Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2019, 07:05   #1

Sending routes to Raymarine Evolution autopilots

My autopilot Raymarine Evolution, ACU 200, EV-1, P70 control unit and RS130 GPS are connected to a SeaTalkng network. A SeaTalk network with wind, depth and log is connected to the SeaTalkng network through a ST-STng converter.

I have tried to connect OpenCPN in my Win 10 laptop to the autopilot through a Actisense NGW-1 USB converter and a SeaTalkng/NMEA2000 cable. I want the autopilot to follow routes set up in OpenCPN.

The Connections Output Port has been configured to send ECRMB, ECRMC and ECAPB NMEA sentences to the Auto Pilot. The route has been activated. In the autopilot control unit P70 I can see that the autopilot has received data like bearing and distance to the first wpt and XTE is 0. Wpt name is missing. Why? After pushing the Follow route button on the autopilot control unit nothing happens and I get an error message: XTE error. What is described above is done with the boat lying in the harbour. I have also tried to send XTE with the same result. No confusing plotter is connected.

Itīs a disappointment that OpenCPN doesnīt support NMEA 2000.

Anybody out there having an idea what to do?
Thanks/Jan
jnorlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 13:35   #2

Boat: Aphrodite 34
Re: Sending routes to Raymarine Evolution autopilots

Short answer since I’m on my phone but the simplest solution is to buy a WiFi gateway that handles the NMEA conversion. I use Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 gateway. Works like a charm when sending info to the auto pilot.
SYSkidbladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 14:23   #3

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYSkidbladner View Post
Short answer since I’m on my phone but the simplest solution is to buy a WiFi gateway that handles the NMEA conversion. I use Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 gateway. Works like a charm when sending info to the auto pilot.
I have one of those Wifi senders via my Vesper AIS - can I really create a route in OpenCPN and send it to the plotter (RM Axiom) over the N2K?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 14:54   #4
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYSkidbladner View Post
That will make no difference whatsoever the conversion should be the same regardless of the hardware. This is a configuration issue.

I'm not sure that you can send a whole 'route', but I haven't looked into it.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 14:58   #5
Moo

I don't think the whole route gets uploaded so there will be no route in the Raymarine to follow. What happens if you just press 'auto' or choose to go to a WP?

Upload a file here showing the output NMEA sentances from the NMEA debug window and I'll have a look.

What software version are you running on the NGW and how have you configured it?
Old 21-07-2019, 00:08   #6

Boat: Ovni 385

The Evolution pilot does not read routes. For the "Track" mode it only needs information on the current segment of the route. And it wants a GPS position and variation. To make this work with an Actisense NGW-1 OpenCPN should send the following sentences to the NGW-1:
APB, GLL, GNS, VTG, XTE, RMB, RMC, GLL. Maybe not all of these are required, but this set seems to be enough. It seems you are missing the APB.

Then you should use the "Actisense toolkit" to configure your NGW-1: Select your device in the left pane. Then click to load the configuration from the device.
In the NMEA0183 tab tick the above mentioned sentences for receive. In the NMEA2000 tab tick the following sentences for Tx:
129033, 129044, 129283, 129284,129291, 129540, 130577. Again, not all of these sentences may be needed. And add the info you might also need, like wind or depth. Then click the button to upload the new configuration to your device.

With these settings the Track function works, at least with me.

But, I do not like the Track function. When at the start the boat is exactly on track (XTE = 0) the pilot still heavily goes off track first to find out the best course. Later it will stabilize nicely on the track. And often I lack the searoom to let the pilot steer in the wrong direction at the beginning. Also I hate to press the confirm each time again at every waypoint.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 11:15   #7

Boat: Fantasi 37

Hi, I have mine connected and working sending WPT to go to. You cant make it work laying still in habour, you have to make speed. Put boat on a course close to bearing shown when you activate first WPT and after that "set XTE to 0". Go to the control panel for P70 and push the dot button and after that the Menu buten to accept the course change. When reaching wpt the Autopilote will start a sound and then you just push Menue button to accept next WPT.

Good luck
Old 22-07-2019, 07:25   #8

Thank you for all answers!

Douwe Fokkema! Thank you for your comprehensive answer!
I followed the OpenCPN instructions which said that ECRMB, ECRMC and ECAPB should be sent to the autopilot. I also tried to send XTE. ECAPB = APB. Is it really necessary to configure the NGW-1? If so you must do the same configuratin both in OpenCPN and in NGW-1. Should the OpenCPN instructions in the handbook be changed?
I donīt understand why the boat goes off track when you start following a route. It shouldnīt happen if you have reset XTE. I have for many years used Coastal Explorer to control the autopilot and there are no such problems. Why doesnīt OpenCPN show Heading (HDG) when the boat isnīt moving and why canīt I se the WPT name in the autopilot control unit?

Moo, I didnīt make any configuration of the NGW-1. The data seemed to be available in the autopilot anyway. I thrust that Windows keep NGW-1 firmware updated as said in the instruction.

OlleH, your solution seems to be the most simple and I will try it when I sail next time. Have you got an explanation why the WPT name isnīt shown in the P70 and why OpenCPN doesnīt show heading (HDG) when the boat is lying in the harbour. Coastal Explorer does. I suppose the information comes from the autopilot compass EV-1.
Best regards
Jan
Old 22-07-2019, 09:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleH View Post
Hi, I have mine connected and working sending WPT to go to. You cant make it work laying still in habour, you have to make speed. Put boat on a course close to bearing shown when you activate first WPT and after that "set XTE to 0". Go to the control panel for P70 and push the dot button and after that the Menu buten to accept the course change. When reaching wpt the Autopilote will start a sound and then you just push Menue button to accept next WPT.

Good luck
OlleH, your solution seems to be the most simple and I will try it when I sail next time. Have you got an explanation why the WPT name isnīt shown in the P70 and why OpenCPN doesnīt show heading (HDG) when the boat is lying in the harbour. Coastal Explorer does. I suppose the information comes from the autopilot compass EV-1.
Best regards
Jan
Old 22-07-2019, 09:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
The Evolution pilot does not read routes. For the "Track" mode it only needs information on the current segment of the route. And it wants a GPS position and variation. To make this work with an Actisense NGW-1 OpenCPN should send the following sentences to the NGW-1:
APB, GLL, GNS, VTG, XTE, RMB, RMC, GLL. Maybe not all of these are required, but this set seems to be enough. It seems you are missing the APB.

Then you should use the "Actisense toolkit" to configure your NGW-1: Select your device in the left pane. Then click to load the configuration from the device.
In the NMEA0183 tab tick the above mentioned sentences for receive. In the NMEA2000 tab tick the following sentences for Tx:
129033, 129044, 129283, 129284,129291, 129540, 130577. Again, not all of these sentences may be needed. And add the info you might also need, like wind or depth. Then click the button to upload the new configuration to your device.

With these settings the Track function works, at least with me.

But, I do not like the Track function. When at the start the boat is exactly on track (XTE = 0) the pilot still heavily goes off track first to find out the best course. Later it will stabilize nicely on the track. And often I lack the searoom to let the pilot steer in the wrong direction at the beginning. Also I hate to press the confirm each time again at every waypoint.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema! Thank you for your comprehensive answer!
I followed the OpenCPN instructions which said that ECRMB, ECRMC and ECAPB should be sent to the autopilot. I also tried to send XTE. ECAPB = APB. Is it really necessary to configure the NGW-1? If so you must do the same configuratin both in OpenCPN and in NGW-1. Should the OpenCPN instructions in the handbook be changed?
I donīt understand why the boat goes off track when you start following a route. It shouldnīt happen if you have reset XTE. I have for many years used Coastal Explorer to control the autopilot and there are no such problems. Why doesnīt OpenCPN show Heading (HDG) when the boat isnīt moving and why canīt I se the WPT name in the autopilot control unit?
Old 22-07-2019, 09:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I don't think the whole route gets uploaded so there will be no route in the Raymarine to follow. What happens if you just press 'auto' or choose to go to a WP?

Upload a file here showing the output NMEA sentances from the NMEA debug window and I'll have a look.

What software version are you running on the NGW and how have you configured it?
Moo, I didnīt make any configuration of the NGW-1. The data seemed to be available in the autopilot anyway. I thrust that Windows keep NGW-1 firmware updated as said in the instruction.
Old 25-07-2019, 08:45   #12

Boat: Fantasi 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorlin View Post
Best regards
Jan

You can set the source on the P70 for GPS etc(Multiple data sources). That was one of my problems when connecting the Ocpn routes the first time. I do not have the name of my route or WPT in my P70 either. Do not know if there is a possibility to show it there. On the Ocpn you see the active WPT blinking and that is the information I use. I dont need it on the P70. On the other hand on the menue of the P70 you can choose what you want to have shown as information, maybe WPT-name as well but I dont think so. I have not checked. I am sending ECAPB, ECXTE as the important ones, maybe some more. I have EC marked in the menue as well as APB and XTE in the choise menue.

For showing HDG on Ocpn you might need to have speed or a separate compass as far as I know.
Old 25-07-2019, 15:22   #13
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorlin View Post
Thank you for all answers!

Best regards
Jan

You don't answer any of the questions asked or provide any data though... therefore it is somewhat difficult to help you.

Is the NGW passing heading data from the STng network to OCPN? Post a dump of the output of the NMEA debug screen from OCPN showing everything received so that we can point you in the right direction.

Chris

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, route