Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 08:20   #196
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Sean Depagnier's Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

I will try listening to 518khz but so far I am not hearing anything but static.
As the stations are using 10min long time slots in a 4 hour period you will need to listen in this given moment.
Time table here:
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/navtex.htm
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31   #197

I've gotten Open Version 4.1.427 Build 2015-04-27 to compile with Peter's current weatherfax_pi under OSX 10.10 and Apple's compile environment (not gcc-5.0.1 which I also tried) and 10.10 as the target. (Might not be interesting for release, but I don't have the 10.7 environment handy.)

$ /usr/bin/cc -v
Apple LLVM version 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.49) (based on LLVM 3.6.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0

First, all I can say is "Wow!" After downloading a few faxes and forecasts and figuring out the alignment procedure, it's amazing how they just seem to belong in OpenCPN. I've always wanted to zoom and pan my weather charts; this is a great way to do it. Finding the GFS model run that matches a forecast sure gives a pretty picture:

(1) (Documentation) Is there a guide with details for developing under OSX? I had to guess/experiment/Google/Forum Troll for a few hours before achieving success.

(2) (Comment) If I remember, the advantage of the Pactor is that it digitizes the audio and presents it over a USB audio device - which is cleaner and more reliable than the headphone jack and is how many nav PCs are hooked to SSBs on "vessels of a certain vintage".

(3) (Feature Request) Since many (all?) of the Internet sites produce charts with constant coordinates, shouldn't it be possible to ship pre-configured alignment?

(4) (Comment) Is there a real advantage to using the TIFF images instead of the smaller JPEGs?

(5) (Feature Request) Could the "Fax retrieved less than 180 minutes ago" dialog have a "Yes to All" option?

(6) (OSX-specific bug) My preferences/configuration is in ~/Library/Preferences/plugins/weatherfax/ - shouldn't there be an OpenCPN in the path (~/Library/Preferences/OpenCPN/plugins/weatherfax/)?

(7) (Bug?) Two charts are mapping to the same line in CoordinateSets.xml meaning that when I get one aligned it knocks the other off. Should they use something more unique (like the URL) for matching? -
<Map Url="P_sfc_full_ocean.jpg" Contents="Pacific ocean Analysis" Area="1" />
<Map Url="P_sfc_full_ocean_color.png" Contents="Pacific ocean Analysis - color" Area="1" />

map to

<Coordinate Name="NOAA Ocean Prediction Center - Pacific - 1" X1="121" Y1="263" Lat1="60.00000" Lon1="140.00000" X2="2520" Y2="1581" Lat2="20.00000" Lon2="-120.00000" Mapping="Mercator" MappingMultiplier="1.0000" MappingRatio="1.0000" />

(8) (Feature request) Nudging the red and green lines to their proper spots is so easy and accurate with the arrow buttons - but could you reverse the buttons (or swap the icons) so the down arrow moves the line down and the up arrow moves it up? Right/left arrows for longitude would offer another visual clue. Labelling them "Upper Left" and "Lower Right" might clarify things.

(9) (Feature request) Saving the downloaded material in multiple directories by date/model run instead of overwriting would be great, but would require baking the update schedule in somehow.

(10) (Nit) In WeatherFaxInternetRetrieval.xml under Pt Reyes
<Map Url="PWBI10.TIF" Contents="8HR SURFACE FORECAST" Area="1" />
should be
<Map Url="PWBI10.TIF" Contents="48HR SURFACE FORECAST" Area="1" />

Wow, wow, thank you very much.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 16:25   #198

Boat: Valiant 42

I am not the developer but I do have an interest in seeing Pactor supported by the plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogmachine View Post
(2) (Comment) If I remember, the advantage of the Pactor is that it digitizes the audio and presents it over a USB audio device - which is cleaner and more reliable than the headphone jack and is how many nav PCs are hooked to SSBs on "vessels of a certain vintage".
Basically that's right. The Pactor does some of the heavy lifting and hands over the audio but it is already gain controlled and leveled. It also avoids the problem of breaking open the radio and soldering wires for radios without mini headphone jacks. And a big bonus is that you can adjust the volume or mute the radio and the Pactor still works. Makes for a much quieter morning for the off watch crew. The Pactor also can control frequency of the radio which makes is possible to have fully unattended operation with best choice of frequency for the time of day and year.
Quote:
(3) (Feature Request) Since many (all?) of the Internet sites produce charts with constant coordinates, shouldn't it be possible to ship pre-configured alignment?
I think many (most?) people get their grib files using saildocs email service. The coordinates are whatever the user asks for in that case.

Quote:
(4) (Comment) Is there a real advantage to using the TIFF images instead of the smaller JPEGs?
I think there is some advantage. TIFF is a format that can be lossless which is good for black and white images like weather fax. I don't think there is a truly lossless JPEG format.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27   #199

I was able to build the weatherfax plugin for OSX with the portaudio libraries linked successfully.
I just created a pull request for Sean.
I also tried to clean up the windows display under OSX.
Not completely successful there. The "Weather Fax Image" and "Fax Decoding Options" windows are still acting strange.

I also found that if you try to change the Sample Rate in the Options window
while the weather caption is still running the system will crash.
This is under OSX and Linux.

I cannot test the real audio capture as I don't have a radio.
I also assume that the program is capturing the audio from the microphone plug??

Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:32   #200

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
I've gotten Open Version 4.1.427 Build 2015-04-27 to compile with Peter's current weatherfax_pi under OSX 10.10 and Apple's compile environment (not gcc-5.0.1 which I also tried) and 10.10 as the target. (Might not be interesting for release, but I don't have the 10.7 environment handy.)

$ /usr/bin/cc -v
Apple LLVM version 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.49) (based on LLVM 3.6.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0

First, all I can say is "Wow!" After downloading a few faxes and forecasts and figuring out the alignment procedure, it's amazing how they just seem to belong in OpenCPN. I've always wanted to zoom and pan my weather charts; this is a great way to do it. Finding the GFS model run that matches a forecast sure gives a pretty picture:

(1) (Documentation) Is there a guide with details for developing under OSX? I had to guess/experiment/Google/Forum Troll for a few hours before achieving success.
I don't think so but maybe you can update the wiki?
Quote:
What version of pactor does this? I agree it could be an advantage.
Quote:
Maybe it's a problem with osx, but it _does_ ship with pre-configured alignment for all the internet sites.
Quote:
Yes. monochrome tiff is smaller than jpeg and tiff is lossless.
Quote:
(5) (Feature Request) Could the "Fax retrieved less than 180 minutes ago" dialog have a "Yes to All" option?
Good idea.
Quote:
(6) (OSX-specific bug) My preferences/configuration is in ~/Library/Preferences/plugins/weatherfax/ - shouldn't there be an OpenCPN in the path (~/Library/Preferences/OpenCPN/plugins/weatherfax/)?
Shouldn't it be in ~/.opencpn/plugins/weatherfax ?
Quote:
(7) (Bug?) Two charts are mapping to the same line in CoordinateSets.xml meaning that when I get one aligned it knocks the other off. Should they use something more unique (like the URL) for matching? -
<Map Url="P_sfc_full_ocean.jpg" Contents="Pacific ocean Analysis" Area="1" />
<Map Url="P_sfc_full_ocean_color.png" Contents="Pacific ocean Analysis - color" Area="1" />

map to

<Coordinate Name="NOAA Ocean Prediction Center - Pacific - 1" X1="121" Y1="263" Lat1="60.00000" Lon1="140.00000" X2="2520" Y2="1581" Lat2="20.00000" Lon2="-120.00000" Mapping="Mercator" MappingMultiplier="1.0000" MappingRatio="1.0000" />
Good catch I need to fix this by using a different area for the color one... Cannot use the name or url because many images have the same coordinates so it is desirable for them to share them. I must have thought they had the same coordinates.
Quote:
(8) (Feature request) Nudging the red and green lines to their proper spots is so easy and accurate with the arrow buttons - but could you reverse the buttons (or swap the icons) so the down arrow moves the line down and the up arrow moves it up? Right/left arrows for longitude would offer another visual clue. Labelling them "Upper Left" and "Lower Right" might clarify things.
Hmm... I normally don't care about such things. Basically it's using a generic spin control, and the actual x and y coordinates are modified as such. To do what you want would require a custom widget.
Quote:
(9) (Feature request) Saving the downloaded material in multiple directories by date/model run instead of overwriting would be great, but would require baking the update schedule in somehow.
So you want to keep the older images? It's already a problem that they don't get readily removed. I'm not really sure how to implement this.
Quote:
(10) (Nit) In WeatherFaxInternetRetrieval.xml under Pt Reyes
<Map Url="PWBI10.TIF" Contents="8HR SURFACE FORECAST" Area="1" />
should be
<Map Url="PWBI10.TIF" Contents="48HR SURFACE FORECAST" Area="1" />

Wow, wow, thank you very much.
thanks, I made the correction
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 18:00   #201

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Good ideas. When you get to using it more, you can register and edit the wiki too.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 22:56   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I'm going to need some help from Peter getting my source/build environment straight, then I'll update the wiki.

Quote:
What version of pactor does this? I agree it could be an advantage.
I think all Pactors work this way - PactorIIIusb+ICOM was a fairly common setup around here before sat phones. There's ancient but excellent free PC software from sailmail/airmail to drive them including automated tuning, propagation tables, grib-via-email, and wefax decode/display.

Quote:
Maybe it's a problem with osx, but it _does_ ship with pre-configured alignment for all the internet sites.
I don't see where the files in weatherfax_pi/data get installed which may explain my issue. Copying CoordinateSets.xml to the right place will fix this.

Quote:
Shouldn't it be in ~/.opencpn/plugins/weatherfax ?
~/.opencpn should map to ~/Library/Preferences/open on OSX. It looks like "opencpn" isn't getting inserted into all paths, so I have a ~/Library/Preferences/plugins/weatherfax

My most basic question for Peter is, "what directory do you git clone into?" I've tried OpenCPN/plugins and an independent top-level directory; both have problems.

Second question - does "cd build ; cmake ..; make; make install" just work, or are there manual steps copying files/directories to where OpenCPN.app can see them?

I'm happy with command lines, though the whizzy Xcode IDE has some allure.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 00:15   #203

Quote:
I'm going to need some help from Peter getting my source/build environment straight, then I'll update the wiki.

My most basic question for Peter is, "what directory do you git clone into?" I've tried OpenCPN/plugins and an independent top-level directory; both have problems.

You can git clone in any directory you want somewhere in your home structure. Remember we build for OSX 10.7. So you need the SDK for 10.7
and then export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7 to set the right environment.

Second question - does "cd build ; cmake ..; make; make install" just work, or are there manual steps copying files/directories to where OpenCPN.app can see them?

I normally do "makedir build ; cd build ; cmake .. ; make ; make create-pkg" (which need program Packages) which will build a complete package that will take care of all path problems. I think that make install does not install extra files etc. But I am not sure of that as I don't use it.

I'm happy with command lines, though the whizzy Xcode IDE has some allure.
Peter
Old 08-05-2015, 01:21   #204

Fogmachine,

You can check the readme file on the github/ptulp/Logbookkonni-1.2 page
for the details of how to build on OSX.

Peter
Old 08-05-2015, 03:06   #205

Peter
I have not checked the Developer documentation recently, but is there anything written for compiling with a Mac OS? Might be good to start that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2015, 03:17   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Peter
I have not checked the Developer documentation recently, but is there anything written for compiling with a Mac OS? Might be good to start that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
There is some info on how to compile OpenCPN for OSX.
I don't think there is info about howto compile for plugins.
But basically it is the same except for the creation of the package.

Peter
Old 13-06-2015, 11:01   #207

Hi,

I've been running OpenCPN since November when I left Hampton, VA and cruised all the way to the BVIs... and I love it.
I recently switched to a Mac (OS X 10.10.2) and I'd like to be able to use the Weather Fax Plug In.
I did some research and I found the source code from Sean's website, but I don't know how to compile it. Thus I was wondering whether,
a) Is it possible to get the plug-in already compiled.
b) Is there any good step by step guide on how to compile it (for someone who is new to Mac)

Best,

Joaquin
Old 13-06-2015, 11:14   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg81 View Post
Hi,

I've been running OpenCPN since November when I left Hampton, VA and cruised all the way to the BVIs... and I love it.
I recently switched to a Mac (OS X 10.10.2) and I'd like to be able to use the Weather Fax Plug In.
I did some research and I found the source code from Sean's website, but I don't know how to compile it. Thus I was wondering whether,
a) Is it possible to get the plug-in already compiled.
b) Is there any good step by step guide on how to compile it (for someone who is new to Mac)

Best,

Joaquin
Joaquin,

You can download the plugin here:
https://github.com/ptulp/weatherfax_...es/tag/v1.4001
As I don't have any radio equipment, I could not test that part.
But the faxes from the internet should work.

Peter
Old 13-06-2015, 11:18   #209

In the README file of the Logbookkonni plugin is some info of how to build a plugin for OSX.

https://github.com/delatbabel/LogbookKonni-1.2
Old 14-06-2015, 05:16   #210

Hey Guys, this is great stuff you're posting and doing! It would be so much better to put the wfax stuff into the main Weatherfax thread which is here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1841332 Much appreciated.

Great that weatherfax_pi is being picked up and tested by the OSX group.. there is no doubt this plugin is an essential tool.

This thread was originally intended for notification when any of his plugins were updated and where to download the Windows beta version.

Threads for all of Sean's plugins are here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1841332
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1816078
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1841323
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1844096
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1728337
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1845551
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1812748
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1747026
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-144542.html

Since we will be testing all of these plugins for the OpenCPN 4.1.602 upgrades it might be a good idea to post results/questions etc into these threads (and bug reports into Tracker) so things don't get too confused.

Thanks.

Tags
plug