Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 20:01   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Tablet with built in GPS.

I just bought an Acer Switch 10 that has a built in GPS in it. I've installed Open CPN and installed my CM93 charts but have no clue if the built in GPS works with the program. I do have externally connected GPSs that I can hook up but would sure like to use the built in one.
Any one know if it's possible and if so, how to go about enabling it?
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 21:33   #2

Boat: Dufour 45 Classic
Re: Tablet with built in GPS.

I have OpenCPN working on Asus Tablet and on my Samsung S3 phone. First I suggest that you should check that you have your onboard gps up and running. You do this outside of OpenCPN through the devices settings. I downloaded an app for free called GPS Data this app will show visible satellites and Lat/Lon. Having established you have GPS then load openCPN and go through settings (Crescent Spanner Icon) and set the charts by adding the directory where your chart are stored, mine are kept on the storage chip. Scan the charts through the same screen. Now go to "Connections" also from settings and see if Data Connections show ON as selected, type as GPS, Prio as 1, I/O as Inpu, Filters as IN:None; Out:None. Then click apply and check it out. It may take a few moments before you see your ship turn Red and you GPS icon turn green with at least a couple of bars up. If this does not work then you may need to reinstall. Like I say it works for me with both Raster and cm93. Good Luck Ted
TedElixirNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 22:06   #3

Sorry to be so dense but I'm into the Connections area and see nothing about being "ON" I've got the General box with it's separate boxes for checking off.
Then under the big box, it says "Add Connection". Is that where I go to add the GPS?
If I tell it to add a connection, it pops up the serial/ Network dots and then the rest. Is that where I make sure it's on.
As you can tell, I'm not the most computer savvy person on the net.
thanks for the help
Bill
Old 25-11-2015, 22:13   #4

I am assuming that you are in your Tablet's settings menu so if you look down the list there should be a item called "Location Services" if you select that then you will see if you have to select "GPS Satellites" if not then maybe you do not have GPS. Give it a shot. Ted
Old 25-11-2015, 23:44   #5

First of all, I'm using Windows 10 for what it's worth. I got in under settings and it's listed as "Location" and yes it is turned on as far as I can see.
Old 26-11-2015, 00:11   #6

Ok so we have established that you have GPS and that it is turned on. When I spent a couple of frustrating weeks with no results during which time I tried everything that I could through opencpn to get it to see the gps that I gave up and reinstalled a different version of openCPN off google apps and then it fired up and has been working ever since. The moral of this story is give up early especially if you are not a guru and uninstall then install again a couple of times as I do not know what it is but it worked for me. You can firs though try i CPN settings to see what is going on by activating "show NMEA Debug Window" if the window does not show lot of action then your version is not seeing your GPS and there is probably stuff all that you can do to fix it other than reinstall. I am running version 4.0.0 on my laptops both win 10 and win 7 with external gps but on Android version 1.0.5 I am running opencpn Android version 4.1.1028. I am sorry that I am unable to be more pecific. Good luck I will be watching to see how you get on. Ted
Old 26-11-2015, 00:54   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The Win10 GPS is not a serial device and thus not accessible directly from a COM port.
There is a location API in Windows and if you search the forum you will find a solution with a small intermediate program to receive the data from the internal GPS as a NMEA serial data stream.

Here an entry from the OCPN manual:

GPS Geolocation for Win8 GNSS Sensor | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Rhythmdoctor has written comments about this IIRC.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 00:57   #8

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The Win10 GPS is not a serial device and thus not accessible directly from a COM port.
There is a location API in Windows and if you search the forum you will find a solution with a small intermediate program to receive the data from the internal GPS as a NMEA serial data stream.

Here an entry from the OCPN manual:

GPS Geolocation for Win8 GNSS Sensor | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Rhythmdoctor has written comments about this IIRC.

I think they are discussing Android OS
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 00:59   #9
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
I think they are discussing Android OS
No - Win10 see here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1971736

Acer Switch 10:
http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-switch-10/
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 01:01   #10

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Missed that.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:26   #11

Thanks for the help but it's still not up and running the internal GPS. I installed the Geolocation TCP-r6.exe and it came up fine but made no difference. It did show that my GPS was just fine and giving me accurate positions. I tried for the GeolocationTCP.exe.config but couldn't get to open as the computer wanted some way to open the "config" program. I;m making headway but still haven't arrived.
But, thanks for all you help. Any more would be appreciated. For what it's worth, the Garmin hockey puck GPS does just fine but I'd sure like to do away with it and it's cord since it's got a built in GPS.
Old 06-12-2015, 20:57   #12

After installing the side program so that the GPS can talk to Open CPN, the GPS indicator in the top right corner and the boat icon with turn from grey to red for a few seconds before returning to grey. Not sure what it means but figured I should pass on that info incase it matters.
Old 06-12-2015, 21:15   #13

I use Centrafuse Localizer.

The key for it and Geolocation is to right click and run the program as administrator.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 22:29   #14

I got into the geolocation program and made me the "administrator" and the same thing happened when I opened Open CPN. The ball in the top right goes from red to green and the boat icon goes from grey to red. I deleted the connection and re entered just in case changing me over to admit made any difference. It still did the same thing as before. This little computer doesn't want to play nice.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:54   #15

Any one have any more suggestions as to how to get the built in GPS to work with Open CPN? What I've done so far just isn't getting it going.

Tags
gps