Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 21:52   #16

Re: Some More Copyright Things (based on Debian Inclusion Reject)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
You are correct. The"source" svg files->png files->icons.cpp/icons.h are all included in OpenCPN's copyright, and covered by GPLv2+.
ok, duly recorded, which finishes this pass of the audit. Probably we should do one more before resubmitting to make sure that nothing was missed, but my batteries are running a bit low for that today.

Quote:
We could, of course, modify png2wx.pl to prepend a GPL header. Would this be useful?
AFAIK (which runs about 50%) it's enough to just have anomalies documented in the debian/copyright file. Often you'd just have a sweeping "Files: src/* License: GPLv2" coverall, but since OpenCPN has such a diverse code base it's harder to get away with those generalizations.

Quote:
I appreciate all the fussing around with this that you have done, and are doing.
Well, they're moving to machine-readable copyright files and the lousy computers don't let you get away with skipping over things. :-) To be honest Anton did most of the work for the copyright stuff, I'm just tying up loose ends.

fyi, the automated audit tool used here was 'licensecheck' which comes with the debian/ubuntu devscripts package,
Code:
licensecheck `find` | grep -v ': GPL \|: LGPL ' > nongpl_lic_files.txt
There's another program Anton was using called 'fossology' but it is temporarily uninstallable in Debian/Sid & so I'm not sure right now if it would find anything extra.

Quote:
Is it time to submit 3.0 to the "Spanish inquisition"?
Since we are 98% of the way there with the 2.5 pkg I'd suggest to keep pressing ahead with that. Uploading new versions after we are through the door should require clearing significantly lower hurdles. The soft-freeze for the next Debian/stable might happen as soon as this week and I'm a little nervous that if we miss that deadline it will be another 6 months before we get the chance again to upload a new package.

regards,
Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copyright