Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 13:01   #46

Re: S-63 plug-in for OpenCPN

Hello,
what will be the minimum Linux hardware requirements. Does it work with no network interface card and root on SSD Disk.
portside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:13   #47

Hi portside,

just send your fingerprint now in the test phase, and we will see.

Renate
o-charts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 11:43   #48

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello Hubert,

I see that the first version of plugin (phase II) was on line.
So I dowload it and try to install it.

In my PC there is OpenCPN (3.2.2) and many other bêta 3.3.x from OpenCPN 3.3.604 to 3.3.1303.

Stagely, it try to install the plugin in the 3.3.1117.

But when I search the plugin, it was in 3.2.2.

Then I copy the folder in 3.3.1303. And I try to activate it.

It seem that all is Ok but I have this window (see screen copy) during the activation.

After this, I can unactivate or activate the plugin and this window do not appear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-14_Reseau.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	73941  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 11:57   #49

Hi Gilletarom,

you have been too fast.....

Dave will publish later the how-to install and work with the plug-in.

Install-directory: the (Windows)installer asks where to install and most probably your latest path has been that to 1117, so the pi got installed there.

The warning/question of Windows about permissions to use Network connections is due to the communication between the modules. Dave will be able to explain that better than me.

The test will be with the S-64 Test set - but let us wait for Dave to explain that as well.

Please stay tuned (with a little bit of patience).....
Old 14-01-2014, 12:56   #50

Hello Hubert

Sorry for my speeding. I started by looking if there was documentation and if there was something new to translate. Seeing that there was nothing I did as always. I followed the usual method.

Just a confirmation. The installation software did not ask which version NMSO you had to install the plugin. He immediately announced that he would in the 331117 version and placed in the 322 release.

B.R.
Old 14-01-2014, 13:05   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post

Just a confirmation. The installation software did not ask which version NMSO you had to install the plugin. He immediately announced that he would in the 331117 version and placed in the 322 release.

B.R.
The installer proposes a path where to install - from the latest installation of OpenCPN. You can change this. (One usually skips this point, happened to us as well and then you are searching where the hell the PI got installed)
That's the same as with the standard installer for OpenCPN.
Old 14-01-2014, 13:30   #52

Boat: Dufour 35

A few observations, following in the footsteps of "speedy" Gilletarom.

Testing on 64 bits Linux.
The plugin should test if it's installing on a 32 or 64 bits system. As it is, the 32 bit plugin does install on a 64 bit system. The error comes at runtime. From the log.
Code:
Error: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libs63_pi.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Not very user friendly.

Another observation. The plugin targets "/user/local". This may work for experienced testers, but create problems for most. All Linux releases, weather official releases or betas, nowadays targets "/usr". So... the plugin should install in "/usr/lib/opencpn/", to avoid problems for testers/users.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 13:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
A few observations, following in the footsteps of "speedy" Gilletarom.

Testing on 64 bits Linux.
The plugin should test if it's installing on a 32 or 64 bits system. As it is, the 32 bit plugin does install on a 64 bit system. The error comes at runtime. From the log.
Code:
Error: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libs63_pi.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Not very user friendly.

Thomas
Yeah, most probably we will need a 64bit Linux version anyhow.
Old 14-01-2014, 13:45   #54

hello Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-charts View Post
The installer proposes a path where to install - from the latest installation of OpenCPN. You can change this. (One usually skips this point, happened to us as well and then you are searching where the hell the PI got installed)
That's the same as with the standard installer for OpenCPN.
I understand Hubert. But this is not what happened.

I have another to re-install and here the screen copy of each window that appear.

