Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-02-2015, 13:17   #16

Re: Track length measurement issue OpenCPN 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcoats View Post
Hi RhythmDoctor,
I agree that editing tracks in the way you describe is valuable in OpenCPN, but what I am highlighting is OpenCPN itself writing the track twice.

My experience with Garmin units is the same as yours - that they send an old position and a (sometimes long) leg to the new position - or nearby as it homes in to a good fix. I notice the same thing with the Globalsat unit I use - powering down OpenCPN or going into standby with an anchor alarm set will commonly trigger the anchor alarm when you power up again.

While it could well be tidied up by editing the double writing behaviour to the track record I observe must relate to my setup alone (which I doubt) or be more widespread at least with OpenCPN 4.0

My question - and Pavel's - is are there others out there seeing the same thing?

Cheers
Ted
The double-track issue does seem to be a bug. You are correct in pointing out that it is different from what I described. I've (almost) never used track recording in OpenCPN, so I can't comment on it. I always keep a Garmin handheld running as a backup, and I pull the tracks off of that after the fact for viewing in OpenCPN.

I may try playing some VDR recordings with track mode on to see if it duplicates what you are seeing.

Old 13-02-2015, 14:16   #17

Boat: Dufour 35

Pavel

I did a parallel test with WinXP, where there was no problem. XP behaved correctly. So, I only see this problem on my Linux 64 box.
I'll try my 32 bit Linux tomorrow.

Thomas

Old 15-02-2015, 23:48   #18

Hi All,
Is there anything I can do with my own installation to shed some light on this? I have assumed that there isn't anything - but if there is anything productive please suggest...

I assume that a Track as displayed in the Route and Mark Manager window is generated on the fly - otherwise it would not be possible to change the Leg 0 length by moving the boat position - or importing the GPX file to someone else's OpenCPN installation with a different boat location.

It should therefore be possible to see the actual GPS position listing from which the Track is computed for display purposes. I note the GPS positions in the Logfile - in my case at half hourly intervals. These all make complete sense.

Cheers
Ted
Old 16-02-2015, 06:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcoats View Post
Hi All,
Is there anything I can do with my own installation to shed some light on this? I have assumed that there isn't anything - but if there is anything productive please suggest...

I assume that a Track as displayed in the Route and Mark Manager window is generated on the fly - otherwise it would not be possible to change the Leg 0 length by moving the boat position - or importing the GPX file to someone else's OpenCPN installation with a different boat location.

It should therefore be possible to see the actual GPS position listing from which the Track is computed for display purposes. I note the GPS positions in the Logfile - in my case at half hourly intervals. These all make complete sense.

Cheers
Ted
There is no Leg 0 in a track. The first line of the properties listing (marked "---") is not part of the track. It simply shows distance and bearing from your boat's current position to the first point on the track. That's why it changes when you move your boat's position.

But if you look in the "Statistics" section, total distance of the track is not affected by your boat's position. The first line is not part of the track.

Tags
enc, men, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: