Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 15:54   #31
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Sharing kap Files made from GE into OpenCpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
Acting as devils advocate Google will care if their images are distributed and distributing images overlaid with cmap 93 charts clearly violates the cmap 93 copyright. Do you believe in deja vu . Centrally store all the hard work and someone Google and/or Jeppeson will demand a shutdown. I know i am a hypocrite but would hate to see the NGA situation repeat. By all means share but beware centrally sharing or keep it descreet and securely backed somewhere else.

I will now get down off my high horse

richard
Yep, that's why I won't offer space on my web site.

IMO the best way is for everyone to create a torrent of their own files. After a while, the files will be all over the place. Then, people can post links to the torrents wherever they want. Free storage that doesn't expire.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 00:44   #32

Boat: Norman Cross 46

Quote:
Acting as devils advocate Google will care if their images are distributed and distributing images overlaid with cmap 93 charts clearly violates the cmap 93 copyright. Do you believe in deja vu . Centrally store all the hard work and someone Google and/or Jeppeson will demand a shutdown. I know i am a hypocrite but would hate to see the NGA situation repeat. By all means share but beware centrally sharing or keep it descreet and securely backed somewhere else.

richard
Point well made ... and you are correct ... we better make sure we don't do anything that would give a good reason to shut down our sharing project!

Funny how we see 2 diverging movements in the world right now: more people like to share their work with the rest of us and then you have the group that makes it's money from selling their knowledge! Both sides have perfectly valid arguments! I, personally, look forward to a new society where one can freely share his ideas, research with everyone so we all progress much faster, without in any way have any negative repercussion on their own finances! But I am just rambling here! That nobody gets excited by my thoughts! If you agree, just think about it and it will eventually come true!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52   #33

Boat: Steel, Regina, Holland, 8.70

Quote:

richard
I do not think that CM93 or GE may have any copyright on the shared new chartlets. Because they will be new, another product than CM93 or GE.
boraxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 16:47   #34

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

My sense of self preservation is going to over-ride my desire to share with my boating brethren. I do not want to put myself in a position where I might ultimately have to defend myself in court against charges of stealing and disseminating the intellectual property of a giant, humorless corporation.

With that said, anyone can do the same thing that I have done. Making the kaps was easy. Researching/gathering all of the "other" data, pics, reading material, histories and other geeky junk was the hard part and is what took 90% of my time throughout the process. Preparing for no internet is serious business!

To Lucseawalker -
I do admire your Dorothy-esque recommendation. How good it would be to be able to change a system based on greed by merely thinking differently. You and I will not be around when it happens but it will happen. The age of Aquarius, even it's title sounds beautiful!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 17:06   #35

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

Another good idea has died. Why ???
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 17:17   #36

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Another good idea has died. Why ???
Fear. Sad but true.

It is kinda early to call it dead. There might be some brave souls who are willing to take the chances that I am not. If I met you on the dock instead of a forum like this one I might have a somewhat different attitude.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:54   #37

Boat: Prout G55

Hey guys,is there any way of doing this GE -> kap stuff without using windows? From what I'm seeing its designed to run on windows? Maybe I've missed something?
globalkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:58   #38

Boat: Phantom 19

keith...
You are not missing anything, Google Earth is a Windows-only application. You may try your luck with Wine, but looking at WineHQ - Google Earth I would probably install a Win virtual machine...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 02:26   #39

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalkeith View Post
Hey guys,is there any way of doing this GE -> kap stuff without using windows? From what I'm seeing its designed to run on windows? Maybe I've missed something?
All the automated tools, GE2KAP and the GE plugin and so on, only works with windows. But ... there is nothing stopping you from, turning on the grid in GE, save a view as a picture, and then manually convert it to a kap chart. Same procedure as with all chart pictures.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 07:47   #40

Boat: 29'

globalkeith,

maybe this will help ...
Exploring Google Maps

added you will need the screengrab plugin for firefox

http://www.screengrab.org/

more up and down hereabouts
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post661844
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 17:54   #41

Re: sharing kap files made from GE into OpenCpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
I took it a step further and have downloaded wiki pages, seadot pages, picasa pictures, google pictures, old charts and other interesting tidbits for every island and country.
Hi Jim,

What are these "seadot" pages you're talking about?

thanks
Old 23-04-2012, 01:58   #42

thanks HappySeagull, spent all day on trying to get something useful out of imgkap, but all i can come up with is:

ERROR - KML no GroundOverlay or more one
ERROR - imgkap return 2

Any ideas anyone?
Old 23-04-2012, 03:26   #43

keith...
It would be much easier to help you if you described your workflow. What exactly are you trying to do?
My idea is pretty simple - you supply imgkap with a KML file not containing a GroundOverlay object or containing more than one of them. Not very helpful, is it? I will have a much better one if I see that file and the parameters you are using to invoke imgkap with...

Pavel
Old 23-04-2012, 04:05   #44

Hi Pavel,

So from reading on the forums here's where I'm at.

Ultimately I would like to create a few kap files with Google Earth images of specific ports for use in opencpn.

To achieve that I've tried using Exploring Google Maps page suggested earlier, saving the image and using

$ imgkap 1335164852889.png -8.427844047546387 41.59663816589289 -8.462176322937012 41.57737908284747 mykap.kap

but I get an error about image size being incorrect :

ERROR - size of image is not correct
Extend widthin 1600 heightin 1200 to widthout 1600 heightout 2865
ERROR - imgkap return 2

So I'm now trying with Mobile Atlas Creator (version 1.8) generating kmz files, which I then extract to produce a bunch of images (pngs) and a doc.kml file.

I'm then trying:

imgkap doc.kml

and thats where I get that error - I did try reducing the GroundOverlay nodes to just 1 file, but still get that error.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

thanks in advance...
Old 23-04-2012, 08:45   #45

keith...
I'm afraid all your problem is you switched latitude and longitude values of the corners. For that default EGM view you probably used, the correct command would be
Code:
imgkap  1335164852889.png 41.59663816589289 -8.462176322937012 41.57737908284747 -8.427844047546387 mykap.kap
Pavel

Tags
opencpn