And there is no new folder in 3.3.1117 install. The folder is in 3.2.2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-01-148s6-S63_1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	73947   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-148s6-S63_2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	73948  

Name:	2014-01-148s6-S63_3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	73949   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-148s6-S63_4.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	73950  

Name:	2014-01-148s6-S63_5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	73951   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-148s6-S63_6.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	73952  

Old 14-01-2014, 13:59   #55

Boat: Everything that has a sail and more

Seems to work on my Mac:

Have no charts which I can use but would love to test it!
jeroenimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 14:05   #56

I see -

the "3.3.1117" from the installer is for sure just a "leftover" that should read 3.3.1303

I'm getting the screen where to select the install directory (see below).
(Win7 and Win8)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S63-PI_install.png
Views:	273
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	73953  
Old 14-01-2014, 14:17   #57

Ok,

for those who don't want to sleep this night :

S-64 UserPermit: 66B5CBFDF7E4139D5B6086C23130
The S-64 test set site:
http://www.iho.int/iho_pubs/standard..._Encrypted.zip

To have a look into the kitchen:

THIS IS A PREVIEW!!

a. Navigate to "Options->Charts->S63 Charts->Import Cell Permits...".

b. In the Userpermit dialog, enter the Test Userpermit as given above. Copy/Paste is probably easiest here. Click the "Test" button to validate your Userpermit against your computer. Note that the Test Userpermit is by definition valid for any machine. A valid Userpermit is saved in the OpenCPN configuration file, so only needs to be entered once.
USE HERE THE S-64 PERMIT

c. In the File selection dialog, navigate to a "PERMIT.TXT" file in any test scenario of the S-64 Test Set previously downloaded. Many test scenarios are included, with lots of information in the documentation.

Perhaps the best to start with is:
IHO S-64 [S-63 TDS v1.2]/8 Data Exchange Media/Test 8b/PERMIT.TXT

This scenario will import permits and chart cells for ten individual charts, all interesting.

d. You will note that while the S63 PlugIn is importing cells, the screen dialog contains a window pane showing debug information on the process. This debug pane is called "S63_pi Log" In case of difficulties, a screen shot of this logging/debug window will be critical to analyzing the fault.

Test the imported S-63 chart cells as you would any other S-57 charts.

Important is at this moment the user interface and the workflow!
You are on your own, without manual and with an Alpha version
Old 14-01-2014, 15:50   #58
Marine Service Provider

Hello alpha testers....

Early adopters ("heat-seekers" in the computer biz) are amazing. How do you find this stuff before it is announced?

Well, now that the ice is broken, here are the "official" alpha test user instructions. Please disregard anything else you may know and defer to this post only.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 15:51   #59
Marine Service Provider

The S-63 PlugIn Version 0.1.0 is now ready for limited Alpha testing.

Since S-63 charts will be a new topic for many users, an introduction is in order.

The international standard for protection, validation, and distribution of proprietary S-57 ENCs is known as S-63. Among other means of security, the S-63 scheme uses what is known as a "Userpermit" to associate a particular computer with a set of authorized S-57 compatible chart cells. This is a typical user workflow:

a. Acquire a Userpermit for the target computer. This is a long number that looks something like this:
66B5CBFDF7E4139D5B6086C23130
The Userpermit is tied to a specific computer and ECS software. It is useless if exported and moved to another machine. For example, a Userpermit for OpenCPN will not work for MaxSea or PolarNavy, or vice versa.

b. Contact an authorized S-63 chart VAR (e.g.ChartWorld Gmbh). Select the desired S-57 chart cells. Give the Userpermit number to the VAR. This is often done online.

c. The VAR will create a set of compressed and encrypted ENCs specific to your Userpermit. The key file in this set is called "PERMIT.TXT". This file contains a set of cell permits which will unlock the purchased cells. These charts will be unusable on any computer or ECS software other than the one associated with your Userpermit.

d. Install the new chart cells on your computer by accessing or importing the file "PERMIT.TXT" in your chart navigation software (e.g. OpenCPN).

e. Use the charts as any other vector (S-57) chart.

So, now onwards to testing.

