version of the NMEA 183 CPN uses but fgd3's process does work. I have a Raymarine C70 in which I upload routes via a nmea buss from CPN. I'm not sure if your RL80C has the ability to observe the buss. Investigate, and if so, you will see a transmitted string for each waypoint and a final string for the route. Note that in the send to gps option, CPN will tell you what comm port it will be using. Make sure your plotter is on that port. You may have to setup a new port if the GPS your using is not being used by the RL80C on "it's NMEA buss"

Regards,

Phil
nilespf is offline   Reply With Quote