Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 01:18   #1
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,713
S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

We just want to share one chart that did puzzle us the last days.

Thought to be some error displaying the chart, but no, it has this shape and content. One chart, three jig-saw puzzle pieces.

Somebody here who can enlighten us what a cartographer might have thought designing and publishing such a piece of art?
This is the Italian chart IT300910

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-01 10_06_14-OpenCPN 4.4.0-IT300910.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	132056  
__________________

__________________
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:19   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,233
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
We just want to share one chart that did puzzle us the last days.

Thought to be some error displaying the chart, but no, it has this shape and content. One chart, three jig-saw puzzle pieces.

Somebody here who can enlighten us what a cartographer might have thought designing and publishing such a piece of art?
This is the Italian chart IT300910

Hubert
Am I right that the three jigsaw pieces are the only pieces this chart covers, which is why Saridinia and Corsica have been reduce to rough shapes? So zoom in on them and see what they show.
It is odd, but looking at the chart catalog for Italy on Chartworld they seem to have several maps of that kind (the whole 3009xx series). I suppose they serve to add detail to other charts, and are not meant to be used as stand alone maps.
How did you get these? As part of a big bundle.
__________________

__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:56   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Monastir, Tunisia
Boat: Westerly Pentland
Posts: 1,735
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

This is a screenshot with some italian charts I once downloaded from internet. It seems to be dated on year 2005.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bnc.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	132062  
__________________
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:45   #4
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,713
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Am I right that the three jigsaw pieces are the only pieces this chart covers, which is why Saridinia and Corsica have been reduce to rough shapes? So zoom in on them and see what they show.
It is odd, but looking at the chart catalog for Italy on Chartworld they seem to have several maps of that kind (the whole 3009xx series). I suppose they serve to add detail to other charts, and are not meant to be used as stand alone maps.
How did you get these? As part of a big bundle.
You can get this chart as a single chart - as all the S-63 charts. It has been published this way and has been updated in 2015. There are other charts from the same series that are showing as well some coverage of Sardinia (land) plus some unconnected offshore details. Zooming in will not show more details. For sure one can add other chart but the question remains what has been the motivation or idea of the Italian Marine to publish such an artifact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbIT300910.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	132065  
__________________
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,233
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
You can get this chart as a single chart - as all the S-63 charts. It has been published this way and has been updated in 2015. There are other charts from the same series that are showing as well some coverage of Sardinia (land) plus some unconnected offshore details. Zooming in will not show more details. For sure one can add other chart but the question remains what has been the motivation or idea of the Italian Marine to publish such an artifact.
Maybe it is an artifact of detailed marine surveys (maybe for off shore windmill parks) that somehow got in to the chart catalog.
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:01   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,233
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
You can get this chart as a single chart - as all the S-63 charts.
Just something else: Can you also conveniently get bundles of S-63 charts? It is what is keeping me on "proprietary" solutions for the moment. With for example Transas iSailor I can easily get the charts for a whole area, at reasonable prices, without having to dig through lists of S-63 charts...
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:51   #7
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,713
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Chartworld is offering for example Navionics charts sets in S-63 format.

Or you have chart browser programs from Chartworld, Primar or Admiralty that will pick all the charts for a given route.
Australia is licensing their S-63 charts for the leisure market in different sets as well.
Price level as apps, no.

Hubert
__________________
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:52   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,230
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

I guess that it's because they started ENC charts by converting existing paper charts. Suddenly they found out that there are some minor areas that were not covered at a given scale.
Quick Solution -> make a chart consisting of cells that covers the gaps.
Hopefully they will adjust concerned charts in the future and do away with this kind of ugly stopgap "charts".

Strange solutions exists elsewhere. At least until a few years ago US published ENC-cells with "holes" in, for example.

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:30   #9
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Masachusetts
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,763
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Are you sure that opencpn calculated the regions correctly?
__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50   #10
bcn
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: underway whenever possible
Boat: Rangeboat 39
Posts: 2,713
Re: S-63 Strange species from the world of charts

Yes, drawn exactly as shown in the catalogues. See #4 here.

Most probably Thomas gave the correct explanation, but I would like to hear this from an "official" voice.
__________________

__________________
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charts

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Killing invasive species? Jhhastie Monohull Sailboats 12 29-03-2016 09:11
Books of Marine Species Camelot The Library 5 22-10-2010 02:01
Dangerous marine species around the world Whimsical Fishing, Recreation & Fun 4 20-08-2008 06:54
Invasive species? knottybuoyz Great Lakes 9 25-05-2007 01:12


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.