Due to the encrypted nature of S-63 chart sets, generic testing of S-63 chart support is more complicated. Fortunatley, the administrators of the S-63 scheme recognize this problem, and have made available a test set solution. This testing mechanism is known as "The IHO S-64 Test Data Sets for S-63 Encrypted ENCs", herinafter referred to as the "S-64 Test Set". Among other things, the S64 Test Set contains a number of test scenarios to validate the system decryption capabilities and cell integrity, Documentation is included in the Test Set.

Recall that the S-63 scheme associates a particular encrypted chart cell with a specific computer, by means of the Userpermit. So, you may wonder how the S-64 Test Set would be useful, if it was created with a particular Userpermit in mind. Here is how that works: In order to be usable by anyone, the S-64 Test Set incorporates a well-kown, published "Test Userpermit". All ECDIS/ECS system vendors wishing to support the S-64 Test Set agree apriori to recognise the "TestUserpermit" as always valid, and will not require any specific machine hardware installation check. Thus, the Test Set will be accessable to any conforming S-63 implementation, including OpenCPN.

The well-known Test Userpermit is: "66B5CBFDF7E4139D5B6086C23130"

Alpha testing of the OpenCPN S63 PlugIn is accomplished thus:

1. Download and install OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1303 or later.

2. Download the S63 Plugin for your particular architecture (Windows, linux, or Mac)

3. Install the S63 PlugIn, according to your system type.
a. Windows: Run the s63_pi_0.1.0_setup.exe application.
b. linux: Install the s63_pi/build/s63_pi_0.1.0-_i386.deb using dpkg, viz.
$sudo dpkg --install s63_pi_0.1.0-_i386.deb
c. Mac: Right-click->Show Package Contents of your installed runtime OpenCPN in Finder. Copy the entire directory "s63_pi" (from the downloaded s63 PlugIn .dmg) into the OpenCPN "PlugIns" directory.

4. Download the S-64 Test Set
Explanation:
ECDIS TEST DATA SETS
Download:
http://www.iho.int/iho_pubs/standard..._Encrypted.zip

5. Start OpenCPN as normal.

6. Options->PlugIns->Enable the S63_pi.

a. Navigate to "Options->Charts->S63 Charts->Import Cell Permits...".

b. In the Userpermit dialog, enter the Test Userpermit as given above. Copy/Paste is probably easiest here. Click the "Test" button to validate your Userpermit against your computer. Note that the Test Userpermit is by definition valid for any machine. A valid Userpermit is saved in the OpenCPN configuration file, so only needs to be entered once.

c. In the File selection dialog, navigate to a "PERMIT.TXT" file in any test scenario of the S-64 Test Set previously downloaded. Many test scenarios are included, with lots of information in the documentation.

Perhaps the best to start with is:
IHO S-64 [S-63 TDS v1.2]/8 Data Exchange Media/Test 8b/PERMIT.TXT

This scenario will import permits and chart cells for ten individual charts, all interesting.

d. You will note that while the S63 PlugIn is importing cells, the screen dialog contains a window pane showing debug information on the process. This debug pane is called "S63_pi Log" In case of difficulties, a screen shot of this logging/debug window will be critical to analyzing the fault.

8. Test the imported S-63 chart cells as you would any other S-57 charts.

Technical Notes:

1. The S63 PlugIn distribution contains two files:
a. The PlugIn dynamic library iteslf. This library is Open Source (GPL2). The source is available on github. https://github.com/bdbcat/s63_pi
b. OCPNsenc, an executable "helper" application. OCPNsenc is closed source, and handles all of the the sensitive S-63 decryption keys and mechanisms. The OCPNsenc binary is included in the s63_pi github source tree, and treated as a "binary blob". OCPNsenc runs as a separate process from OpenCPN, and communicates only by means of the native command line interface and file system. In this way, it may be distributed as a closed source element of an open source project.
Old 14-01-2014, 16:01   #60
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom....

Obviously some problem with the installer.

The installer looks into the registry to find the most recent OCPN full install, and uses that to establish the PlugIn install directory.

Can you tell us more about your OCPN directory structure? Old versions installed, locations, etc?

Thanks
Dave

Thanks
Dave

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug