Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 00:29   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Tracker: AIS Feature Requests

Bdcat,
Thank you. Checking with skipper / owner and verifying equipment and nmea connections to opencpn. Will advise.

Also saw this post which is related I believe. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=123846

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 03:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Hi Bdcat, I am more than happy to help you get the AIS Sart functionality of OpenCPN defined and be a tester - have the equipment needed. I think the other chaps comment about AIS weather is related the use of AtoN AIS transponders to transmit local weather, tide or navigation data. There are some recommendations for the format of these binary messages but no standard as such. More than happy to advise on any aspects of AIS functionality just don't expect me to code unless you decide to rewrite OpenCPN in Visual Basic or Z80 assembler !
Old 13-04-2014, 03:15   #18
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Paul,

can you record the NMEA data stream (or do you have such a file) originated from an AIS SART? This would allow to simulate the device and then Dave can decide how he wants to test.

Thanks

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 04:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Paul,

can you record the NMEA data stream (or do you have such a file) originated from an AIS SART? This would allow to simulate the device and then Dave can decide how he wants to test.

Thanks

Hubert
Use AIS simulator
it is possible to simulate AIS weather data and more
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45pxlnvkrr..._Simulator.zip
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 05:44   #20
Marine Service Provider

Yes I have a number of AIS log files with SART test and real messages in them. I will send them to you tomorrow.
Old 13-04-2014, 15:03   #21

This is great! Thank you Paul, Baikal, and Ben and bdcat and pavel.
I have permission from skipper now I need to be sure I have nmea connection and can shield McMurdo PLB AIS Start from other boaters ais. Would a tin foil -aluminum foil dome with McMurdo PLB AIS + vhf antenna inside work? Or would reflections cause problems. Would ais signal escape this gaussian setup? Say about 18" - 24" dia.? Or do I just try notifying USCG and getting permission? SKipp says has to be done in remote area so no one there to pick up signal! Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks for your contributions to safety at sea. IMHO best opportunity for Mob retrieval is from those on your own boat, but they must be alerted, even with 2nd standby watchman.

Best Rick
Old 13-04-2014, 15:45   #22

Just found that you make arrangements with noaa and Afrcc since I would be setting of Copas - sarsat . They used a space blanket to limit signal for gps will that work for vhf signals too? I think so.
http://equipped.org/mcmurdofastfind.htm

Also search on McMurdo fast find plb, Ritter tested June 24, 2009 Panbo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2014, 16:07   #23

Panbo Article on AIS MOB
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: AIS MOB: Kannad SafeLink R10 & McMurdo SmartFind S10
talks about alerts.

About Vesper Watchmate features:
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Vesper WatchMate, hand's on #1

Shows
Type "A" Commercial vessels as a hollow traditional Arrow
Type "B" vessels as a hollow block boat shape
SAR and SART handling improved with popping up the SART ACTIVE notice,
with highest priority, and appearing as a different icon (circle with a cross)
and also with highest priority so they will always show up first in the target list and will be the first target when you press the next button. If more than on SART ordered by range with nearest first.

This is the type our skipper has McMurdo S20
http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/ais-mob...ais-mob-device

===
"Something I wanted to pass along... we've recently added SAR handling and improved SART too. In addition to popping up the SART ACTIVE notice, they will appear with a different icon (a circle with cross) and will also have the highest priority so they will always show up first in the target list and will be the first target when you press the NEXT button. If more than one SART then they are ordered by range with nearest first. BTW: I've found the priority scheme works quite nicely with the NEXT button. In most circumstances, even with lots of traffic, pressing the NEXT button to get to the first vessel brings up the one you want.
- See more at: Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Vesper WatchMate, hand's on #1
Old 13-04-2014, 16:27   #24

Quote:
Just found that you make arrangements with noaa and Afrcc since I would be setting of Copas - sarsat .
Not so sure about this, because it is using AIS!
Old 14-04-2014, 07:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

Hi Rick,

If you are going to test an AIS SART, you are better off doing it inland away from marine traffic. The SART needs to receive a GPS position to properly populate the MSG1 and MSG14 transmissions and also you want to be able to receive the transmission on your AIS receiver other wise you will not be able to log it.

Therefore trying to do the test in a home made Faraday cage or under a metallic blanket is going to be a nightmare.

I try and minimise the tests that we do and always call the Solent Coastguard and warn them that I am about to do a test - giving them the MMSI number of the SART and the time the test will start and finish.

All AIS SARTs have a test mode where they send out a special test transmission and this can be used to test a SART but the message formatting is different to a real AIS SART transmission.

I have sent Bdcat my log files and offered to do any testing he needs, so should be all set.
Old 14-04-2014, 07:58   #26
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_DY View Post
Hi Rick,

All AIS SARTs have a test mode where they send out a special test transmission and this can be used to test a SART but the message formatting is different to a real AIS SART transmission.

I have sent Bdcat my log files and offered to do any testing he needs, so should be all set.
Thanks Paul!

Does your data set include the messages from testing mode as well?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:13   #27
Marine Service Provider

Yes - I have sent a couple of sets of log files (taken at different times) with one "Real" and one "Test" mode log.
Old 14-04-2014, 13:36   #28

Paul, Thankyou for sending the files.
It appears your testing will be good to keep project going and completed.
Your observation about needing gps too is reasonable and the Faraday cage with ais antenna and plb ais might be a bit of a mess.

I am now wondering however about testing for system operation when bdcat gets the program running. Do you have any suggestions for us?
- I suppose we could test the software side with your files. Then verify that we are recieving AIS. Then to do a full device test we would want to set the device in test mode and call authorities with the mmsi number and time and duration of the test.
What would you think is reasonable? Is it reasonable to think that these devices are plug and play and running an actual test is not needed?

Thanks for helping bdcat with this!
Old 14-04-2014, 14:34   #29
Marine Service Provider

The log files are real recorded data so are as good as a real live test for development purposes but if a real live test is required then I would suggest doing this in land away from other AIS users.

An AIS SART transmits at 1W and so has a maximum line of sight transmit range is around 5NM. The best way to test OpenCPN will be to go >25NM in land and then let off the AIS SART. This will avoid any chance of the transmission being detected by the authorities but allow you to do a proper test with live GPS reception and proper AIS SART transmissions.

Failing that then a select limited number of tests could be done in coordination with the marine authorities in an area where there are not too many AIS users. In my experience they are quite accommodating and interested in what you are doing, but if you make a habit of it then I am sure they will soon start to lose their patience.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:25   #30
Marine Service Provider

Paul_DY....

re:"I have sent Bdcat my log files and offered to do any testing he needs, so should be all set."

I did not get these logs. Where sent?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais