Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 17:35   #1

Transducer-Opencpn

Okay hey folks, I searched Google with a few different key words and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm pretty new to marine electronics so please forgive me. My ancient depth sounder belongs in a museum, so I'm planning an upgrade. My question is; NMEA 2000 Transducer - Opencpn without a manufactures display? Is this do-able? I've gathered I would at least need a 2000 -> 0183 gateway so OpenCPN can play. Also, what's the deal with the "smart" designation I'm seeing on a few models?

Am I better off with this instead of dropping almost the same amount on a regular NMEA gateway? Same question though, do I need the manufacures display to make the system function?
Digital Yacht iKommunicate NMEA 0183 2000 to Signal K Gateway

Current hardware;
-Raspberry Pi3
-GPS dongle
-RTL-SDR

Software;
-Openplotter

Thanks,
-Scott
goeielewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 23:44   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Transducer-Opencpn

Scott..
I think the Digital Yatcht's unit is a bit "overkill" in your case and also is Signal-K not implemented in OpenCPN.
Unless a manufactures display can't offer NMEA 0183 or is more expensive you could use the Acticense NGT-1; Actisense - Overview
But check that the NMEA messages transmitted from your sounder device are supported by NGT-1 before purchase.
Or - Try to find a sounder that can transmit its data in NMEA 0183 instead?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 05:12   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

For OpenPlotter you can get a CAN/N2K gateway directly.

Looks that the Sailoog/OpenPlotter shop is closed for overhauling these days but should be present again during next week IIRC.

With respect to the RTL-SDR for AIS reception there is an interesting discussion in another thread here at the forum:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ac-164503.html
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 07:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Garmin part number 010-00702-01 is a NMEA 0183 depth and temperature transducer than can be connected direct to a computer running Opencpn - no NMEA 0183 to 2000 gateway is required.

/Petter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeielewe View Post
Okay hey folks, I searched Google with a few different key words and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm pretty new to marine electronics so please forgive me. My ancient depth sounder belongs in a museum, so I'm planning an upgrade. My question is; NMEA 2000 Transducer - Opencpn without a manufactures display? Is this do-able? I've gathered I would at least need a 2000 -> 0183 gateway so OpenCPN can play. Also, what's the deal with the "smart" designation I'm seeing on a few models?

Am I better off with this instead of dropping almost the same amount on a regular NMEA gateway? Same question though, do I need the manufacures display to make the system function?
Digital Yacht iKommunicate NMEA 0183 2000 to Signal K Gateway

Current hardware;
-Raspberry Pi3
-GPS dongle
-RTL-SDR

Software;
-Openplotter

Thanks,
-Scott
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Garmin part number 010-00702-01 is a NMEA 0183 depth and temperature transducer than can be connected direct to a computer running Opencpn - no NMEA 0183 to 2000 gateway is required.

/Petter
Just the info I was looking for. Thank you so much

Apparently the 702 model has been replaced with the NMEA 2000 701 model though. I better buy one before all the old ones are gobbled up!
goeielewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn