Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 15:38   #1

Boat: Richter 42
s63 charts not working with AHO 26-2016 base DVD

Hi,
I have just tried to install the latest s63 charts from the Australian Hydro office and they don't seem to work. I have been using successfully the s63 plugin for the last couple of years. Occasionally there has been an issue installing chart updates, but a clean install of the charts with the latest updates has worked in the past. However, with the new 26-2016 base DVD from the AHO the charts are not working no matter how I try to install them.

The install process does get some errors, but not every chart is showing in error mode during the install. After the install none of the charts will show up with errors in the opencpn.log file complaining about each chart that is being attempted to display.

I have used the latest install from ppapencpn/opencpn on Linux Mint 17.3 and my own compiles on Linux Mint 18 and Raspberry PI and the all exhibit the same issue.

Jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf issue with aus s63 26-2016 base.zip.pdf (427.7 KB, 71 views)
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 17:41   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: s63 charts not working with AHO 26-2016 base DVD

I assume that you're using the latest version of the plugin? Nothing in your log excerpts shows the plugin loading.

/ Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 18:48   #3

Thomas,
Sorry about the missing information. Attached is a copy of the install process and the full relevant opencpn.log. I am using 1.04 of s63 and 1.07 of OCPNsenc as supplied out of the ppa repository.

Regards
Jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf enc 26-2016 base install over working 24-2016.zip.pdf (54.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 15-07-2016, 08:55   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jon,

to exclude a general problem I installed the charts under Win 8.1
The 2016-26 base set downloaded this noon from AHO/AHS

No problems or errors during install and the cells do show up correctly.
Will try the update set 2016-28 next (a bit later).

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 09:13   #5
bcn

Applying the updates 2016-28 on top of base 2016-26 is ok as well here
Old 15-07-2016, 17:29   #6

OK, I have done more testing on Windows 10, I did the following.
  • Parallel installed OCPN 4.4.0 from the download pages
  • Installed s63 plugin from the download pages into the new OCPN 4.4.0
  • Uninstalled the charts (removed the permits)
  • Installed base 02-2016 permits and charts - all OK
  • Updated to 24-2016 over 02-2016 - all OK
  • Updated to 26-2016 over 24-2016 - not OK
  • Uninstalled the charts
  • Installed clean 26-2016 base - not OK
I have attached a zip file containing individual files for both the chart update window and the associated opencpn.logs. I have labelled these for easy (I hope) identification.

I did get a couple of windows crashes, but was unable to identify what was the issue (windows didn't tell me and nothing appeared in the OCPN log). It appeared to be to do with OCPNsenc.exe, but.... When the crash occurred I undid what I was doing and redid it. The crash did not happen again when I did this. I don't have a development environment on this machine as it is used for navigation and not development. I do have quite a few parallel installs on it as I was testing various versions of OCPN from the 3.1 days through to now.

For me at least there is something different about the 26-2016 base charts that is causing issues on Windows, Ubuntu and Raspbian. I do have a working version on my Linux Mint 18 cinnamon (Ubuntu 16.04) 64bit machine, but any compilation I do on that machine I cannot use on the other Linux machines due to the change in GCC/GNU compiler and, what appears to be, and upgrade in a couple of libs and wxWidgets. I am trying to use a virtual machine version of Linux Mint 17.3 to build suitable modules, but I have not managed it yet.

What is surprising is that all the platforms I have issues with are showing the same symptoms. I currently don't have a windows 8 machine to test with as I unfortunately upgraded them to windows 10 hoping for a better experience.

Jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf s63 base charts not installing -part 2.zip.pdf (215.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 16-07-2016, 00:47   #7
bcn

Jon,

got my hands on a W10 (32bit, slow) 10" PC.
Installed 4.4.0, S-63 1.4.3

Installed 2016-26 base - no error
Installed 2016-28 accumulated update - no error
No crashes neither.

The data used are the zipped files from AHS.

Just in case: did you try to download the 2016-26 again? And compared it to the one you were using?

Hubert
Old 16-07-2016, 23:12   #8

Hi,
It looks like the DVD shipped to me is no good (or has some errors in the files). If I download the zip file from the AHO web site and use that it all works OK. If I use the DVD, either in a drive or copied to a HDD, it fails in most instances. I have had one successful install on my Mint 16 system and a partial OK install, errors were reported but charts do show, on my navigation Mint 17. So I have given up on the DVD and am now using the download file. I will update my report to the AHO with this information.

Many thanks for helping me identify what was wrong.

Regards
Jon
Old 17-07-2016, 06:16   #9

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am struggling to work through the message/information in this thread. It seems to be developers talking to each other?

My question is whether the S63 Plugin (all fees paid) enables one to access the AHO ENC Packs through AHO accredited suppliers, at the AHO costs on their website. Such as for their Coastal ENC Packs.

This means one can buy outside ChartWorld? which seems to be currently the only S63 supplier to OPCN??

After searching the AHO site, I could not find any reference to AHO 26-2016 base, or how to download it.

Any help much appreciated

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 06:47   #10
bcn

Lee...

the S-63 UserPermit for OpenCPN (plus the plug-in in place) allows to approach all the so called VARs or S-63 chart providers.

This includes of course the providers in Australia for the AHO/AHS chart portfolios and packages.
Jon is using these and had problems with the media delivered by his provider.
The download for the cells here:
Australian Hydrographic Service - Product Downloads
You will need the proper license file on base of your UserPermit from a reseller to install.
Additional information and documents on the o-charts.org/download page.

Other VARs OpenCPN users licensed charts from are Chartworld - the by far biggest number - and others from Admiralty or Primar (or their resellers).
Even some Marine with it's own S-63 server has S-63 charts running under OpenCPN.

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUS.PNG
Views:	92
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	127905  
Old 17-07-2016, 14:24   #11

Lee,
According to the AHO all suppliers of any of their products HAVE to supply all of their products. So, theoretically, if you walked into a chandler that was selling paper AHO charts they also have to sell the s63 electronic charts as well. The price is set by the AHO, so all suppliers should be the same price. I use Carins Charts (Cairns Charts & Maps), not because they are close (other end of the east coast in fact), but they have been helpful and are quick and responsive.

I have been using these charts since the plugin was in beta. There have been issues as some updates have been 'difficult' to install and others, like the current 26-2016 base charts on DVD, for me at least, don't install cleanly. The downloadable files do. I started this thread so that others, if they have difficulties with this DVD, would have something to look at and see it was being worked on. This is not a developers thread for this issue, but it does contain the details and testing that has been done to try and resolve the issue.

If you follow the instructions at o-charts.org for the licensing of the 'keys' needed to unlock the charts it is fairly straight forward. From a standing start you 'should' be up and going in about 48 hours elapsed at worst and about 15 minutes of effort to be at the point of installing charts. The elapsed time is due to 0-charts being run by people in Europe, and the fact that your chart order has to be processed by the supplier, then the AHO before you get the email telling you all is OK. Seems a long time, but it isn't really. At each renewal it shouldn't take you more that 5 minutes to get it done. You will receive emails every 2 weeks with updated permits to install and a pointer to where the updated charts are. You can choose to install or not these updates. As demonstrated by this forum message you should really backup (copy somewhere else on your disk) the relevant directories BEFORE the update in case it doesn't work.

Once you have these charts installed they are 'official' charts and count as such on your boat. If you are commercial then you 'may' also be required to carry the up to date paper charts as well.

Jon
Old 17-07-2016, 19:30   #12

Hubert and Jon

Thank you very much for your replies, I am now clear on the situation. I was under the misapprehension that O-Charts had an agreement only with Chartworld. My fault for not keeping up to date with O-Charts documentation. And Jon, thanks for the link to Cairns Charts, I found their site most helpful.

Now, a couple of further questions, not related to Jon's install problems: O-Charts says that up to 5 installs are tolerated; for redundancy, I run three identical laptops, each up to date, in case of failure.....would I reasonably be able to install on each?? (Just in case you are wondering, my machines are ex lease Dells that I buy for about $100 each. Identical so I can swap parts if need be.)

And also, when the ENC license times out/expires, is the warning discreet, or plastered across the display making the ENC unusable?

Just as an aside, I have been using SOB with C-Map Max as my main charting software, with OpenCPN and CM-93 Ed2 as backup. Now considering making the jump to OpenCPN with S63 charts as my main tool. (also have Navionics on android tablet....will keep that.)

Thanks for any comments.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 20:19   #13

Lee,
My belief is that when the license expires for the charts you loose the ability to update them, but the charts will continue to work. So, if this were to happen you would need to ensure that you had the latest changes BEFORE the expiry date. Once the date is reached no updates can be applied.

Jon
Old 17-07-2016, 21:17   #14
bcn

Lee,

the message that charts are expired is oblidged by S-63, but is quite unobstructive (see below)
How you use your installs is up to you.
They are thought to allow for back-ups mainly. Plus the situation that your Windows for example will update and you are ending up with a new system (from the plug-in's point of view).
So your decision

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-18 06_11_16-.png
Views:	176
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	127944  
Old 18-07-2016, 19:48   #15

Hubert and Jon,