Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 16:21   #1
bgs

Synchronize Routes between OpenCPN Desktop and OpenCPN Android Tablets

Hi there,
I'm very happy with both desktop and Android version of OpenCPN. I'm using the desktop while planning the routes, and the waterproof Sony Tablet at the Helm. I'm able to download GPX with the route and using USB cable between desktop and tablet I can copy the GPX file from desktop til tablet and upload GPX into the android version of OenCPN. But it would be easier to be able to use WIFI when connected to the same local network. Have this feature been developed or is it planned for the next version ?.

Best regards BGS
bgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 16:44   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Synchronize Routes between OpenCPN Desktop and OpenCPN Android Tablets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgs View Post
Hi there,
I'm very happy with both desktop and Android version of OpenCPN. I'm using the desktop while planning the routes, and the waterproof Sony Tablet at the Helm. I'm able to download GPX with the route and using USB cable between desktop and tablet I can copy the GPX file from desktop til tablet and upload GPX into the android version of OenCPN. But it would be easier to be able to use WIFI when connected to the same local network. Have this feature been developed or is it planned for the next version ?.

Best regards BGS
Neither developed, nor planned. Feel free to file a feature request at OpenCPN::OpenCPNAll Projects: Tasklist
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:47   #3

Re: Synchronize Routes between OpenCPN Desktop and OpenCPN Android Tablets

I think that the feature that you are requesting is best accomplished in the OS, separate from OpenCPN. You basically want to synchronize your .gpx files between your computer and the Android device. You can currently do this by hooking up with a USB cable and using a sync utility in windows, but you would like to do it by Wifi instead. There are literally DOZENS of products that will do this for you. There isn't anything special about this - lots of people want to do this very thing with spreadsheets, text files, powerpoint, etc.

My advice is to keep OpenCPN simple and pick a synchronization tool that will do this for you. You might find that one of the cloud services is the best way to get this done. Then your computer and Android device can be many miles away from each other and you still accomplish it. Each would synchronize with your route directory in the cloud.

FWIW, I keep all my nav data (charts, routes, tracks, waypoints) on a microSD card, pull it out of my tablet and insert it in my PC. I run a Microsoft synctoy to synchronize the two, then put the microSD card back in the tablet. But that's just one way to do it. USB cable, Wifi, or cloud would all work, probably even better. (I've been doing this for about 7 years, before cloud and AOCPN were widely available. I'm just locked into my old, obsolete way of doing it.)

Tags
desktop, enc, opencpn, route