Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06   #31

Re: TABLETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
...for now I'd steer clear of openCPN until they get it to a useable state. I have a core i7 laptop and every time I try to move around the charts its constantly recalcuating or something!

Most of us here consider OpenCPN to be in a "useable state," especially on a laptop. Sounds like you may have a configuration problem. You might want to try fixing your problem, and if you have a genuine bug, report it so our very responsible developers can address it.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12   #32
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I have a core i7 laptop and every time I try to move around the charts its constantly recalcuating or something!

only down side is SeaIQ costs $24 but you can talk to the developers who DO take suggestions!
For that please the OS (Win something I suppose) and the version used.
Which charts? If there are persistent problems then we would need the opencpn.ini file and perhaps the log file.
You will find the location of those when using the help function ("? button).

I've got the impression that you might have overseen the debate about tablets and OpenCPN we had here.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...een-38087.html

The actual beta 3.3.1606 does implement some of the ideas and suggestions.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38   #33

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Tablets

not to hijack this thread, but every time I move the chart in open CPN I get a window "OpenCPN S57 SENC file Create..." this happens every time I move th chart, makes the software largely unusable as i spend my time waiting for these windows to close! SeaIQ and fugawi using the same chart files have no issues.

might be a config issue (documentation here would help)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:48   #34
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

You had a look into the manual?
OpenCPN User Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage
(also at the help button of OpenCPN)

and here perhaps:
The Command Line | Official OpenCPN Homepage

The issue of a bulk import has been discussed, but does not to be seen as a bigger concern for the most of the users.
Feel free to have a look at the bug tracker/Feature requests.

OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist

And if you have more questions, just ask - this forum is quite responsive.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:52   #35

Boat: Phantom 19

pcmm...
Every ENC chart is converted exactly once to the internal SENC format when you see it first time for performance reasons, which takes some time. Any subsequent view of the chart is almost instant. If it's not the case for you and the same chart is ingested every time you try to view it, there is a problem with your local configuration.
To help you resolve it, we need more info as bcn already told you.
The documentation at Installing Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage is usually enough.
To begin with, I would try a smaller subset of charts, especially making sure my set does not contain several copies of the same chart, perhaps from different editions.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:53   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

thanks I looked through the manual and didnt see any reference to this behaviour, however from searching this forum it seems like normal behaviour and there are other threads mentioning how to deal with this as a batch process, the problem is it makes the software cumbersome out of the box. guess i was thinking that this would be a bit more like other apps I've used I'm a tech by vocation but don't like having to batch process and command line things out of the gate, to me that's a band-aid. any way I'll look at trying to do all of this "pre-processing"
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:13   #37

Boat: Phantom 19

pcmm...
You don't have to do any command line pre-processing and we suggest you don't. In case you have a problem and your charts get ingested every time you view them, it will not help you with anything anyway and you will just waste time and burn some electricity.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 17:19   #38

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

pcmm,

I assume you know about Options > Charts Tab > Look at the bottom for Update Control. There are two check buttons
--Scan charts and update database
--Force Full Database Rebuild

I suggest you pre-process the charts you use in your area by using one of these buttons to create the Senc files.. It will take a little while, but afterward your charts will load very fast without pause.

--I hope this helps.

--By the way, I believe it is common for many nav programs to have to create Senc files, unless the program requires its own chart type which is distributed, like Maxsea, etc.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 17:47   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have an ASUS Vivo Tab Smart with OpenCPN, Canadian raster charts and some NOAA vector and raster charts.

It stays below. I prefer to use the Mark I eyeball on deck. I do not like "driving by video screen."

Of course, my main charts are paper.
I use all available means to keep watch, including electronic, as required by Rule 5.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 18:02   #40

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by masera.martin View Post
Hello, I just bought my first boat. Steel Hull 36, Boden germain, and im about to start sailing arround Withsunday islands, in Airlie Beach, Australia. I have and old GPS but i would like to get a tablet for sailing. I don t have much money cause i have short budget. Someone can recomend me some modest tablet that could run the sowftware and charts? Thanks! I m thinking in one with android operator. Ipad i think is more expensive...
Any advise would be really helpfull.

Oh Boy do I feel sorry for this OP Its his first time on here and its his first boat and he ends up with the Tech Nerds having a feast Hey Guys I love the fact that we all get so much from CF but give the guy a go!!!! he has small budget is just getting started so help him out Like "Boracay" and "hogHunter" with simple things. He has said he will be in the Whitsunday Islands ( only 2/3Hrs between anchorages ) lot of nav is by visual he is going to enjoy some thing like an Ebay android tablet with GPS and Navionics App and that would be a wonderful start and may fit his budget.

I will be in the Whitsundays by the end of this month so Masera. Martin give me a G`day when you see me if you need some help Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I use all available means to keep watch, including electronic, as required by Rule 5.
Staring at a chartplotter or tablet will not help you avoid collisions which is the intent of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea. Other vessels do not show up on a chartplotter. Even a AIS will not help much as few vessels are equipped with a transponder.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote